Relegation thread

Knutserov13

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We dont need Gayle, we will have wesley and samatta (and davis possibly).

Probably not lolley either, need a high class signing if we lose grealish.

Eze I would prob agree with, but not sure if we would get him.

Well Wesley probably won't be back until October given it's a 9 month injury and well we know Davis record.

You need 5/6 attackers wide players in championship as a minimum.

West brom this season have Robson-Kanu, Charlie Austin, Zahore, Pereria, Matt Phillips, Diangana as their experienced core and then some youngsters below who are starting to break through.

So a little short start of next season if we don't sign a new striker with the injuries.

Losing Jack means we could also go 4-4-2 on occasions. Hopefully Samatta stays but if not then a Gayle/Davis front two could be interesting with Lolley and El Ghazi out wide.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well Wesley probably won't be back until October given it's a 9 month injury and well we know Davis record.

You need 5/6 attackers wide players in championship as a minimum.

West brom this season have Robson-Kanu, Charlie Austin, Zahore, Pereria, Matt Phillips, Diangana as their experienced core and then some youngsters below who are starting to break through.

So a little short start of next season if we don't sign a new striker with the injuries.

Losing Jack means we could also go 4-4-2 on occasions. Hopefully Samatta stays but if not then a Gayle/Davis front two could be interesting with Lolley and El Ghazi out wide.

Louie Barry hopefully also a squad option for us next season

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

Louie Barry hopefully also a squad option for us next season

He'll certainly figure in the early league cup ties. If he does well could be bench option although I'd rather send him on loan to league one up to January and see how he does.

O'Hare will get more of a shot next season I'd imagine, probably a make or break season as he's been on the fringes for three seasons now and done well on loan.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

He'll certainly figure in the early league cup ties. If he does well could be bench option although I'd rather send him on loan to league one up to January and see how he does.

O'Hare will get more of a shot next season I'd imagine, probably a make or break season as he's been on the fringes for three seasons now and done well on loan.

I hope they do extend his contract if we are relegated.

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

If we are only in the champ one season (lol I know), we have the first year and highest level of parachute payments, plus the 100m ish from the sales of grealish, mcginn and Luiz.

We might need 40m of that to balance the books? (Who knows), then we have 60m odd plus whatever else we can afford to reinvest to get back up immediately.

Yes we spent 130m or so this season, but that was the prem revenue that allowed us to do that, plus the 3 year cycle now doeent include the massive amounts we spent in our first relegation season last time, so its basically the 130m spent this season, then the previous 2 seasons where we actually spent virtually nothing.

It would be a gamble, because if we didn't get up we would of course be in a bit of trouble maybe, but if we sold the players mentioned we would almost certainly have 60m + to reinvest.

Now.....whether we reinvested that wisely and on the right players / good enough players, is another debate entirely.

That is my concern.....can we buy the right players for a 46 game gruel.

I fear we are a bit too obsessed with creative players, who drift in and out of games.

we need a few more durable, resillient types to create the platform and substance...to help us to be harder to beat.

We will use loans aswell. I know some people seem to be dead against it due to not signing Tammy (which when you look at it we were simply very unlucky with all the things that happened to Chelsea and they did as a result) but we signed El Ghazi and Mings on loan down there, they helped get us promoted and we signed them permanently. Would've signed Snodgrass if we'd gone up the previous year.

Certainly need a gritty midfield type to come in. Whelan and Jedinak played their parts last time.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 06:58, TRO said:

excellent side Wolves, tough call.

In a few seasons, the next outsiders to win the league...thats how well they are growing

Their progress depends on keeping their manager, he is doing an excellent job and if he goes the replacement is key

• Like 1

If we go down I only expect Grealish to go. I don’t think anyone else will leave or be allowed to leave, and I think Purslow will have ensured the wages won’t be too much of an issue for a short stay in the Championship. If we stay down however we will have problems again.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If we go down I only expect Grealish to go. I don’t think anyone else will leave or be allowed to leave, and I think Purslow will have ensured the wages won’t be too much of an issue for a short stay in the Championship. If we stay down however we will have problems again.

The only ones I'm  really bothered about are Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Samatta. Everyone else is replaceable.

I think we'll keep all them as well. Heaton is coming back from injury. Mings and Samatta will have three years on their deal, McGinn four.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

The good thing is we have walked through lesser teams (from lower divisions) since our pre-season onwards, our forwards including Wes were finding it easy. If we can tighten up at the back and replace Jack if he leaves we should be ready for the PL in 2021/22with a settled squad.

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

That midfield you stated isnt good enough.

