Villan4Life

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Unfortunately it wont. Trippier got a ban and look at him. Hopefully they throw book at him to show this behaviour is completely unacceptable.

Personally i think they should get very heavy fines and unpaid 2 year bans from football. Harsh sentences like this will cut out this sleaze in football

Trippier leaked his own transfer over WhatsApp. If proven that Toney betted on his own team the consequences are far larger. 

35 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Trippier leaked his own transfer over WhatsApp. If proven that Toney betted on his own team the consequences are far larger. 

Surely it depends on the bet? Betting on yourself to win is one thing but betting against your teammates and being one of them phoning it in is another.

• 1 month later...

Very impressive at the moment. Bloodthirsty and smart. Unbeaten in 9 games.

Mee seems to have been an excellent addition and their play at the back is generally superb.

They're basically my local team (and I'm half-tempted to go a game one day), so I'd be more pleased for them if it weren't at our expense.

Edited by His Name Is Death

32 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

We won’t miss him whatever happens 

How you work that when our when he is your main source of goals? Even if he didnt score today he is still your main attacking threat

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How you work that when our when he is your main source of goals? Even if he didnt score today he is still your main attacking threat

Haven't you noticed we seem to have a conveyor belt of them waiting to make their mark ? Wissa and Schade being the next in line 

hopefully 

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Haven't you noticed we seem to have a conveyor belt of them waiting to make their mark ? Wissa and Schade being the next in line 

hopefully 

I think you will away from home, he holds it up much better than the other options. At home you've got a nice rhythm going so won't be such a big miss where you'll get more set pieces.

• Like 1

Their second season in the PL. Not a hint of relegation trouble.

This is Brighton's sixth year up and look at them.

Brentford will play in Europe before too long, and won't go down ever again.

Clubs like this that are just better run than everyone else will bring about the super league before Villa throwing millions at it will.

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Their second season in the PL. Not a hint of relegation trouble.

This is Brighton's sixth year up and look at them.

Brentford will play in Europe before too long, and won't go down ever again.

Clubs like this that are just better run than everyone else will bring about the super league before Villa throwing millions at it will.

Very flattering but don’t think a club our size can sustain many years in the PL let alone Europe. 

12 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Very flattering but don’t think a club our size can sustain many years in the PL let alone Europe. 

You buy great players for well below market value with obscene consistency.

That is very sustainable.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Is it sustainable though? My feelings about Brentford and Brighton are the same: they've proven me wrong so far, their data-driven acquisitions have been great, but for both my concern would be that the strategy (of necessity) involves continuing to roll 6's nearly every time (and in Brighton's case especially, it does seem like the best players can't wait to get out of there). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is it sustainable though? My feelings about Brentford and Brighton are the same: they've proven me wrong so far, their data-driven acquisitions have been great, but for both my concern would be that the strategy (of necessity) involves continuing to roll 6's nearly every time (and in Brighton's case especially, it does seem like the best players can't wait to get out of there). 

With respect to them, they've already succeeded IMO.

Brentford especially are tiny compared to the likes of Utd and Liverpool. Teams they and Brighton have thumped this season.

Brighton finishing consistently top 10 in the cash-rich modern Premier League is mental bearing in mind where they were 10 years ago. They'll be turning a farcically big profit.

Very confident Brentford will continue to buy better players than everyone else and be up with Brighton in the top 10 after six years in the PL.

Signing the right players for right prices is something so many clubs still can't do. The misses aren't huge busts, and the successes are sensations.

Yes, the ultimate goal is winning trophies (I could see that as well at some point), but with money as it is, merely being a PL side is only a true "failure" for the state-owned sides who don't need money.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

They're extremely well run in terms of transfers and squeezing the most out of their squad, but the limitation on clubs like Brentford is the size of the stadium, the size of the fanbase, the strength of the brand, etc.

Clubs like Madrid and Utd can keep buying world class players and competing at the highest level, even when it's a shambles behind the scenes.

Can they stay in the PL for the foreseeable future? Definitely. Can they become mainstays of European football? Unlikely.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Even comparing Brighton with Brentford is off the mark as they have nearly double the size of ground and fill it every home game.No surprise in both clubs set up as Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham both worked together for many years have a similar business.Recruitment has become more difficult as for example we tried to sign Mudryk in the summer and we were around 20 million when the deal was culled when we couldn’t agree add ons then fast forward 5 months he signs for Chelsea for 80 mill madness.Sustainable? I doubt it but think when we eventually go back to the championship our set up will give us a great chance of coming straight back up.Our unbeaten run since you whacked us has been achieved with the majority of the side from our championship squad which in these mad days of over priced over rated PL players is a great reflection on the great job Thomas Frank and his coaching staff have done and to think he could have replaced Gerrard.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

With respect to them, they've already succeeded IMO.

Brentford especially are tiny compared to the likes of Utd and Liverpool. Teams they and Brighton have thumped this season.

