Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I’d be quite happy to sign Swift, obviously not as our only signing but as depth to challenge the first eleven. He’s a former Chelsea youth player (aren’t they all?), he’s spent time on loan at Brentford and had a good season last year. For the price touted, I’m sure he’d be more worth than Lansbury. 

He’s a central midfielder with some good attributes:

B5592843-1EC2-4D2D-BDB7-F50AA27EEBB1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Forget the shit for toothpaste jibe, I'd use her piss for mouthwash. 

As Michael O'Donahue once said:  I'd crawl naked through 12 miles of broken glass just to let her piss on my toothbrush.

30 minutes ago, rayk said:

Can you imagine if our first signing is Jonathan Swift?

That would be meltdown....

If he were the first and last, then yes. He looks a decent player to me and if we can get him for considerably less than the "new normal" Championship price of £20m, then it's a yes from me. 

Edited by John

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not quite sure why you would take away the penalties, though - they still counted as goals last time I looked. Take away Hourihane’s free kicks and where are you?

More generally, you have somehow produced  numbers that purport to show that Wesley did better than Deeney last season.By doing so, you may have reduced the serious science of statistics to a laughing stock.

The penalties count in the matches for sure, but we don't know how responsible Deeney was for getting them. He was just the team's designated penalty taker. The reason I bring it up is that looking at goals from open play or set pieces rather than penalties show a much stronger correlation for future performance. 

For instance, in Italy this season, Ciro Immobile scored 36 goals, the most in the league. He more than doubled his tally from the season before (15). Why? A major reason for the increase was that this season he scored on 14 penalties. The year before he only had 4. The data from recent seasons and different players suggests this means he's far more likely to score closer to 15 goals again this year than the 36 total. 

Long story, short: Every goal counts in a match no matter how it's scored, but when trying to get an idea of future performance, non-penalty goals are much better indicators of a player's scoring ability.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

At least we made some youth signings. Maybe one of them will make the step up

...in three or four years.

just kidding. I like that the club are bringing in what are deemed by, those who know, quality prospects

Dear God!!!  671 pages to try to prove that 2 + 2 =  20  million.

There must be people who literally live in this thread.

After drifting from 1/3 to 4/6, we are now back in to 1/3 for Watkins.  Health warning attached.

Edited by SirSteveUK

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I heard that before. Next time you hear of the kids they are playing in second division in Finland.

The same thing happens to many young player at countless clubs. There is never any guarantees with young players, no matter how much of a natural gift they have.

It’s about the mental side of the game too and also how driven young players are. We just have to look at the Moore Brothers. Talent alone doesn’t cut it.

2 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

Dear God!!!  671 pages to try to prove that 2 + 2 =  20  million.

There must be people who literally live in this thread.

After drifting from 1/3 to 4/6, we are now back out to 1/3 for Watkins.  Health warning attached.

Sky bet is driven by what people are betting on. Not by what is actually going on. It would be strange is Sky bet know more than the journalists. Probably due to that fake ITK on twitter saying we'd had a bid accepted last night.