Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id love to hear the reasoning behind djorkovic, ronaldo and all other sports stars who are unvaccinated 

Rather than he is a bellend, i want to know their logic for not having it

There is no logic. You're seeking something that doesn't exist. 

They'll give you some bullshit reason but there won't be any logic to it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is no logic. You're seeking something that doesn't exist. 

They'll give you some bullshit reason but there won't be any logic to it. 

Probably but im interested to hear why as you would expect sports stars would be the 1st to get it

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Probably but im interested to hear why as you would expect sports stars would be the 1st to get it

His reasons have been well documentated. Its not  down to being a total bellend, just his beliefs. I agree though that if if he really wanted to compete for his 21st slam at his favourite venue he should have got vaccinated and would have avoided all this.  But hes always played the anti-hero so if he is allowed to play he will use this to get postive energy and win the tournament. 

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

His reasons have been well documentated. Its not  down to being a total bellend, just his beliefs. I agree though that if if he really wanted to compete for his 21st slam at his favourite venue he should have got vaccinated and would have avoided all this.  But hes always played the anti-hero so if he is allowed to play he will use this to get postive energy and win the tournament. 

I didn't know he was a Jehovah's Witness. 

13 hours ago, sne said:

Will there be fans in the stands at the tournament or is it empty stadiums?

Feels like it will be almost impossible to keep the fans quiet if he was allowed to play. 

They've got fans at the Ashes cricket.  I think they have to be double-jabbed to get in.

There’s definitely politics in this. The Victoria guvmint gave him permission (possibly based on him providing unreliable evidence) and then the PM got involved when public opinion got angry about it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sne said:

I suppose the question would be whether the positive test was done on the 17th or whether the results were received on the 17th i.e. did he know he was positive? 

It takes a few days for results to come back and presumably it was a routine test we are talking about rather than a response to symptoms.

It’s quite possible he didn’t know he was positive during that ceremony. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

There’s definitely politics in this. The Victoria guvmint gave him permission (possibly based on him providing unreliable evidence) and then the PM got involved when public opinion got angry about it.

I thought he got his Visa from the ATF / Government Scheme but the VIctoria Government called BS on that when he landed. Only after the Victoria Gvt stopped him at the border did the PM intervene

I might be wrong but that was definitely the way a couple of news reports I heard on the radio played it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I suppose the question would be whether the positive test was done on the 17th or whether the results were received on the 17th i.e. did he know he was positive? 

It takes a few days for results to come back and presumably it was a routine test we are talking about rather than a response to symptoms.

It’s quite possible he didn’t know he was positive during that ceremony. 

I'm pretty sure his legal team who are obviously fabricating the whole situation would have the dates and "facts" in order to ensure the rules are met. 

Expect his clearance on Monday. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I thought he got his Visa from the ATF / Government Scheme but the VIctoria Government called BS on that when he landed. Only after the Victoria Gvt stopped him at the border did the PM intervene

I might be wrong but that was definitely the way a couple of news reports I heard on the radio played it.

The Victorian Government can’t issue a visa to enter the country, only the feds can. 

My understanding is that the Victorian Government and Tennis Australia cleared him to enter Victoria and to play in the tournament on the basis of having prior infection.

The Federal Government however claim that that is not sufficient reason to enter the country. 

However in order to board a plane to Australia he needed to be in possession of a visa, which apparently he was, the visa was then revoked when he landed in Australia and tried to clear passport control. 

It’s possible he obtained the visa on some sort of automated box ticking process, it’s just an electronic visa after all, and the process relies on the traveller understanding and meeting the requirements when they land and have their paperwork checked by customs staff. 

Or it’s possible he was checked and approved prior to being issued a visa but the feds changed their minds by the time he landed due to public pressure. 

I suspect it’s probably the first option and I suspect he probably genuinely thought his exemption would be sufficient based on getting a similar exemption from the state government, without fully understanding the different levels of Australian bureaucracy.

However the other factor is that another less high profile player was let in by the feds on this exemption and even played a warm up match before they were rounded up and put in detention as well so it’s very possible that the feds did allow exemptions but changed their minds due to public opinion. 

Hopefully the court case can clear things up.

Personally I’d love it if it if it was the second option and he’d done things by the book when he got issued his visa and made the Australian government look like mugs a couple of months out from the federal election but if he’s to blame and has tried to game the system then he can’t have any complaints with his treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Victorian tennis federation gave him permission to play but he was stopped at the border because he does not have the necessary documents/clearence to enter Australia.To make matters worse Tennis Australia gave him permission to play on the 29 Nov but did not bother to tell anyone about it,especially the border police.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

The Victorian tennis federation gave him permission to play but he was stopped at the border because he does not have the necessary documents/clearence to enter Australia.To make matters worse Tennis Australia gave him permission to play on the 29 Nov but did not bother to tell anyone about it,especially the border police.

Aren't they like 150 years out of date now? Not sure they should be ruling on a modern pandemic. 

21 minutes ago, a m ole said:

SEVENTH BBC News app push notification regarding Djokovic, what the **** is wrong with them?

I’m going to start sending you DMs about is as well just in case you managed to turn the push notifications off

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I’m going to start sending you DMs about is as well just in case you managed to turn the push notifications off

Actually if you could DM me when something actually important or significant happens in the world that would be really helpful and I can delete the app. I have them on so I can find out if there’s terror incidents, or awful tragedies, or massively important scientific breakthroughs or whatever. Today I had a push notification telling me some commoner turned 40 and had a photoshoot.

• Like 1

Haha that puts the Morrison government in a bit of a pickle after his big show and dance about being “tough on boarders!” 😁

They still have the power to just revoke the visa again but it makes them look stupid whichever way they turn now. 

Â