Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

On 17/11/2021 at 11:48, The Fun Factory said:

Sounds like its the end for Federer. Won't be back until summer 22 and will miss Wimbledon.  I can't see him coming back after this as he will be 41 next year. It's a shame if he can't go out playing on court.

I'm surprised he didn't pack it in a few years ago. It was clear his body was broken beyond repair. He'll be a wreck later in life. He had nothing left to prove either, clearly the best of his generation. 

On 11/01/2022 at 22:41, sidcow said:

Sounds like Australia are considering if he's provided fake information on his Visa application. Hope they chuck him out. 

You got it.He did provide false info and his visa has been cancelled.He is going to appeal.

For the number 1 tennis player he is definately NOT doing the sport any good.scumbag.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'm surprised he didn't pack it in a few years ago. It was clear his body was broken beyond repair. He'll be a wreck later in life. He had nothing left to prove either, clearly the best of his generation. 

That's because he was still competing at the top. In 2019 he reached the Wimbledon final and he obviously believed he still had a few majors left in him.  He won slams in 17 and 18.

Djokovic to defend title via Zoom

TENNIS star Novak Djokovic is to compete in the Australian Open remotely via Zoom, it has been confirmed.

With Australia cancelling Djokovic’s visa for a second time ahead of his first match on Monday, the 34-year-old Serbian will work from home by playing all of his games over the video conferencing platform.

His agent said: “We’ll place a laptop on the court with the webcam facing his opponent, then he’ll dial in from the comfort of his sofa in Belgrade. It’s not an ideal solution, but this is what the new normal looks like.

“People in the room will throw balls at him and he’ll volley them right back at 125mph. It was either that or the whole competition would be conducted via email, which I think you’ll agree would be ridiculous.

“The only other solution would be to get vaccinated or fill out the correct paperwork ahead of travel. But if you’ve ever met Djokovic or seen him on TV then you’ll know that sane, rational behaviour is off the table.”

Ball boy Martin Bishop said: “It’s the laptop I’m worried about. If it freezes for a second and costs him a point then he’ll pulverise it with his racket.”

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes and get jabbed. At the end of the day hes just a tennis player and a great one at that not a criminal. 

He’ll never get the vaccine. It’s against his beliefs. It will be interesting to see how he gets in with travel to other tournaments as well. 

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He’ll never get the vaccine. It’s against his beliefs. It will be interesting to see how he gets in with travel to other tournaments as well. 

I've a feeling by the time the French Open rolls around we might see travel completely opened up again, assuming no new variant becomes proper serious. 

But I can't see the French being very sympathetic toward him. 

I expect he'll pick more minor tournaments in places where he can buy his way in. 

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've a feeling by the time the French Open rolls around we might see travel completely opened up again, assuming no new variant becomes proper serious. 

But I can't see the French being very sympathetic toward him. 

I expect he'll pick more minor tournaments in places where he can buy his way in. 

Hes not interested in the minor tournemanents only slams. 

41 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes not interested in the minor tournemanents only slams. 

He's got to play in minor tournaments.  Can't just rock up at a Grand Slam having not played for months. 

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I used to like Djokovic, but the arrogance of him and his family highlights that they are all bunch of spunk trumpets.

The way their press conferences blew up in their faces was hilarious though.

• Like 1

Â