Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 hours ago, Enda said:

“England quality” means in or around the English squad, so I’ve always taken “world class” to mean in or around the hypothetical best team in the world.

Aston Villa?

• Like 2

The reports in Denmark claim that we've had long standing interest in Nelsson dating back to before Lange was at the club, although they also say we're favorites to sign him because of Lange. Copenhagen only signed him last year from FC Nordsjælland, but apparently Covid is affecting their finances, so €10m would be too good to turn down despite him being seen as a very important player for them.

• Like 1

Anybody think Engels will move on? No idea if we’ll find a buyer while he’s injured. Maybe that’s what Deano meant by were looking for one and then see if we can move a couple out (ie replace them). So one addition to squad and then two more if we can make space by selling two players. 

50 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

So only 11 players at one time can be world class? 

i don't think there's an actual definition of world class, it's just a moniker for players who are clearly head and shoulders above most others and would not look out of place in any of the big teams or nations starting XIs. 

Yes, obviously there will still be debate, but arguably anyone sensibly in the debate to be considered for the world's best starting 11 can be classed as WC 

Inevitably you'll have 3/4 for each position barring Ronaldo and messi

• Like 1

I think there’s an element, at this stage of the transfer window, that we need to try to move some players on. Partly it helps with wages but also you can only keep so many players happy and of course 25, (I think), is the maximum senior squad size. I’m not 100% sure how the U23/development players fit in with the numbers.

It’s probably a bit of a juggling act of not selling before we’ve got replacements in but at the same time not missing an opportunity to move a player we would like to, if the buying club is in a rush to get things done. Especially as the window and season overlap this year. We will of course be in a similar situation in reverse with players we want to bring in. 

Tricky ain’t it? 

• Like 2

World class for me would be someone who has stood out at the very highest level and on more than one occasion. For example someone who's had a great world cup, preferrably got to the very latest stages and then the following year done a similar thing for their club in the Champions League. Also someone who's played for the top English/Spanish/Italian/German team over several years of them being at the very top and the player in question being one of the key reasons for their success. A player can of course be world class for a period of their career and then less so at the start or end. Players in the PL i can think of at the moment; Aguero, Silva (or perhaps until the last year or two), De Bruyne, Alexander-Arnold, Van Diyk, Salah, Alisson. You'd also include Kane for me, a bit less successful club level than those but did well in the WC and Champs League and his overall goalscoring record is phenominal.

Barcelona had many in that team from 10 years ago, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Alves for sure and a few others that could be argued for as well.

I think Drogba was world class for a period. England class is different though because it depends how good the England team is at the time. There are a lot of England players over the last 10 years or more that would have got no where near the England team in 1990.

Edited by ChinlessWonder

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Take your Baresi and raise you with Ayala. 

I have a slight adoration for short CBs. Baresi is a favo. But Ayala was pretty decent too. Guess Cannavaro was a midget as well. 

A mate of mine has a theory that shorter players learn to compensate by having a better ability to jump. Conversely tall players don’t develop this ability as much as they should because they don’t need to as much. 

Alan Wright always amazed me how many headers he got to and yet others, I can’t think of a good example but there are plenty, who were 6’+ who would barely get off the ground and lose most of the height advantage they had. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A mate of mine has a theory that shorter players learn to compensate by having a better ability to jump. Conversely tall players don’t develop this ability as much as they should because they don’t need to as much. 

Alan Wright always amazed me how many headers he got to and yet others, I can’t think of a good example but there are plenty, who were 6’+ who would barely get off the ground and lose most of the height advantage they had. 

From my personal experience, it was more about timing. I was always a head shorter (and I always felt I played against bloody giants), but was pretty alright at it winning those challenges. 

If you got timing, bollocks to get hurt and a general sense of positioning, you can do surprisingly well. Not saying jumping skills doesn't help cause it's obviously a help. Alan Wright yeah. Easily in my favourite 11. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1