Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Listening to 5live early this morning and the expert they had on the blower mentioned that a few other players had come in on exemption visas but Novak's paperwork wasn't as robust as the other players. Specifically mentioned was the other player's papers all had 3 doctors signatures where our Serbian friend had just the one signature (could well be his own personal quack). Hence we was pointed back to the departure lounge. Didn't help bragging about it on insta before setting off, the tool.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The only thing i would say though is why is not applied in other sports? He isnt the only non vaccinated sports star. Its like they are making an example of him. It should be across all sports

Welcome back, Dem. Good to see you back on the board.

I think the Aussie stance is that they have set out the terms under which all visitors get access to their country. If you meet their regulations, you're in. If not, then you don't. There's an implied assumption in your question that others sportsmen have gained access to the country without meeting their criteria but that doesn't seem to be what they are saying. The primary qualification is to be vaxxed but if you're not there are other options available. They are saying that Djokovic hasn't met those criteria. Others may have. Ultimately though, we don't know the details on any others sportsmen or women in tennis or any other discipline. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

Welcome back, Dem. Good to see you back on the board.

I think the Aussie stance is that they have set out the terms under which all visitors get access to their country. If you meet their regulations, you're in. If not, then you don't. There's an implied assumption in your question that others sportsmen have gained access to the country without meeting their criteria but that doesn't seem to be what they are saying. The primary qualification is to be vaxxed but if you're not there are other options available. They are saying that Djokovic hasn't met those criteria. Others may have. Ultimately though, we don't know the details on any others sportsmen or women in tennis or any other discipline. 

Thank you.

I just do wonder though if there are other sports stars that are unvaccinated (e.g ronaldo of utd) if they would receive  the same level of media coverage?

I may be wrong but i think i read that some European countries are making it mandatory for all footballers to be vaccinated by x date. What happens then in  Cl games would that mean if for example  it was roma vs man utd and 7 utd players were not vaccinated they cant play?

My point is had to be the same across the board. If Djokovic has chosen not to take vaccine thats his choice but i dont think it should have been made public unless he intentionally misled Australia 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thank you.

I just do wonder though if there are other sports stars that are unvaccinated (e.g ronaldo of utd) if they would receive  the same level of media coverage?

I may be wrong but i think i read that some European countries are making it mandatory for all footballers to be vaccinated by x date. What happens then in  Cl games would that mean if for example  it was roma vs man utd and 7 utd players were not vaccinated they cant play?

My point is had to be the same across the board. If Djokovic has chosen not to take vaccine thats his choice but i dont think it should have been made public unless he intentionally misled Australia 

The trouble is, each country has the power to make and enforce their own rules. What is acceptable to one country might not be to another. 

I've done a quick google and can't find any suggestion that countries are mandating footballer to get vaccinated. There are some countries that are heading in that direction for all inhabitants but that's slightly different to what you are suggesting. I'd imagine if France, for example mandates it for everyone, they won't be allowing anyone in who isn't compliant, regardless of their stature in whatever sport they partake. 

As Novak - from what I can see, he tried to get ahead of the situation by announcing publicly he was heading down there. He would have known their rules and would have known he didn't meet their initial criteria but presumed he was going to get in on a technicality. I can't see how their cancelling of his visa could ever have happened without news of it getting into the public sphere. It was incumbent upon him to make sure he was going to meet the criteria before boarding the plane. From the sounds of it, someone gave him that assurance but it's been overruled. With him having announced that he was 100% going to Oz, there's no way that would or could have not made the press one way or another. 

His parents have held a press conference saying he's being treated like a criminal and held like a prisoner.

1) Please explain to me where else in the world a prisoner can jump on an aeroplane and jet home at any time they please and

2) As he's in a quarantine hotel same as all the other ordinary people who have to isolate.  I assume when they say treated as a criminal they actually mean treated like a normal everyday person.

I have to say they come across as absolute words removed.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

He probably thinks he doesnt need it as hes had it before and didnt get ill. Is that selfish maybe, but do the vaccines stop you from getting it anway because theres so many people wheer i live who have been tested positive and had all three vaccines. The Australian rule is a bit stupid imo. Negative tests should be enough. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He probably thinks he doesnt need it as hes had it before and didnt get ill. Is that selfish maybe, but do the vaccines stop you from getting it anway because theres so many people wheer i live who have been tested positive and had all three vaccines. The Australian rule is a bit stupid imo. Negative tests should be enough. 

1) Yes they do reduce the chance of you getting it.  Not stop it altogether but reduce it yes.  Funny, everyone knows someone who has been jabbed and caught it but the thousands of people who have been jabbed and not caught it are ignored.

2) Do you mean like that arctic station where everyone has Covid because someone came in with a negative test?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

1) Yes they do reduce the chance of you getting it.  Not stop it altogether but reduce it yes.  Funny, everyone knows someone who has been jabbed and caught it but the thousands of people who have been jabbed and not caught it are ignored.

2) Do you mean like that arctic station where everyone has Covid because someone came in with a negative test?

Theres 4 people I know who havent been vaccinated and two of them came back with negative pcr tests in the last two weeks. Yet everybody where I live has been tripple vaccinated and theres a number of positive cases. Minor symptoms though.  I can omly speak from personal experience. Not saying it doesnt reduce it at all but I think with the new variant it doesnt reduce the chance of getting it by much. 

I’m really glad the BBC decided Novak Djokovic being stuck at the Australian border was newsworthy enough to send me several push notifications providing live updates on the situation, otherwise I don’t think I’d have given the slightest shit whether or not he played in the tournament. Riveting stuff, Beeb

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Theres 4 people I know who havent been vaccinated and two of them came back with negative pcr tests in the last two weeks. Yet everybody where I live has been tripple vaccinated and theres a number of positive cases. Minor symptoms though.  I can omly speak from personal experience. Not saying it doesnt reduce it at all but I think with the new variant it doesnt reduce the chance of getting it by much. 

Well me my wife and daughter have just spent a week with my son in the house isolating because he had it and none of us fully jabbed got it.  I mean he kept to himself as much as possible but non the less we were fully expecting to catch it living in such close proximity.  Maybe we were just very very very fastidious, or maybe we were very, very, very lucky or maybe the jabs we've all had stopped us getting it.

Either way good luck in arguing your point with highly qualified Australian Government disease experts.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its very strange because all the non vaccinated i know havent got covid but most of the people i know who got the booster recently  got covid.  Mild mind you like a cold (sore throat, and cough mainky) . The missus has it currently. Dont know if thats a coincidence  or not. Impossible to know. Like you cant only go on personal experience.  Im sure there will be others here who will say its different for people around them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Never underestimate those shape shifting lizards. They have fingers in lots of pies 😁

Do lizards have fingers? 

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Doesnt exactly look like a luxury hotel room hes staying in.  Maybe its partly his own fault but it seems very strange that a man thats has won 9 Australian opens to be treated this way. 

It's not a luxury hotel, it's a quarantine hotel. Why should anyone be treated differently regardless of sporting achievements?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It's not a luxury hotel, it's a quarantine hotel. Why should anyone be treated differently regardless of sporting achievements?

Its not how you treat a sporting hero because he just wants to enter the country to play in their most prestigious tennis tournament which he has graced so many times and raised the level of that tournament. 

• Haha 1

Â