Relegation thread

Knutserov13

I'm praying for a surprise win against Arsenal, taking all the nerves off the final game (assuming we beat Everton of course). 6 points should do it I think, in the event that it doesn't, a draw should. Mutually assured survival.

Edited by Keyblade

40 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm praying for a surprise win against Arsenal, taking all the nerves off the final game (assuming we beat Everton of course). 6 points should do it I think, in the event that it doesn't, a draw should. Mutually assured survival.

I’m think about that but to be honest, the worry about Everton for now is the biggest feeling. It feels like the second leg of the playoffs. 
But let’s see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Don't see us beating Arsenal to be honest, but I'd Kevin Keegan love it if we did.

Potentially Arsenal is pretty winnable. They’ve nothing to play for, not in good form, could still be in the FA Cup Final and are rubbish away. 

I don't think arsenal are rubbish - they're very inconsistent for a top side as they're bringing through a lot of young players and an inexperienced manager.  Post lockdown they've still dismantled good teams eg Wolves. I'd love to be wrong but I don't think we'll get anything there. For me, everything is riding on beating Everton. 

Arsenal are one of those teams we all think are rubbish because they don’t have a team of superstars anymore and we hear their fans moaning about how poor they are now.

In reality, they’re still a very good side and far better than us. For us to beat them, we’d need to play brilliantly and they’d need to have somewhat of an off day. 

No matter which way you look at it. We’ve got 3 games left against 3 teams that are better than us so we’ll need to defy the odds in each to survive.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully Ancelotti throws in a few more youth team players like that Gordon guy who's been starting games for them recently. Young and enthusastic but too many of them and you can see Jack suckering them into giving away dangerous FKs around the box.

Pickford might be dropped aswell as he was awful today.

Hope not Pickford. No idea who the back up keeper is but i guarantee he is better

• Like 1

We have a score to settle witha arsenal but lets see if we even beat everton first as if we lose that its definitely over. 

Realistically a draw watford snd west ham would be gokd and a villa in with a bournmouth  loss.

Arsenal have taken only one less point than Liverpool over the last ten games, but they're beatable if they have an off day and we have good one. Think we just have to worry about Everton for now though, hopefully a good result in that one will give us the confidence to give Arsenal a good game, and if we could sneak win would hopefully make them all the more determined to bounce back against Watford on the final day.

I guess we’ll be playing Arsenal at as close to the best time as possible, hopefully just after they’ve been through an extra time FA Cup semifinal. Which hopefully they lose and will be on a downer. Fingers crossed. Small details could make all the difference in the relegation run-in. We’ve got 3 full days to prepare for the Everton game now, so hopefully everyone gets a day to rest today and then two full days of match preparation. It’s not going to be as easy as some people think, even if they have little to play for. We must look to improve on the Palace display and take at least the same level of desire into the Everton game, desire could be the defining difference between the teams. If we could somehow sneak a win then us fans (and the players) could actually relax the following day and watch Watford and West Ham scratch each other’s eyes out on Friday night. If we want our destiny back in our own hands then we have to hope for a draw or Watford win. We HAVE to win Everton game to put any sort of pressure on, though. One point really won’t cut it at this stage. 

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have a score to settle witha arsenal but lets see if we even beat everton first as if we lose that its definitely over. 

Realistically a draw watford snd west ham would be gokd and a villa in with a bournmouth  loss.

I've made the case for a draw being the best result rather than a West Ham or even Watford win, but that was based on the assumption that we beat Everton before that. If we lose or draw on Thursday, then a draw in the match on Friday makes it very difficult for us to catch either of those teams, so then I'd prefer a win either way (and again an argument can be made for each scenario).

• Like 1

If we beat Everton I will be very surprised let alone Arsenal. Have a feeling Bournemouth might take this out of our own hands anyway .

I can't let my hopes build up. Not yet , not until the last game and a win needed to keep us up, only then will I allow myself to dream .

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

If we beat Everton I will be very surprised let alone Arsenal. Have a feeling Bournemouth might take this out of our own hands anyway .

I can't let my hopes build up. Not yet , not until the last game and a win needed to keep us up, only then will I allow myself to dream .

Bournemouth are away to City on Wednesday. If City play like they did vs Brighton they could hit double figures 

One thing about Guardiola teams is they dont go on the beach before the end of the season 

Edited by Zatman

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Knowing us, we would beat Arsenal, only need a point to stay up against West Ham but get battered. lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

All our remaining games could potentially be against teams at the beach with nothing to play for.

arsenal and hopefully west ham, yes. i'm expecting a reaction from everton. i dont see us winning that

Year we stayed up under Sherwood we needed to beat West Ham and Everton. Getting a sense of deja vu

We then got smashed by Arsenal 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2