Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Makes a lot of sense to get things done as quickly as possible tbf - we need a far more settled team to start the next season than we did the last.

They are big boys, I'm sure they will settle in within time.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On Egyptians, I'm actually backing Trez to be much improved next season.

Hopefully does alot of work on his close ball control.

Let's get him and Anwar on that Christiano Ronaldo fitness and muscle building regime as well.

I think Trez is what he is. Very much like Andi Weimann.

He works hard and is a good finisher, but lack in ability. He is the best out of a bad bunch.

But i think you are being overly optimistic if you are expecting him to suddenly be able dribble past players and whipping in good crosses.

• Like 1

I think we, like everyone else, has a budget.

Right now I think everyone is trying to test the market. Is a player valued at £20m in a normal market still valued at £20m? Or is it less? 

As it's still early I think selling clubs are still holding out for £20m for their players. But what will they do in September, if no bids matching that value has been received? 

It usually start at the very top. If Man U buy Grealish for £80m, then our willingness to pay a little more his replacement increases. Their willingness/abilty to increase from, let's say £60m to £80m migh depend on the Sancho deal. If they spend too much on him, they can't afford it. If they don't get him, they move on to their next target. And so on. Will we buy Benrahma for £25m now? Maybe not. Will we do it, if we've got £80m more in our pocket and the season is about to start? Much more likely.

So things will start to happen once UCL and UEL finish. 

Edited by Silent_Bob
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I think we, like everyone else, has a budget.

Right now I think everyone is trying to test the market. Is a player valued at £20m in a normal market still valued at £20m? Or is it less? 

As it's still early I think selling clubs are still holding out for £20m for their players. But what will they do in September, if no bids matching that value has been received? 

It usually start at the very top. If Man U buy Grealish for £80m, then our willingness to pay a little more his replacement increases. Their willingness/abilty to increase from, let's say £60m to £80m migh depend on the Sancho deal. If they spend too much on him, they can't afford it. If they don't get him, they move on to their next target. And so on. Will we buy Benrahma for £25m now? Maybe not. Will we do it, if we've got £80m more in our pocket and the season is about to start? Much more likely.

So things will start to happen once UCL and UEL finish. 

Youalso have to add in the unknown effects of the virus here.  No one wants to pay asking prices till we see whats happening with the market in general.

This will roll on for a while yet, until the more desperate teams just fold. 

Depending on which side folds could have further knock ons!

36 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I reckon we will see one incoming player this week. Pre-season starts next week 

Cool, I hadn’t seen that, good stuff. How are the players all going to quarantine for 14 days if most of them are still in Portugal/Spain/Greece? 

interesting thought, will footballers bypass the 2 week quarantine rules on the basis that they're going to be getting regular tests? i.e. we buy a player from spain the day before start of season is he going to miss the first 2 weeks as he's quarantining ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

On your last point re Ake, that isn't what happened. There was a buy out clause at £40m and City triggered it, they just did it properly rather than trying the £1 more approach that Arsenal tried with Liverpool for Suarez.

Nothing to do with doing anything properly. A release clause is a set figure and Suarez did not have one.

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

interesting thought, will footballers bypass the 2 week quarantine rules on the basis that they're going to be getting regular tests? i.e. we buy a player from spain the day before start of season is he going to miss the first 2 weeks as he's quarantining ?

Just pay the paltry fine, if anyone actually checks the quarantine. Which they don't.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I think next season is only affected as much as you let it affect you. The potential Grealish sale shouldn’t stop us strengthening the other areas we need to.

If we say that our first priority this window is to get a new front 3, but then secondary to that we might want a centre mid, centre back and fullback options, then we should use 80-90% of our current budget to get a new front 3, then the less important transfers can be left until a little later, where we’ll have more indication of whether Grealish is staying or going. Then if he goes, we’d use the remaining budget plus the Jack money to replace Jack and bring in the ‘secondary’ positions. If Jack stays, then we’d just be shopping with our original budget anyway.

I get the whole ‘trickle down’ effect, but we’re not exactly going to wait until a Grealish deal is done (or contract extended) before we start making moves.

Its easy to say that, but transfers always fall like dominoes, look at Benrahma as an example, wanted by a few teams (us, Chelsea and Leeds I've seen).

Now his 1st choice is probably Chelsea, but he's probably not their first choice, so he will wait while they do their business for a bit to see what happens, while us and Leeds wait (to a certain extent) as well, if Chelsea sign their 1st choice, then we'd be next in that line but if we've already gone out and signed someone else as we're "not letting ourselves be affected", then a good player that we wanted will go to a rival. By that time in the window it may even be for a bargain price to boot

So as much as we would want to do our business early, there are so many variables that it's very unlikely that will happen unless we are picking up the likes of Nakamba and Trezeguet who will immediately jump at the chance of PL football 

We have a relatively settled squad this year compared to last year, so there's no rush. If we sign a few players late in the window they can take a few weeks of training and not playing to get up to speed while our original players start the season, we didn't have that luxury last year and everyone was thrown in at the deep end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I reckon we will see one incoming player this week. Pre-season starts next week 

I dont think we will sign anyone in the next two weeks. These things take time to get sorted. 

I would normally have suspected the club to already have a list of players they were keen on, pending survival, and we would just go for them as fast as their vacations where done. BUT I wonder how much having a new chief of recruitment will affect those plans. Will they be scrapped? Or is the role of a chief scout more in terms of the future than what happens this summer? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I would normally have suspected the club to already have a list of players they were keen on, pending survival, and we would just go for them as fast as their vacations where done. BUT I wonder how much having a new chief of recruitment will affect those plans. Will they be scrapped? Or is the role of a chief scout more in terms of the future than what happens this summer? 

I would imagine that the new recruitment team would at least want to integrity check any possible signings to clarify that they fit their new strategy and are of the quality they are looking for. At this stage it is a bit late to be starting from scratch, as it takes months off research to identify suitable targets. The caveat is that the new team may have been doing some work behind the scenes prior to their official appointment.

• Like 1