Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

I don't even think that he's an "anti-vaxxer". As far as I can see, he's just said that he believes in freedom of choice and didn't want to fuel the existing media hostility whereby one side is being constantly pitted against the other. Didn't he donate €1 million to hospitals in Serbia for ventilators?

I don't even follow tennis, and don't really have any feelings towards the bloke, but seeing how quick the media wants slap the "anti-vaxxer" tag on someone who, to my knowledge, has never said that people shouldn't get vaccinated, is typical.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Well done Australia.

Don't hold your breath. Legal challenge has gone in. He'll try to buy his way in. 

I hope they stand firm.

7 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Well done Australia.

It’s pretty ridiculous that he was told he could come but only had his visa pulled once there was public backlash. Other less high profile unvaccinated players have been allowed in to play. Farcical really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s pretty ridiculous that he was told he could come but only had his visa pulled once there was public backlash. Other less high profile unvaccinated players have been allowed in to play. Farcical really. 

Yeah, that aspect of it is farcical I agree. But then I’m not sure how much sway he had over the negotiations with the tennis federation where he managed to secure an exemption without being under obligation to explain why.

That’s what caused this mess, really - that there was a secret deal for him to sidestep the requirements because he’s a big name in tennis. I’m sorta not surprised the federal government stepped in and overrode that, because the obvious conclusion was that they gave him a pass on a technicality because he’s rich and good at tennis. Which is not on imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, that aspect of it is farcical I agree. But then I’m not sure how much sway he had over the negotiations with the tennis federation where he managed to secure an exemption without being under obligation to explain why.

That’s what caused this mess, really - that there was a secret deal for him to sidestep the requirements because he’s a big name in tennis. I’m sorta not surprised the federal government stepped in and overrode that, because the obvious conclusion was that they gave him a pass on a technicality because he’s rich and good at tennis. Which is not on imo.

He was initially granted a visa from the federal government based on a medical assessment from the Victorian Government and Tennis Australia (it is suspected he was claiming a recent infection and recovery as his reason for exemption, but that has not been confirmed) so got on the plane to Australia. However there was a massive public outcry. The Victorian government have claimed the federal government contacted them to have them stand behind the exemption they gave him. In the end it seems neither the state government or the federal government wants the negative publicity his arrival has brought (it’s a federal election year) so the federal government have pulled the visa and made a big song and dance about being tough on border control. 

It’s stupid that he was told he could come and been messed about for political reasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

He was initially granted a visa from the federal government based on a medical assessment from the Victorian Government and Tennis Australia (it is suspected he was claiming a recent infection and recovery as his reason for exemption, but that has not been confirmed) so got on the plane to Australia. However there was a massive public outcry. The Victorian government have claimed the federal government contacted them to have them stand behind the exemption they gave him. In the end it seems neither the state government or the federal government wants the negative publicity his arrival has brought (it’s a federal election year) so the federal government have pulled the visa and made a big song and dance about being tough on border control. 

It’s stupid that he was told he could come and been messed about for political reasons. 

It's stupid he hasn't just taken the bloody vaccine. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yup, but he also could have avoided most of the outcry if he’d come out and said “I’m not vaccinated but I’ve had covid and so I don’t need the vaccine”, as I think the secrecy was a big part of the problem.

As I said, I agree the flip flopping was harsh. But that stems from the fact he was given VIP treatment in the first place.

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's stupid he hasn't just taken the bloody vaccine. 

That’s on him but the government should have made it clear from the outset that there would be consequences for that. Not flip flopped in response to public opinion. 

• Like 1

Â