Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Shame to see Draper and Raducanu both out. Think, another month or so and maybe both win their games, Emma at least. Physically nearly there but was hanging on and in pure fight mode at the end. But pretty encouraging in other respects. 

Meanwhile Blinkova knocks out Rybakina with a 22-20 tie break decider :o  God that would be incredibly tense. 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

And Jannik Sinner takes the fifth set - what a great contest to win from 2 sets down

He bludgeoned Mededev to submission, not exactly much finesse.  The first set and a half Mededev tactically out-schooled him but was eventually overpowered. To spend a day on court during the championship is frankly ridiculous and he had some difficult late-night scheduling to deal with. Seems to be doing a Murray and keeps on losing in the AO final. Still makes a generational change from Novax winning it every bloody year.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Saudis controlling even more of the world can only be a good thing right?

Saudi Arabia launch tennis takeover with $2bn take-it-or-leave-it offer

Exclusive: Saudi offer to merge men’s and women’s tours is apparently time-sensitive, with a 90-day expiration period if it is not accepted

Saudi Arabia has made its move for tennis, Telegraph Sport can reveal, with a $2 billion take-it-or-leave-it offer to merge the men’s and women’s tours.

Sources say that after the Premium Tour discussions in Indian Wells last Saturday, ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi asked the Masters tournaments to stay behind once the four grand slams had left the room. Gaudenzi then briefed them on an offer from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF). The deal is said to be time-sensitive, with a 90-day expiration period if it is not accepted. As things stand, the four grand slams would not be part of this PIF offer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2024/03/12/saudi-arabia-launches-tennis-takeover-1-billion-pound-offer/

I know you're not asking for a 'real answer' but it's worth posting in case others don't know - Because they have horrendous human rights issues that nobody likes, but now, loads of sports that everyone cares about.

Someone was beheaded for being homosexual?

Yes, but they've got this new golf tournament so I'm gonna forget about that and enjoy the next few days.

Not for me, at all - and (not tennis related, granted) - I'm worried about where our club is going too

Â