Relegation thread

Knutserov13

9 hours ago, thunderball said:

If we go down I only expect Grealish to go. I don’t think anyone else will leave or be allowed to leave, and I think Purslow will have ensured the wages won’t be too much of an issue for a short stay in the Championship. If we stay down however we will have problems again.

I would imagine that Mings would create interest with a  few Premier League clubs.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

I would imagine that Mings would create interest with a  few Premier League clubs.

I think the £50m price tag would put them off again.

3 hours ago, Enda said:

40 for Mings, 25 for McGinn, 60 for Grealish. I’d say.

Am I wrong?

All too low in my opinion. Mings £50m, McGinn £50m, Grealish £65-70m if we go down, or £80-100m if we stay up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

All too low in my opinion. Mings £50m, McGinn £50m, Grealish £65-70m if we go down, or £80-100m if we stay up.

I agree Rob, especially as we are a club with deep pockets, we don’t need to sell. McGinn in the first few games raised eyebrows, but he dropped off a bit, but goal scoring engine house midfielders are a rare commodity. 

Who are we going to buy to replace them? We are spending just as much, and Grealish is a very rare thing, we need to try and hold onto him and build around him.

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mings is playing for England. Going back to the Championship probably means he would be out of the squad. Not sure he'd want to give that up.

This is true, but depends on his loyalty, we backed his ability and persisted to get him out of Bournemouth. I think he is the kind that sees what the club has done for them and sticks by us.

He’s also Captain if Grealish leaves.

Edited by thunderball

Time to go 2 up top with Davis and Samatta, problem being that Davis is made of glass.

A formation of:

Gk

FB CB CB FB

DM 

CM CM

AM

ST ST

Grealis roaming behind and the two full backs providing crosses from deep and byline when they can. We don't look capable of winning 1-0 or scrapping draws so time to push onto defences and make them make mistakes.

Edited by Nicho

This weekends results have put the relegation battle back in our own hands!!

This has to be a massive incentive for our players / staff and fans, if Smith and the coaching team can not get the players to perform in the next 2 games then Goodbye Premier League Goodbye Smith....

30 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Time to go 2 up top with Davis and Samatta, problem being that Davis is made of glass.

A formation of:

Gk

FB CB CB FB

DM 

CM CM

AM

ST ST

Grealis roaming behind and the two full backs providing crosses from deep and byline when they can. We don't look capable of winning 1-0 or scrapping draws so time to push onto defences and make them make mistakes.

I agree, but there's no way we'll be playing two up top for a while. I don't think Davis can handle more than 30 minutes at the moment due to coming back from injury. If he's pushed too much then he'll only get injured again. I think Smith said similar about him before his last injury. I rate him though and think he could still make a difference in some games. We need to give him a new contract.

5 minutes ago, Strangeways said:

In theory yes. Brutal set of fixtures coming up though.

- Leicester

- Chelsea

- Wolves

- Liverpool

- Man Utd

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Win the 2 games in hand and we are back in the green. Its gonna be much less of a fight to stay up from there.

This goes without saying, surely! And you do realise we're playing Leicester with Vardy fit and Chelsea right?

41 minutes ago, Strangeways said:

This has to be a massive incentive for our players / staff and fans, if Smith and the coaching team can not get the players to perform in the next 2 games then Goodbye Premier League Goodbye Smith....

Absolutely! However, my concern is we have had many weekends with results going for us this season and we have turned in a lacklustre performance.

This is my biggest criticism of Smith, he fails to get us fired up and set up correctly in these important games. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

This is true, but depends on his loyalty, we backed his ability and persisted to get him out of Bournemouth. I think he is the kind that sees what the club has done for them and sticks by us.

He’s also Captain if Grealish leaves.

If we keep selling our best players and replacing them with inferior ones....which have managed to do that well over 10-12 years, there is only one place we are heading.

Our best players need to be added to not replaced.....easier said than done I know, but that has to be the plan and as best we can we need to stick to it.

We have seen Traore, Bowen and Saint Maximin all go for 18 million, better than what we have and we sign 2 for the same price, but they rarely make any affect....the odd good cross for El Ghazi, now and again, I suppose.

Its not a criticism, because we needed numbers, its merely and observation of how we need to improve individual  quality to progress.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, jim said:

Absolutely! However, my concern is we have had many weekends with results going for us this season and we have turned in a lacklustre performance.

This is my biggest criticism of Smith, he fails to get us fired up and set up correctly in these important games. 

Jim, I think its down to organisation in the main, we are set up to out score opponents....Burnley in 10th place have scored the same amount of goals as us....it was never beyond us to achieve mid table, but we are set up for the spectacle and to out score teams.

Despite the trials and tribulations, with the front line, the goals for column is really ok, sure we all want to score more, but is ok.......Its the other side of the job thats landed us in the brown stuff.....its as clear as daylight, the task in hand and for the last 11 games, Dean has to set us up more organised....Crystal Palace have just secured 3 clean sheets on the bounce  and projected them to safety, 26 miserly goals they have scored against our commendable 34......Its so obvious where our problem lies, but we can't keep sweeping it under the carpet.

Quite frankly, I don't care if the team bore the **** off me, as long as we stay up.....this week end has been good to us, now we need to be good to ourselves.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

If we keep selling our best players and replacing them with inferior ones....which have managed to do that well over 10-12 years, there is only one place we are heading.

Our best players need to be added to not replaced.....easier said than done I know, but that has to be the plan and as best we can we need to stick to it.

We have seen Traore, Bowen and Saint Maximin all go for 18 million, better than what we have and we sign 2 for the same price, but they rarely make any affect....the odd good cross for El Ghazi, now and again, I suppose.

Its not a criticism, because we needed numbers, its merely and observation of how we need to improve individual  quality to progress.

100% agree, there is no argument against this. This is the challenge and we are fortunate that we have owners who have the clout to hold a hard line through this.

We bought the bare minimum our budget allowed, we still need 2-3 £30-40m players for the next three years before we drag ourselves away from circling the drain, and even that will be an average team.

Incidentally, Traore is probably an £80m player, and Nuno added that value to the £18m hope (risk) value they paid. Just shows the value of good coaching [in a settle? side]

• Thanks 1

I absolutely love some of these player comparisons of who we could/should have bought.

Allan ‘headless chicken’ Saint-Maximin with his 3 goals and 1 assist in all comps (21 apps). Every time I’ve seen him he’s just looked like a poor Shaun Wright-Phillips or Bolasie. He’s young, so will no doubt improve, but this season he just sprints around attempting step-overs and then blasts the ball into the crowd. Didn’t one of his shots against us go out for a throw in?

Whereas El Ghazi, for a third of the price, has 6 goals and 4 assists in all competitions (29 appearances). Let’s have a bit of patience in some of our own lads, shall we. Don’t write them off like many did Veretout, Gueye and Amavi in their first season in the Prem. They’re all now really good players that we would need to break the bank for.

• Like 3