Brighton finishing consistently top 10 in the cash-rich modern Premier League is mental bearing in mind where they were 10 years ago. They'll be turning a farcically big profit.

Very confident Brentford will continue to buy better players than everyone else and be up with Brighton in the top 10 after six years in the PL.

Signing the right players for right prices is something so many clubs still can't do. The misses aren't huge busts, and the successes are sensations.

Yes, the ultimate goal is winning trophies (I could see that as well at some point), but with money as it is, merely being a PL side is only a true "failure" for the state-owned sides who don't need money.

Both clubs are extremely well run and I have a lot of respect for both of them particularly Brighton whose scouting is out of this world. 

But you're overrating them. You say Brentford have such good players but they seem a team greater than the sum of their parts to me, how many of their players would definitely get in Villa's team? The only one I can think of is Toney and even then a lot of Brentford fans rate Watkins over him. They have a good goalkeeper but he's not better than Martinez. In defence or midfield no one stands out that would improve us.

Brighton do have more players that would improve us - Caicedo, MaCallister, Mitoma, Estupinan possibly. But Caicedo will be off in summer and no doubt Mitoma and MaCallister will follow, they seem to be a selling club. You can't keep selling your best players even if it is for a lot of money and expect to finish above the elite every season.

Our biggest threats for top 7 in the longer term I believe are still the likes of Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, and obviously Newcastle. Brighton are challenging this season and may again next season but I don't think they spend the sort of money to keep that going even if their scouting is excellent. Brentford will stay around midtable but to say they are never going down again is ridiculous. I may be wrong of course but I don't think I will be.

13 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Both clubs are extremely well run and I have a lot of respect for both of them particularly Brighton whose scouting is out of this world. 

But you're overrating them. You say Brentford have such good players but they seem a team greater than the sum of their parts to me, how many of their players would definitely get in Villa's team? The only one I can think of is Toney and even then a lot of Brentford fans rate Watkins over him. They have a good goalkeeper but he's not better than Martinez. In defence or midfield no one stands out that would improve us.

Brighton do have more players that would improve us - Caicedo, MaCallister, Mitoma, Estupinan possibly. But Caicedo will be off in summer and no doubt Mitoma and MaCallister will follow, they seem to be a selling club. You can't keep selling your best players even if it is for a lot of money and expect to finish above the elite every season.

Our biggest threats for top 7 in the longer term I believe are still the likes of Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, and obviously Newcastle. Brighton are challenging this season and may again next season but I don't think they spend the sort of money to keep that going even if their scouting is excellent. Brentford will stay around midtable but to say they are never going down again is ridiculous. I may be wrong of course but I don't think I will be.

I would say Henry Norguaard and Pinnock would improve Villa but then I’m biased 

17 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I would say Henry Norguaard and Pinnock would improve Villa but then I’m biased 

I think every fan of their team will be. I wasn't being disrespectful either as I like Brentford a lot and I think you have one of the best mangers outside the elite teams, I was merely softening some of the hyperbole from @Tomaszk

Some of your Danish players are decent including Norgaard but I think that is one of our strongest areas with Kamara and Luiz so don't think he'd get in our first 11. Henry is a good shout given our issues at LB so fair point there, I haven't seen enough of him though. I don't think Pinnock would get in if Diego Carlos comes back to fitness the same player he was at Sevilla, but right now that may be a fair shout as CB isn't very strong for us. I have a Brentford mate and he says he never rated Konsa when he was at Brentford and other than one season he hasn't really impressed here either. Mings can either be brilliant or terrible, doesn't seem to be an in between with him.

Toney would get in but then we'd have to adapt our style to accommodate him, Watkins probably fits our current style much better even if he does miss a lot of chances. 

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I think every fan of their team will be. I wasn't being disrespectful either as I like Brentford a lot and I think you have one of the best mangers outside the elite teams, I was merely softening some of the hyperbole from @Tomaszk

Some of your Danish players are decent including Norgaard but I think that is one of our strongest areas with Kamara and Luiz so don't think he'd get in our first 11. Henry is a good shout given our issues at LB so fair point there, I haven't seen enough of him though. I don't think Pinnock would get in if Diego Carlos comes back to fitness the same player he was at Sevilla, but right now that may be a fair shout as CB isn't very strong for us. I have a Brentford mate and he says he never rated Konsa when he was at Brentford and other than one season he hasn't really impressed here either. Mings can either be brilliant or terrible, doesn't seem to be an in between with him.

Toney would get in but then we'd have to adapt our style to accommodate him, Watkins probably fits our current style much better even if he does miss a lot of chances. 

I heard from a very reliable source that Villa approached Brentford regarding Thomas Frank after Gerrard left.Not long after Frank signed an extended improved contract.Brentford as with Dean wouldn’t have stopped him going but he has excellent support staff and it would have been a big gamble (apart from the money) for both parties.I’m not saying he was offered the job though and haven’t seen anything on this site suggesting he was in the frame.

Â