Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Not sure whether the old tennis thread has been pruned but Laura Robson just knocked Kvitova out of the Aussie Open. Excellent stuff.

Having seen her up close, she definitely has the physique to compete with the current crop (excluding an in form Serena). Hopefully she'll come on leaps and bounds in the next few months.

I got paid to watch the game today, I thought Murray looked sensational in beating Fed. He was kinda unlucky that the game even went to give sets.

I quite like Andy Murray.  Used to think he was a miserable twunt, but that's changed over the last year or so.  I'm not a huge tennis fan by any means, but I'll try to watch Murray's more important games.  Stayed up to watch the US Open final last year, despite having to be up early in the morning, but it was definitely worth it.

Federer is sadly over the hill but still put up a good fight. Hopefully Djokovic whoops him in the final.

Federer clearly isn't over the hill.  He might not be at his absolutely brilliant peak of 2004-2007 where he was undoubtedly the greatest player of the modern era, but he still has another slam in him. He still has shots that other players simply cannot produce. His longevity is proof of his genius, while Federer is a great athlete and physical specimen he has never needed to trade on athleticism or power. It has always been about finesse and creativity which is why he never got the injuries that blighted Nadal who won so much by chasing every ball (and getting there). 

Murray looks like he has moved up a level though.   I'd agree that Djokovic is a slight favourite going into the final but Murray is a real contender now, and I'd love to see Murray win another slam this year. He has the ability, he has the confidence and Djok cant win everything.  If father time does catch up with Federer and injuries continue to hamper Nadal then the future could be very bright indeed for Murray.

Oh, and like I said earlier I managed to watch the entire game today while I was at work (easy job ftw I guess) and spent the last hour with a fucktard who hates Murray because of the "anybody but England" comment from the 2006 World Cup.  People still buy into that shit?      :wacko:

Â