Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

On Egyptians, I'm actually backing Trez to be much improved next season.

Hopefully does alot of work on his close ball control.

Let's get him and Anwar on that Christiano Ronaldo fitness and muscle building regime as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's get him and Anwar on that Christiano Ronaldo fitness and muscle building regime as well.

AEG is plenty big enough, but he needs to start taking iron supplements for his spine. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Do you need to cross your fingers?

Every window people complain about how long things take. Every single one!

You'd have thought we'd all have learnt by now that million pound deals where the players get to choose where they go and other teams get to choose how much they're worth take a lot of time to align.

I don’t suppose the current pandemic situation is exactly helping either. We’re not only dealing with football “assets”, we’re dealing with humans and their families. 

These things can’t and shouldn’t be rushed. I’m sure the club know the benefits of getting new players through the door as quickly as possible. However looking at the bigger picture, it surely is better to get the right player a little later in the window than to get the wrong player now. We’re not picking up the weekly shopping at the supermarket. 

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Makes a lot of sense to get things done as quickly as possible tbf - we need a far more settled team to start the next season than we did the last.

Tbf that just won't happen this season. With such a short turnaround and such complicated deals to be done there's no way any team will be more settled than last year. The teams that had something to play for like ourselves regarding relegation and even the likes of man Utd with champions league won't have been able to plan as effectively not knowing what calibre of players to go for either. 

The teams currently playing in the champions league aren't going to be making big purchases or sales until its over, and that filters down. If man city want Jack, for example, nothing will happen until they're out of the champions league and that in turn will effect our transfer dealings. 

It was pretty much a given as soon as they restarted rather than voided that the next season would be affected as well in more ways than just not having supporters 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t suppose the current pandemic situation is exactly helping either. We’re not only dealing with football “assets”, we’re dealing with humans and their families. 

These things can’t and shouldn’t be rushed. I’m sure the club know the benefits of getting new players through the door as quickly as possible. However looking at the bigger picture, it surely is better to get the right player a little later in the window than to get the wrong player now. We’re not picking up the weekly shopping at the supermarket. 

On the flip side, there’s no guarantee that we’ll get the ‘right’ player if we wait, because we could still be bidding against other teams.

FWIW, I think transfers will start to happen more next week, when most players will return to training.

28 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Makes a lot of sense to get things done as quickly as possible tbf - we need a far more settled team to start the next season than we did the last.

We have that now without actually signing anyone though. The team that finished the season was infinitely more settled than the one that started it. Mings/Konsa/Guilbert/Targett/Luiz/Trezeguet all much better players than this time last year and know what they're doing in the team now.

If we have to wait until after the season starts to get real quality additions I'd prefer to do that than settle for inferior quality players beforehand.

• Like 2

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Surely with our Egyptian owner and players we must be in for "the next Mo Salah"? :D 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5907561/rangers-transfer-news-saber-offer/

Right back or right wing. Sounds more like the next Elmo

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, weedman said:

Tbf that just won't happen this season. With such a short turnaround and such complicated deals to be done there's no way any team will be more settled than last year. The teams that had something to play for like ourselves regarding relegation and even the likes of man Utd with champions league won't have been able to plan as effectively not knowing what calibre of players to go for either. 

The teams currently playing in the champions league aren't going to be making big purchases or sales until its over, and that filters down. If man city want Jack, for example, nothing will happen until they're out of the champions league and that in turn will effect our transfer dealings. 

It was pretty much a given as soon as they restarted rather than voided that the next season would be affected as well in more ways than just not having supporters 

I think next season is only affected as much as you let it affect you. The potential Grealish sale shouldn’t stop us strengthening the other areas we need to.

If we say that our first priority this window is to get a new front 3, but then secondary to that we might want a centre mid, centre back and fullback options, then we should use 80-90% of our current budget to get a new front 3, then the less important transfers can be left until a little later, where we’ll have more indication of whether Grealish is staying or going. Then if he goes, we’d use the remaining budget plus the Jack money to replace Jack and bring in the ‘secondary’ positions. If Jack stays, then we’d just be shopping with our original budget anyway.

I get the whole ‘trickle down’ effect, but we’re not exactly going to wait until a Grealish deal is done (or contract extended) before we start making moves.

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

We have that now without actually signing anyone though. The team that finished the season was infinitely more settled than the one that started it. Mings/Konsa/Guilbert/Targett/Luiz/Trezeguet all much better players than this time last year and know what they're doing in the team now.