Nakamba would probably be ok as the DM, but we would defo need another DM to compete with him.

lansbury couldn't even get in the team last season. (When fit)

hourihane was hit and miss and had critics last season as well, let's not forget he was so good that he was rotated constantly with Whelan .

Green was pretty useless.

El Ghazi for all his positives, also didn't exactly set the division alight, he was as he is now, very hot and cold, very erratic, 2 good games in 6 or something.

Trez would probably be similar to El ghazi.

Jota would have his uses but would also probably be similar to El Ghazi and trez.

Let's not forget we had green, hourihane, lansbury and El Ghazi last season, and when Jack was injured we literally couldn't buy a win, I dont think those players are as good as you think they are.

However, I do think the GK, defence and strikers are good enough IF we only lose grealish, mcginn and luiz.

We would need to reinvest as much of that as possible in 2/3 quality midfielders and 1/2 quality wide players imo to have a good chance of automatic promotion.

Regarding the bolded part. You and Delphino both seem to have ignored the bit where I clearly said: ‘Other than CM, I think our squad would still be good enough to gain promotion.‘

Only a moron would expect us to lose Grealish, McGinn and Luiz and not being in a new centre-mid or two.

As for the rest of your post, we’ll have to agree to disagree. IMO, Hourihane is a great asset to any team chasing Championship promotion. I agree with you about Lansbury and Nakamba.

Regarding our wingers, El Ghazi blows hot and cold, but so do most wingers other than the elite. Look at Joe Lolley, he hasn’t scored for 9 games and (separately!) went 13 games without a goal earlier this season. Yet some on this forum would wank themselves into a coma if we signed him. :rolleyes:

Trez, El Ghazi, Jota (and Green if we keep him) are good enough for a team chasing promotion. People forget that Jota is a good player down there where he is allowed more time. El Ghazi and Trez seem similar in ability levels, so are definitely good enough for a Championship promotion.

It’s not like I’m suggesting that those players alone would score the goals to get us promoted. We’d be relying on goals from Conor, we’d be relying on goals from Samatta/Wesley with assist provided by Targett/ Guilbert/ Elmo etc.

We have a good squad.

If you were to compare our squad with all the squads of teams from 1st-6th in the Champ, I’d be fairly confident that, quality wise, we’d arguably be on a par, if not better, than all of them.

(Of course all clubs will have a couple of gems (eg: Brentford have Benrahma, Watkins etc) but I’m talking about squads as a whole unit).

• Like 2

It’s like the results Gods are trying their hardest to keep us up but we keep **** it up when it comes to doing our bit!

We really have our destiny in our own hands. 4 home games, and if we win the next two Games in hand we are best placed to survive as we leapfrog everyone. We really need to dig deep and find the right stuff:

Lou Mannheim: “Man looks into the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.” [Wall Street]

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, thunderball said:

It’s like the results Gods are trying their hardest to keep us up but we keep **** it up when it comes to doing our bit!

We really have our destiny in our own hands. 4 home games, and if we win the next two Games in hand we are best placed to survive as we leapfrog everyone. We really need to dig deep and find the right stuff:

Lou Mannheim: “Man looks into the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.” [Wall Street]

Spot on......its up to us.

The game against Leicester , the one we lost from being 2 goals up (Sherwood did his waving arms dance as a tactical guide to the players) was the start of our decline. 

It would be poetic justice if a win against them in our next game would be the start of our upturn. For me its a must win, our players need to play like it is as well. Bigger than last week's final. UTV 

• Like 1

We need to pull a few results out of the bag against some of the top teams like the other strugglers and we have a chance.  On our day I fancy us to score against anyone but we are desperate for a clean sheet. Monday would be nice lol. When is the blades home game scheduled- has it been announced yet? Wilder after Klopp manager of the season for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We will use loans aswell. I know some people seem to be dead against it due to not signing Tammy (which when you look at it we were simply very unlucky with all the things that happened to Chelsea and they did as a result) but we signed El Ghazi and Mings on loan down there, they helped get us promoted and we signed them permanently. Would've signed Snodgrass if we'd gone up the previous year.

Certainly need a gritty midfield type to come in. Whelan and Jedinak played their parts last time.

Abraham, Mings, Snodgrass, Tuanzebe... we’ve had some excellent loans in recent years.

I tend to agree with Rob182 IF we get a couple loans.

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Tuanzebe Targett

Nakamba

Snodgrass Luiz El-Ghazi

Sammy Wes

with Nyland, Konsa, Elmo, Hourihane, Trez, Davis on the bench would put us up there in contention without spending a penny. Obviously I’m just using Tuanzebe and Snodgrass as examples of the sort of player we know for a fact would come.

“Do you want to be the next Tammy Abraham?” would work well on a lot of players.