Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

9 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Dickovic stuck on 20 majors with Federer and Nadal. Only a matter of time I guess would be great if they all ended up with the same numbers.

i know it won't happen, but i think that would be a fitting end result to 3 great playing careers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Only fair I guess, he is a super talent but no where near as endearing or classy as the other two.

He is very much a smug, arrogant dude no doubt. Good reason I suppose in the sense of what he accomplished, but not someone I'd want to hang out with lol.

Actually coolest tennis player I have ever met is Andre Agassi. Now he's just an extremely nice dude.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

He is very much a smug, arrogant dude no doubt. Good reason I suppose in the sense of what he accomplished, but not someone I'd want to hang out with lol.

Actually coolest tennis player I have ever met is Andre Agassi. Now he's just an extremely nice dude.

He was great, another slam winner too if I remember correctly. 

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

He was great, another slam winner too if I remember correctly. 

Oh yeah won 8 of them. Him and Pete Sampras were a couple of my sporting heroes when I was growing up. Every time they played it was an event. I tried to play tennis in my youth. My serve was pretty solid. Other parts of my game...not so much lol.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Oh yeah won 8 of them. Him and Pete Sampras were a couple of my sporting heroes when I was growing up. Every time they played it was an event. I tried to play tennis in my youth. My serve was pretty solid. Other parts of my game...not so much lol.

Yes, I meant he'd won all four slam majors. I never thought anyone would ever come along and beat sampras's haul. Both super players.

I'm old enough to remember Borg like it was yesterday too, long time ago but I seem to remember he looked unbeatable at times.

It's a sport I'd rather watch then play and I'm not that bothered on watching the mens at all.rrally apart from Federer Nadal. Prefer the ladies way more.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Stupid cow. If she doesn't now win every game she ever plays again she'll be a failure in my eyes. 

Yeh yeh, wait till she's 21, you'll be down the gym every day pal. Her forehand smash would have you in tears 

If she never won another match in her life she’s still achieved something fantastic … but from what I’ve seen of her I think she will comfortably win more slams , it’s been a whirlwind few weeks for her , with lots of attention and hype , she looked grounded enough to deal with all that long term though .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

If she never won another match in her life she’s still achieved something fantastic … but from what I’ve seen of her I think she will comfortably win more slams , it’s been a whirlwind few weeks for her , with lots of attention and hype , she looked grounded enough to deal with all that long term though .

I think winning the second one will be the hardest. It may not come as soon as people expect but she will be a multi-slam winner. 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't understand the decision to immediately sack the coach though. Especially if she hasn't got a new one lined up to come in.  Seems an odd and rushed decision. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand the decision to immediately sack the coach though. Especially if she hasn't got a new one lined up to come in.  Seems an odd and rushed decision. 

Different coaches for different stages in a career. Previous was an LTA coach wasn't he, who was also a teacher up til not that long ago iirc. He's done his job, she needs someone else now and she can afford it

On 09/10/2021 at 11:48, tonyh29 said:

Agree, she will definitely win more. Sometimes as fans we just see the athlete and forget the human side.

Yes she had a nice run at Wimbledon but I’d hazard a guess that outside of the tennis bubble most brits wouldn’t have been able to pick her out in lineup prior to the US open, and suddenly you wake up and your face is front page news around the world. 

I agree with your point that she seems grounded enough to deal with that, but it must be difficult initially. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â