If we have to wait until after the season starts to get real quality additions I'd prefer to do that than settle for inferior quality players beforehand.

The team that finished the season was more settled, but still included a number of players that are ideally only good enough to be back-up/rotation options.

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On Egyptians, I'm actually backing Trez to be much improved next season.

Hopefully does alot of work on his close ball control.

jonny lee miller drugs GIF

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The team that finished the season was more settled, but still included a number of players that are ideally only good enough to be back-up/rotation options.

Agreed - but I think that's all the more reason to not compromise on going after the best we can possibly get, and the reality is we'll have to be patient to get them.

Anyone for Oussama Idrissi? Plays in the eredivisie scored 21 goals in 41 appearances this season including 2 goals and an assist in 8 appearances in the europa league. He was the 4th best player in the eredives this season according to whoscored behind ziyech, tadic and berghuis. Averaged 42 passes a game so you know he was involved in the build up play. Seems like he would be available from 15-20 million. 

19 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I think next season is only affected as much as you let it affect you. The potential Grealish sale shouldn’t stop us strengthening the other areas we need to.

If we say that our first priority this window is to get a new front 3, but then secondary to that we might want a centre mid, centre back and fullback options, then we should use 80-90% of our current budget to get a new front 3, then the less important transfers can be left until a little later, where we’ll have more indication of whether Grealish is staying or going. Then if he goes, we’d use the remaining budget plus the Jack money to replace Jack and bring in the ‘secondary’ positions. If Jack stays, then we’d just be shopping with our original budget anyway.

I get the whole ‘trickle down’ effect, but we’re not exactly going to wait until a Grealish deal is done (or contract extended) before we start making moves.

I agree with what you're saying, but transfers never happen in order of priority and it's likely that our main priorities are the hardest to get over the line.  So we will probably see less 'urgent' signings happening first (cue meltdown of the 'wHeRe's oUr ceNtrE fOrwArd!!11!' variety).  Getting Grealish to sign a monster new contract would be the best early bit of business we could do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

On the flip side, there’s no guarantee that we’ll get the ‘right’ player if we wait, because we could still be bidding against other teams.

FWIW, I think transfers will start to happen more next week, when most players will return to training.

I’m sure we will always be bidding against other teams. The agents don’t let anything slip under the radar unnoticed these days.

I agree nothing is guaranteed no matter when the signings take place. The hope is that our super techno data analysts reduce the risk of buying rubbish and increase the chances of buying good quality.

There are always lots of ducks to line up before a transfer happens. Some can get sorted quickly others not so quick. I recently went shopping with my six year old daughter for a toy car with a caravan. The choice was between 2 different sets and by the time we got out of the shop, I feared my own car would have run out of tax! I now have renewed sympathy for our recruitment team. 🙂

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I hope your right as I think that's what we should be doing rather than buying all these media suggested signings. I'd like to think we are going after some decent class signings who wont let you breath, take a second of breath, down your throat till the ball back in our possession, some real fast frantic ball getters is what we need. Also some truly pacey Wingers that live, feel the cross who know when to send it and when to drive in from the flank and make a good bit of mess for the opposition defence.

I feel those type of players we wont be getting at champ clubs, nor players from the top clubs in this league who are trying to sell last seasons players because they to are hunting for those abroad at the top clubs in europe. The next big signing, the next big name is what the like of Man utd, Chelsea, City and Liverpool are looking for, we to can go there and find them ourselves, we just have to be smart about it, one will come soon enough I'm sure of it.

Can only hope.

confused mark wahlberg GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I think it’s reasonable to have a minor concern. Some people are just conscious of us having a repeat of last summer, not getting some players in until a couple of days before the season started.

We’re probably one of 4-5 teams that still need significant improvements in our first eleven. 

I feel like there are a lot of auctions going on, with 10+ clubs all interested in the same handful of 6-7 forwards that keep being mentioned. If that’s the case, then I just wonder whether it’d be worth going in with a big offer in an attempt to get some deals done early (like Man City have with Ake).

I don't think the concern is justified personally, I think concern is very premature.

I get that we need to improve the squad as I'm sure do those running the club and I'm certain that they are working to that ends just like every other club, hardly any deal have actually happened.

On your last point re Ake, that isn't what happened. There was a buy out clause at £40m and City triggered it, they just did it properly rather than trying the £1 more approach that Arsenal tried with Liverpool for Suarez.