Relegation thread

Knutserov13

As long as Watford do not defeat Arsenal in the final match (draw is OK)...2 wins including one versus West Ham should keep us safe.  Also presumes Bournemouth will not be able to defeat both  Southampton and Everton (one win is OK)

Best Everton and after this round of fixtures, we will be a maximum of 2 points from safety. That could be a big pshychological boost. Knowing we are in touching distance. This is a huge game for us on Thursday. 

Lose and I think that's it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Unfortunately, asmuch as I retain some hope, I think we will probably only get another 3 points.

yeah unfortunately i didn't really see anything in the palace game that makes me feel any differently to this :(

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dappadan said:

Just following how we did it there 

12 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Not with our goal difference unfortunately 

We were playing much better then and they were playing worse.

ManU have found some decent form.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yeah unfortunately i didn't really see anything in the palace game that makes me feel any differently to this :(

True.

but it was a win, you only have to be better than the opposition, in any game.

sounds obvious and simplistic, but its true.

but you have to have players and manager, who can ensure that happens.

I don’t mind Watford (except Deeney, but I am able to see that as just a bit of banter as an ex-bluenose), and it would not add to the hurt when/if we are relegated if they stay up instead of us. Looking at their forum they are off course pissed off (and rightly so) by the VAR-situations in two of our recent games. Not sure they know how bad VAR has been for us throughout this season though. Relegation threatened teams will always have many ifs and buts, and I bet that will apply to all teams fighting for their lives now. Maybe it all evens out during the season.

Unfortunately, I do not think we will beat Everton. They have better players than us, except maybe in central midfield. The question is how Evertons reaction after the Wolves game will be, and how much confidence a win against Palace has given us. It doesn’t matter how crap Palace was, it will still give us some confidence.

If we were to win against Everton, I would prefer West Ham to beat Watford on Friday. We would face a safe West Ham and Watford needing a result against Arsenal the last day of the season to stay up. I think this is the best hope we have, as I don’t fancy us beating a motivated West Ham which has goals in them.

And then there is Bournemouth….phew, too much to consider….vital that Southampton get at least a point against them.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

The fact we won a game is enough to take into the following fixture. Taking into account that our defensive preparation was severely compromised by injuries both before the game and then only a handful of minutes into the game, we done ok. Everton are without doubt a more dangerous opposition than Palace because they have more players capable of scoring goals. We’ll need to find our best performance yet to win the game. But it is winnable. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, obanken said:

I don’t mind Watford (except Deeney, but I am able to see that as just a bit of banter as an ex-bluenose), and it would not add to the hurt when/if we are relegated if they stay up instead of us. Looking at their forum they are off course pissed off (and rightly so) by the VAR-situations in two of our recent games. Not sure they know how bad VAR has been for us throughout this season though. Relegation threatened teams will always have many ifs and buts, and I bet that will apply to all teams fighting for their lives now. Maybe it all evens out during the season.

Unfortunately, I do not think we will beat Everton. They have better players than us, except maybe in central midfield. The question is how Evertons reaction after the Wolves game will be, and how much confidence a win against Palace has given us. It doesn’t matter how crap Palace was, it will still give us some confidence.

If we were to win against Everton, I would prefer West Ham to beat Watford on Friday. We would face a safe West Ham and Watford needing a result against Arsenal the last day of the season to stay up. I think this is the best hope we have, as I don’t fancy us beating a motivated West Ham which has goals in them.

And then there is Bournemouth….phew, too much to consider….vital that Southampton get at least a point against them.

It doesn't matter that Crystal Palace or any team is crap......we just need a mentality of knowing how to win.

you just have to be better on the day than the opposition.......poor performances can still win games if the opposition is poor too.

this is where i am not on the same page as Dean......you win games and performances improve......you just have to be that bit better than the opposition and get the win.....to do that against Liverpool, you performace automatically has to be better.

I think Dean has it the wrong way around.....he needs to be results manager and the performances will follow.

a winning manager, automatically gets performance .

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It doesn't matter that Crystal Palace or any team is crap......we just need a mentality of knowing how to win.

you just have to be better on the day than the opposition.......poor performances can still win games if the opposition is poor too.

this is where i am not on the same page as Dean......you win games and performances improve......you just have to be that bit better than the opposition and get the win.....to do that against Liverpool, you performace automatically has to be better.

I think Dean has it the wrong way around.....he needs to be results manager and the performances will follow.

a winning manager, automatically gets performance .

A la Bruce. 😜

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Unfortunately, asmuch as I retain some hope, I think we will probably only get another 3 points.

This is me probably being a little bit pessimistic. Being optimistic I have us, Watford and Bournemouth finishing on 35 points each and us going down on GD by 2 goals and Watford staying up! As optimistic as I can get right now. 

I'm hoping that win against will give the team a big mental boost for the Everton game. 

Sometimes when teams play better/well and they still don't win that can get fairly demoralizing, the "no matter what we do we can't win" mentality. 

Win against Everton on Thursday and we are right in this thing. Lose and we are down for sure imho. 

I'm retaining hope until Thursday at least :flag:

• Like 1

Sadly I think it's too little too late.

We are relying on far too many permutations and I just can't see them all going our way. I have a feeling Watford or Bournemouth are going to pull off a shock result that will seal our fate. 

• Like 1

I don't want to be that guy, but I really don't see us staying up.

I think we need to win all 3 games, and I don't think we will.

In fact, I don't think we'll beat Everton and that will basically be that 😐 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jim said:

Sadly I think it's too little too late.

We are relying on far too many permutations and I just can't see them all going our way. I have a feeling Watford or Bournemouth are going to pull off a shock result that will seal our fate. 

They've already had their share of them I hope!

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't want to be that guy, but I really don't see us staying up.

I think we need to win all 3 games, and I don't think we will.

In fact, I don't think we'll beat Everton and that will basically be that 😐 

i'm with you. but equally if we beat everton i'll really start to believe we can do it. it'll really put the pressure on teams above us

i dont think i've ever been this invested in a relegation scrap before...just want it over with now

• Like 2

A win should give us confidence against Everton, let's hope we can use that.

I'm hoping they are 'on the beach' like Palace, guess we'll soon find out.

People suggesting Everton are better than Palace, I don't know Palace were flying at one point and Zaha is probably better than Evertons attackers?