Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That seems lower than what they were indicating but I guess we’ll see by October what their ambitions are. A bit depressing seeing current links of cash, swift and co

I have no issue with steady progression to be honest. 

But if our owners expect big things then they need to make big things happen in the transfer market. 

Expectations need to match resources. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the mistake we made last season was not bringing in any players with decent Prem league experience. I think of the outfield players we brought in Targett was the most experienced with 20 odd Prem league appearances.

The need to bring in players with Prem league experience this season isn't so great simply because last years players have a Prem season behind them now and will be much stronger for it. I think that started to show at the end of the season.

There is a decent core to the team. Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish. Targett also looks good enough to be starting week in week out. I think we therefore need 4 or 5 players to come in to the first 11 better than what we have now and I think we are capable of doing that over the next 5 weeks. If we do I see no reason why we can't kick on and achieve a mid table finish.

We bring in a goal scorer, a top winger and keep grealish and we have a real chance of getting around 10th. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That seems lower than what they were indicating but I guess we’ll see by October what their ambitions are. A bit depressing seeing current links of cash, swift and co

Its certainly setting the bar a bit low imo......they could work out well, but they are hardly the sort of players that would encourage, better.

players are not daft, money is the first attraction, sure......but playing with good players, comes a close second.

I still think we need a stellar signing, but I am not confudent of it happening in this window.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the mistake we made last season was not bringing in any players with decent Prem league experience. I think of the outfield players we brought in Targett was the most experienced with 20 odd Prem league appearances.

The need to bring in players with Prem league experience this season isn't so great simply because last years players have a Prem season behind them now and will be much stronger for it. I think that started to show at the end of the season.

There is a decent core to the team. Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish. Targett also looks good enough to be starting week in week out. I think we therefore need 4 or 5 players to come in to the first 11 better than what we have now and I think we are capable of doing that over the next 5 weeks. If we do I see no reason why we can't kick on and achieve a mid table finish.

Well said Mark.....where have you been?

interesting to think, that if we sign Cash, its quite possible that our entire back 5 could be English (Heaton, Targett, Mings, Konsa, Cash), wonder if any other Prem teams could say that?

• Like 1

We have to improve the squad. Starters and those challenging. If you think we have enough depth and just need a few superstars, you're wrong.

We had nothing like a squad before last summer and we still have lack of depth of quality in many positions.

We are definitely looking at getting expensive players that should start games but they won't all be like that. We still have to box clever to improve the squad depth. Our bench at times last sesson looked like a waste of time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I do. 

First we establish ourselves in the league over several seasons. Then we establish ourselves in midtable, THEN you go thinking about top 6. 

Trouble is that requires patience and a very large number of Villa fans can’t wait that long.

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Can we replace the "Academy" level of posts under people's names with "Potential Troll" please?

I like having other fans on the board (even our new stalkers from Yorkshire), but only when they fly their own colours.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Spot on 

Just now, Awol said:

I like having other fans on the board (even our new stalkers from Yorkshire), but only when they fly their own colours.

Totally, there's been some really good input from other fans on here since I've been on here. It's pretending to be a villan to post gobshite that seems to be on the increase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We have to improve the squad. Starters and those challenging. If you think we have enough depth and just need a few superstars, you're wrong.

We had nothing like a squad before last summer and we still have lack of depth of quality in many positions.

We are definitely looking at getting expensive players that should start games but they won't all be like that. We still have to box clever to improve the squad depth. Our bench at times last sesson looked like a waste of time.

Exactly. Those big names, if we land them, will also likely be the cherries on the cake later in the window. Happy to see the bread and butter issues sorted first.*

*apart from Rashica, that one is like having a stone in your shoe. 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I still think we need a stellar signing, but I am not confudent of it happening in this window.

For an old sod you’ve still got plenty of impatient teenager in you TRO. 😋

Who was the stellar signing when Ron Saunders built the 1980/81 team? Surely it is always about building a good team. There are lots of examples of teams that are full of big names but don’t get the results that on paper they should. 

Don’t get me wrong a big signing has it’s merits. It creates a buzz about I the club and can have a positive effect on future recruitment. Ultimately though it’s a team game and a good team will, more often than not, beat a group of good individuals, regardless of individual talent levels. 

The way we finished last season and the spirit that the team seems to have at the moment, would suggest that we are building a team. Hopefully will add more quality to that over the coming weeks, without losing the togetherness. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smg said:

Trouble is that requires patience and a very large number of Villa fans can’t wait that long.

I know. The same people that wanted Smith sacked his first season before we went on the record breaking winning run before getting promoted, are also the same people that wanted Deano sacked in the covid break, before we stayed up. And it's the same people having stupid expectations now and being very loud about how the leadership of the club haven't delivered. 

Very predictable. 

• Like 4

i would probably be happy with this squad (trying to be realistic)

Heaton

Cash (12m) - Konsa - Mings - Targett

MC (25m?) - Luiz - McGinn

Benrahma or Buendia or Rashica (25m) - Watkins (25m) - Grealish

Squad: Steer, GK [Loan - cover Heaton until fit/competition], Henry (15m), Hause, Engels, Guilbert, Nakamba, Hourihane, Swift (8m), El Ghazi, Trez, Jota, Wesley, Samatta.

Sell/Release: Nyland, Kalinic, Bree, Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury, Hogan.

Loan: Davis (if signs new contract)

No idea who i would like for the new MC, any thoughts?

thats 110m spent total. (would love Edouard, but just dont see it - i can hope)

• Like 1