Villan4Life

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is it sustainable though? My feelings about Brentford and Brighton are the same: they've proven me wrong so far, their data-driven acquisitions have been great, but for both my concern would be that the strategy (of necessity) involves continuing to roll 6's nearly every time (and in Brighton's case especially, it does seem like the best players can't wait to get out of there). 

Brighton have been in premier league for 2017 and don't see any reason why they can't be up for at least another five seasons.

Stoke were up for a decade between 2008-18 and that was with a far more primitive style but it worked effectively for them until they made endless mistakes in transfer and managerial market.

Before that you had Bolton doing similar.

Think Brighton problem will be ever if they get into europe and deviate from the signings they currently make as Stoke wildly overspent on guys like Berahino, Imbula, Kevin Wimmer etc and that lead to their demise.

Brentford's a little different as they're much smaller as their fan says above. Need to keep Thomas Frank as long as possible as think he'd be very difficult to replace. As much as it pains me to say it they'd be much more likely to get relegated if they had someone like DS back in charge.

If people are demanding to be sustainable at prem level you have to attempt to do a Leicester that's pretty much impossible so makes sense to build, bide your time and be ready when established top 6 teams like Liverpool and Chelsea just collapse for 12 months which Brighton are exploiting expertly now.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I heard from a very reliable source that Villa approached Brentford regarding Thomas Frank after Gerrard left.Not long after Frank signed an extended improved contract.Brentford as with Dean wouldn’t have stopped him going but he has excellent support staff and it would have been a big gamble (apart from the money) for both parties.I’m not saying he was offered the job though and haven’t seen anything on this site suggesting he was in the frame.

I think he was definitely in the frame, I remember they even asked him about it just before we played you earlier this season just before he signed that new deal. Don't think we interviewed him though.

I think we got the best manager we could have got in Emery but I could see why Frank would have interested us if he was prepared to leave Brentford. Will most likely be nominated for Manager of the Season again this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I think he was definitely in the frame, I remember they even asked him about it just before we played you earlier this season just before he signed that new deal. Don't think we interviewed him though.

I think we got the best manager we could have got in Emery but I could see why Frank would have interested us if he was prepared to leave Brentford. Will most likely be nominated for Manager of the Season again this year.

Think you have an excellent manager like us 

• Like 1

Frank's done an incredible job but not sure he would've been the right fit here, just because I feel like we can be quite quick to get impatient with managers (sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly) and Frank doesn't have anywhere near the kind of pedigree that Emery has, so probably would've been afforded less time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Innocent until proven otherwise i guess. 

They charged him, if the investigation or evidence isnt there they cant really charge him. No idea why its taking this long.

Banning him for 12 months at end if season just seems odd if they already charged him

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They charged him, if the investigation or evidence isnt there they cant really charge him. No idea why its taking this long.

Banning him for 12 months at end if season just seems odd if they already charged him

Hes got a right to respond though and the investigation hasnt been completed but yes i agree its weird hes still allowed to play

Genuine question here. Given the (mostly) negative feedback on bookies shirt sponsorship and the questionable place of gambling in sport, could we give Toney a break if he's a gambling victim/addict?

Just like substance abuse and mental health issues, are footballers just as likely to be affected as the rest of us? As far as I know there's no question of match fixing, just looks like he loves a bet.

14 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Genuine question here. Given the (mostly) negative feedback on bookies shirt sponsorship and the questionable place of gambling in sport, could we give Toney a break if he's a gambling victim/addict?

Just like substance abuse and mental health issues, are footballers just as likely to be affected as the rest of us? As far as I know there's no question of match fixing, just looks like he loves a bet.

Joey Barton got a long ban for gambling. Trippier got one for telling his mates he was moving to Madrid

He is definitely getting banned here

36 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Toney also did the Zulu sign to the Villa crowd a while back, then went on record in an interview saying how much he loved doing one over on us because his agent is an SHA fan.

I really dont think it would go well for him here, and tbh, he's clearly thick as two short planks to promote a group of thugs in a goal celebration (Zulu's), add that to his "alleged" illegal betting, he's not exactly high on the IQ scale i dont think.

He is a good player, but i just dont see it.

Edited by MaVilla

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Joey Barton got a long ban for gambling. Trippier got one for telling his mates he was moving to Madrid

He is definitely getting banned here

I could've worded my question better. What I'm getting at, is if gambling is seen as an addiction which can be triggered by mental issues, should the reaction be more along the lines of rehabilitation rather than punishment? I'm lucky not to have been affected by it, but when you hear stories from the likes of Merson, it makes you think.

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Toney also did the Zulu sign to the Villa crowd a while back, then went on record in an interview saying how much he loved doing one over on us because his agent is an SHA fan.

I really dont think it would go well for him here, and tbh, he's clearly thick as two short planks to promote a group of thugs in a goal celebration (Zulu's), add that to his "alleged" illegal betting, he's not exactly high on the IQ scale i dont think.

He is a good player, but i just dont see it.

Wasn't suggesting we make a move for him, if that's how my question came across. 👍

1 hour ago, Pongo's Socks said:

I could've worded my question better. What I'm getting at, is if gambling is seen as an addiction which can be triggered by mental issues, should the reaction be more along the lines of rehabilitation rather than punishment? I'm lucky not to have been affected by it, but when you hear stories from the likes of Merson, it makes you think.

I understand what you mean but I dont think the FA/Premier League have any intention to help players in this type of situation

22 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

The same reason Manchester City haven’t been punished for charges relating to FFP over 6 plus years.

Of the 2 I wouldnt be surprised if Toney gets the more severe punishment 😲

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

The same reason Manchester City haven’t been punished for charges relating to FFP over 6 plus years.

I dont think thats accurate as the charges for city are more complicated than this but i get what you mean 😃

• Like 1

Â