Villan4Life

50 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Depends on the circumstances. Trippier got his mates betting on his own transfer, that he obviously had control over. If Toney was betting on himself to score, knowing that he was in the lineup for example, then I don’t think it’s as bad because still no guarantees his bets would pay out. If it was something like that it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a big fine and a shortish ban.

I wonder how long it will take for a decision. Will it be something that impacts Brentford this season or drags on for months whilst he carries on playing.

Barton got 18 months ban but was reduced but seems the rules are stricter now

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Depends on the circumstances. Trippier got his mates betting on his own transfer, that he obviously had control over. If Toney was betting on himself to score, knowing that he was in the lineup for example, then I don’t think it’s as bad because still no guarantees his bets would pay out. If it was something like that it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a big fine and a shortish ban.

I wonder how long it will take for a decision. Will it be something that impacts Brentford this season or drags on for months whilst he carries on playing.

If he had inside information that a teammate was back fit etc then it's just add bad as anything.

There's basically zero tolerance for anything, footballers shouldn't have a betting account, they shouldn't even talk about gambling with friends.

15 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

You can bet on anything though, yellow cards, free-kicks, throw-ins, corners.  Could definitely take advantage of those markets.

He has been charged so has not been found guilty Yet.Seems strange that this has been going on for 17 months not the 7 being stated in the press so can’t be as straight forward as it appears.This could.take many many months to reach a conclusion so those posting that it will impact Brentford’s season are way off.If he is found guilty of fraudulent betting ie being involved in the bet he could and should be looking at a massive fine and ban.How much more money do these highly paid players need.

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm sure that Hollywood Bets sponsored Brentford must be appalled by this.

Interesting point.

It’s okay for players to actively promote and essentially act as a beacon to others to promote gambling but they cannot partake in it themselves.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Interesting point.

It’s okay for players to actively promote and essentially act as a beacon to others to promote gambling but they cannot partake in it themselves.

I can understand it if its things they can directly influence, he shouldn't be allowed to gamble on Brentford games or himself for example

I'm sure le tissier said in his book there was gambling around first throw in and from the kick off he booted it out on purpose, that's obviously out of order, sturridge and I'm sure a few others telling their mates they were moving club is out of order

Sticking a tenner down on a five team accumulator isn't really that bad IMO but I've not read the detail as to what he was doing

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I can understand it if its things they can directly influence, he shouldn't be allowed to gamble on Brentford games or himself for example

I'm sure le tissier said in his book there was gambling around first throw in and from the kick off he booted it out on purpose, that's obviously out of order, sturridge and I'm sure a few others telling their mates they were moving club is out of order

Sticking a tenner down on a five team accumulator isn't really that bad IMO but I've not read the detail as to what he was doing

I am surprised nothing more was made about our ex "manager" apparently telling people in the pub he would be the next manager sacked and to bet on him

He was too

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I suspect that in practical terms it's a hard line to define and they possibly think permitted betting might then lead to breaking the rules.

With the way you can bet on anything nowadays they'd potentially run the risk of making a list of non-allowed bets and then something new cropping up and having a grey space until it was banned. 

They probably feel it's easier to go with a zero tolerance approach as that's easier to manage. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The_Steve said:

There’s a very suspicious handball he did playing for Peterborough in 2019 and got himself sent off. Some are claiming it’s connected. 

I mean theres a goal bound effort that he prevents with his hand on the line. It happens pretty regularly. 

It would be some planning to be able to bet on yourself or inform others that you're going to be sent off for handball.

If the betting patterns show that he or people connected to him gambled on it then fine, it's just a pretty tough thing to preempt given the nature of it.

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I mean theres a goal bound effort that he prevents with his hand on the line. It happens pretty regularly. 

It would be some planning to be able to bet on yourself or inform others that you're going to be sent off for handball.

If the betting patterns show that he or people connected to him gambled on it then fine, it's just a pretty tough thing to preempt given the nature of it.

I just saw it but it is a strange handball as it doesnt seem a reactionary stop and he has time to flick it away

Not saying it is part of his gambling conspiracy but it does look dodgy

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I just saw it but it is a strange handball as it doesnt seem a reactionary stop and he has time to flick it away

Not saying it is part of his gambling conspiracy but it does look dodgy

People are making similar claims about his second yellow card against Luton in the 96th minute where he booted it out of the ground for no reason.

He's proven time and time again however that he's not the brightest so the two incidents may just be his general stupidity.

8 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I suspect that in practical terms it's a hard line to define and they possibly think permitted betting might then lead to breaking the rules.

With the way you can bet on anything nowadays they'd potentially run the risk of making a list of non-allowed bets and then something new cropping up and having a grey space until it was banned. 

They probably feel it's easier to go with a zero tolerance approach as that's easier to manage. 

Well it's exactly this isn't it. It probably wouldn't *matter* particularly if an English footballer was gambling on, I dunno, Shimizu S-Pulse vs Nagoya Grampus Eight, but how could the FA know what they're betting on? There's no plausible method of keeping track of bets, or of ensuring that the player doesn't somehow know someone in whatever random game, or hasn't been approached by a betting syndicate who have offered a quid pro quo ('kick the ball out for a throw in at this time and we'll tell you the winner of this game we've rigged in China' etc). The only possible regulatory method that can work is a complete ban and zero tolerance.

And all footballers know about it as well, ignorance is not an excuse here. 

• Like 2

Â