Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

This is a massive story, not only about sport but how the Chinese government controls its citizens. 

2 months until the winter Olympics in Peking. World of sports sure loves putting competitions in horrible places as longs as they are paying.

Very brave of the tennis world to go against China.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai has denied making an accusation of sexual assault, in her first media interview since alleging a top Chinese leader had coerced her to have sex.

Ms Peng sparked global concern when she disappeared from public view after posting the allegations online.

She has now said there had been "a lot of misunderstandings" about the post.

The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) said it was still concerned that she was being censored by the state.

In the video interview with Lianhe Zaobao, a Singaporean Chinese-language newspaper, Ms Peng explained: "I have never said or written that anyone sexually assaulted me. This point must be emphasised very clearly."

Now there's a surprise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59723676

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thank god for that, I'm so relieved. 

Good to know the poor girl was never harmed and it was all a big mistake. 

Thank goodness it's come from her now as well instead of some pretend tweet. 

And to think some folk doubted the party that is for the people. 

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thank god for that, I'm so relieved. 

Good to know the poor girl was never harmed and it was all a big mistake. 

Thank goodness it's come from her now as well instead of some pretend tweet. 

And to think some folk doubted the party that is for the people. 

I, for one, will welcome our new Chinese overlords, when they eventually take over. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anti-vaxxer Novak Djokovic given an exception by Australian authorities so that he can play in the Australian Open. 

Feels problematic to me and not sure if it sends a good signal even thou I imagine there is huge pressure from sponsors to have him in the tournament.

I have a strong feeling that the NBA have taken the same approach with Lebron James for the very exact reasons but doubt we'll ever get the truth if that is the case. Would be a monumental scandal that.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Anti-vaxxer Novak Djokovic given an exception by Australian authorities so that he can play in the Australian Open. 

Feels problematic to me and not sure if it sends a good signal even thou I imagine there is huge pressure from sponsors to have him in the tournament.

I have a strong feeling that the NBA have taken the same approach with Lebron James for the very exact reasons but doubt we'll ever get the truth if that is the case. Would be a monumental scandal that.

Doesn't matter how many slams he wins, he will never be regarded as better then Federer or Nadal. Dislikeable fella but as you say most probably down to money in this instance, it's the route of all evil especially in sport.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Doesn't matter how many slams he wins, he will never be regarded as better then Federer or Nadal. Dislikeable fella but as you say most probably down to money in this instance, it's the route of all evil especially in sport.

Probably not, he seems like a moron. That said I absolutely hate Nadal and I'm 100% convinced he's used doping, epo/blood doping.

They have backed down as he is the only big star left in men's tennis. Disappointing.

Tennis has a lot of challenges once the big 4/3 finally all retire and also Serena Williams. 

I can see a lot of changes with the mens slams going to 3 sets until the final. People can't be bothered to watch 3 hours at a time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They have backed down as he is the only big star left in men's tennis. Disappointing.

Tennis has a lot of challenges once the big 4/3 finally all retire and also Serena Williams. 

I can see a lot of changes with the mens slams going to 3 sets until the final. People can't be bothered to watch 3 hours at a time.

I much prefer the women's game because of this, the Raleighs are more entertaining then the men's. There have been some classic matches of course but they are becomg so few and far between. Good move for me.

9 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I much prefer the women's game because of this, the Raleighs are more entertaining then the men's. There have been some classic matches of course but they are becomg so few and far between. Good move for me.

Yes we believe you. 😂

• Haha 1

Â