Relegation thread

Knutserov13

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Jamal Lewis please if we have to let Grealish go. Perfect replacement, could fill his boots in a season or 2.

Jamal Lewis the left back?

He would be a great buy, not sure about Jacko replacement.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I absolutely love some of these player comparisons of who we could/should have bought.

Allan ‘headless chicken’ Saint-Maximin with his 3 goals and 1 assist in all comps (21 apps). Every time I’ve seen him he’s just looked like a poor Shaun Wright-Phillips or Bolasie. He’s young, so will no doubt improve, but this season he just sprints around attempting step-overs and then blasts the ball into the crowd. Didn’t one of his shots against us go out for a throw in?

Whereas El Ghazi, for a third of the price, has 6 goals and 4 assists in all competitions (29 appearances). Let’s have a bit of patience in some of our own lads, shall we. Don’t write them off like many did Veretout, Gueye and Amavi in their first season in the Prem. They’re all now really good players that we would need to break the bank for.

Maximin has 3 goals & 4 assists in 21 appearances (2 & 2 in 18 league games)

El Ghazi has 6 goals & 7 assists in 30 appearances (4 & 4 in 24 league games)

10 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I absolutely love some of these player comparisons of who we could/should have bought.

Allan ‘headless chicken’ Saint-Maximin with his 3 goals and 1 assist in all comps (21 apps). Every time I’ve seen him he’s just looked like a poor Shaun Wright-Phillips or Bolasie. He’s young, so will no doubt improve, but this season he just sprints around attempting step-overs and then blasts the ball into the crowd. Didn’t one of his shots against us go out for a throw in?

Whereas El Ghazi, for a third of the price, has 6 goals and 4 assists in all competitions (29 appearances). Let’s have a bit of patience in some of our own lads, shall we. Don’t write them off like many did Veretout, Gueye and Amavi in their first season in the Prem. They’re all now really good players that we would need to break the bank for.

My Newcastle friends thing Saint-Maximin is quality and one of the few reasons why they keep getting these jammy results. He has genuine pace and can beat players—you can't say the same for many of our players.

Imagine if we had a genuinely pacey winger we could use to counter attack with. It would make all the difference.

• Like 1

But it's not always about the goal points.

Maximin creates space for others with his pace.

El Ghazi is just too inconsistent. He has a worldie and then goes missing for the next 10 games.

Maximin dribbles past players and creates space for others on a consistent basis.

I'd take Maximin over El Ghazi any day of the week

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rolta said:

My Newcastle friends thing Saint-Maximin is quality and one of the few reasons why they keep getting these jammy results. He has genuine pace and can beat players—you can't say the same for many of our players.

Imagine if we had a genuinely pacey winger we could use to counter attack with. It would make all the difference.

I don't disagree.

His pace is an asset, but at this stage in his development, it's also one of his only assets, and his headless chicken routine or (often) lack of end product doesn't really make me think that we should have sacrificed buying 2 players for buying 1 like him, which would be the only argument for us having been able to bring in him (or someone like him, in that price range) last summer.

We can easily pick out a handful of successful 15-25m players and say "Why didn't we?..", but equally we could have brought in a Joelinton/Haller that has got no-where near justifying the price paid.

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't disagree.

His pace is an asset, but at this stage in his development, it's also one of his only assets, and his headless chicken routine or (often) lack of end product doesn't really make me think that we should have sacrificed buying 2 players for buying 1 like him, which would be the only argument for us having been able to bring in him (or someone like him, in that price range) last summer.

We can easily pick out a handful of successful 15-25m players and say "Why didn't we?..", but equally we could have brought in a Joelinton/Haller that has got no-where near justifying the price paid.

Sounds like Adama Traore when he was at Villa (with a poor coach)

With a bit of decent coaching i don't see why Maximin can't get to the level of Adama.

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sounds like Adama Traore when he was at Villa (with a poor coach)

With a bit of decent coaching i don't see why Maximin can't get to the level of Adama.

I actually think he's been quite good for them even thou his goals and assist numbers is pretty poor.

He's absolutely perfect for the way they play. Team sits deep and when they win the ball they punt it up the field for him to chase, and more times than not he's the first to reach it. Constantly keeps the defenders on their toes and always tries to take his opponents on.

Problems start with him not being the greatest finisher and also having little to no support or someone to pass the ball to when they break.

Agree with the comparison to a younger Adama, quite similar.

Edited by sne

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yep Saint Maximin has actually offered less than Trezeguet in an attacking sense. He was **** dreadful vs us this season

Reminds me of Adama in a lot of ways (before Adama sorted himself out a bit)

Very exciting, hugely talented, but far from the final package. Looks great on highlights and when he actually produces but could be so much better.

Edited by Stevo985

14 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Let's not forget Saint-Maximin is playing Bruceball. I'd much rather have ASM in our team than Trezeguet (and perhaps even El Ghazi) at this stage.

..and all we'd need to have done would have been to buy 1 fewer player to get a player of his quality/potential. (I.e.: Saint-Maximin instead of Trezeguet AND El Ghazi). So that would be one less option in the squad, and more eggs in one basket. Much like we did in the striker department.

Edited by Rob182

16 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Let's not forget Saint-Maximin is playing Bruceball. I'd much rather have ASM in our team than Trezeguet (and perhaps even El Ghazi) at this stage.

I'd rather have you in the team than Trezeguet, so I don't disagree with you there.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 03:34, Enda said:

60 for Grealish

If we go down, yes.

If we stay up, should be £80m minimum for Grealish. In fact i'd be disappointed with 80.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we go down, yes.

If we stay up, should be £80m minimum for Grealish. In fact i'd be disappointed with 80.

Grealish is priceless and he is not going.

43 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Its worth remembering Newcastle paid £16.5 rising to £20m for him. You need context in all these comparisons - I am sure we were keeping tabs on plenty of players that were/are better but for more money. We needed bums on seats, I think our lot are generally OK, not world beaters but on balance wise purchases for the money.

• Like 1

As well as being an amazing player, Grealish also meets all the criteria for inflating a player's price.

- Plays in an attacking position

- English