Relegation thread

Knutserov13

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think we can and should be looking to beat Wolves at home too.

excellent side Wolves, tough call.

In a few seasons, the next outsiders to win the league...thats how well they are growing

• Like 1

IF we go down, and we lose Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Luiz (the four players I think are most likely to leave), I still think we're left with a squad capable of challenging for promotion. We'd be light in the midfield area, but that's expected if you take out McGinn, Luiz and Grealish.

Other than CM, I think our squad would still be good enough to gain promotion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  Hogan / Samatta / Davies / Wesley - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

El Ghazi / Jota - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Trezeguet / Green

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Nakamba / Lansbury / Hourihane - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - Targett / Taylor / Konsa / Engels / Hause / Guilbert / Bree / Elmo - - 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heaton / Steer / Nyland / Sarkic - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bring in a couple of centre-mids and a winger, and I think we'd be in a position to fight for promotion. Plus, should be get promoted, we can invest another £100m + the remaining money from the Grealish/McGinn/Mings/Luiz sales!

This football lark is easy.

On 02/03/2020 at 10:07, HalfTimePost said:

Today is the day it all started last year....no reason it can't again

I’ll give you one.

We don’t have one of, if not the strongest first 11 in the league this time around.

10 minutes ago, jim said:

I’ll give you one.

We don’t have one of, if not the strongest first 11 in the league this time around.

This is like believing in Santa Clause.

Nothing is comparable between the Championship and Premier League.

F***ing hope it happens though. If McGinn really is Santa and he is gonna save us all then i'll be the first one to throw a party.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob182 said:

IF we go down, and we lose Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Luiz (the four players I think are most likely to leave), I still think we're left with a squad capable of challenging for promotion. We'd be light in the midfield area, but that's expected if you take out McGinn, Luiz and Grealish.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  Hogan / Samatta / Davies / Wesley - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

El Ghazi / Jota - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Trezeguet / Green

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Nakamba / Lansbury / Hourihane - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heaton / Steer / Nyland / Sarkic - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bring in a couple of centre-mids and a winger, and I think we'd be in a position to fight for promotion. Plus, should be get promoted, we can invest another £100m + the remaining money from the Grealish/McGinn/Mings/Luiz sales!

Think Heaton would be looking for a move to a Prem team (whether he’d get one if still injured isn’t certain of course) but actually agreed I think that we would keep most of the rest and the team would walk the Championship. Guess that’s why I’m less worried about relegation than when we last went down and I was a mess. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Absolutely no way that team would gain promotion. Too poor in the wide areas and that central midfield is woeful. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Absolutely no way that team would gain promotion. Too poor in the wide areas and that central midfield is woeful. 

I disagree. I think that team could gain promotion. We’d lose Grealish’s creativity but Hourihane, Samatta and the wingers could score sufficient goals to make a challenge. Plus, people forget that Jota is a creative player and is easily good enough for a team chasing promotion.

Just look at the wide options top-of-the-table West Brom have. Callum Robinson, Pereira, Matt Phillips. These are players deemed not good enough for the Premier League. How you can say that our wide options aren’t good enough is beyond me. Especially when 1/4 of those players got us promoted last season.

As for CM. I put that caveat before I listed the squad. Any team that takes out 3 centre midfield options will look weak in that area. We’d obviously bring in a couple of replacements.

7 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I disagree. I think that team could gain promotion. We’d lose Grealish’s creativity but Hourihane, Samatta and the wingers could score sufficient goals to make a challenge. Plus, people forget that Jota is a creative player and is easily good enough for a team chasing promotion.

Jota? ehw

We tried to play without Jack and McGinn against Fulham. We looked like a bang average Championship side and got beat.

I accept it wasn't a fully strength side but still it was a team with quite a few players we will have to rely on if we get relegated.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was gonna say the exact same thing.

We would need to spend quite a bit on the midfield and wide areas to get back up again. (If we lost grealish, mcginn and luiz)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We would need to spend quite a bit on the midfield and wide areas to get back up again.

And how much would we be allowed to spend of FFP? Considering we've spent 140+ million this season.

Obviously selling Jack, McGinn and Mings would make most of those money back.

This is only in a relegation scenario. I still believe we can stay up. I don't think we will, but we can.

Edited by villalad21

11 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Just look at the wide options top-of-the-table West Brom have. Callum Robinson, Pereira, Matt Phillips. These are players deemed not good enough for the Premier League. How you can say that our wide options aren’t good enough is beyond me. Especially when 1/4 of those players got us promoted last season.

As for CM. I put that caveat before I listed the squad. Any team that takes out 3 centre midfield options will look weak in that area. We’d obviously bring in a couple of replacements.

That midfield you stated isnt good enough.

Nakamba would probably be ok as the DM, but we would defo need another DM to compete with him.

lansbury couldn't even get in the team last season. (When fit)

hourihane was hit and miss and had critics last season as well, let's not forget he was so good that he was rotated constantly with Whelan .

Green was pretty useless.

El Ghazi for all his positives, also didn't exactly set the division alight, he was as he is now, very hot and cold, very erratic, 2 good games in 6 or something.

Trez would probably be similar to El ghazi.

Jota would have his uses but would also probably be similar to El Ghazi and trez.

Let's not forget we had green, hourihane, lansbury and El Ghazi last season, and when Jack was injured we literally couldn't buy a win, I dont think those players are as good as you think they are.

However, I do think the GK, defence and strikers are good enough IF we only lose grealish, mcginn and luiz.

We would need to reinvest as much of that as possible in 2/3 quality midfielders and 1/2 quality wide players imo to have a good chance of automatic promotion.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And how much would we be allowed to spend of FFP? Considering we've spent 140+ million this season.

Obviously selling Jack, McGinn and Mings would make most of those money back.

This is only in a relegation scenario. I still believe we can stay up. I don't think we will, but we can.

If we are only in the champ one season (lol I know), we have the first year and highest level of parachute payments, plus the 100m ish from the sales of grealish, mcginn and Luiz.

We might need 40m of that to balance the books? (Who knows), then we have 60m odd plus whatever else we can afford to reinvest to get back up immediately.

Yes we spent 130m or so this season, but that was the prem revenue that allowed us to do that, plus the 3 year cycle now doeent include the massive amounts we spent in our first relegation season last time, so its basically the 130m spent this season, then the previous 2 seasons where we actually spent virtually nothing.

It would be a gamble, because if we didn't get up we would of course be in a bit of trouble maybe, but if we sold the players mentioned we would almost certainly have 60m + to reinvest.

Now.....whether we reinvested that wisely and on the right players / good enough players, is another debate entirely.

12 hours ago, jim said:

I’ll give you one.

True, so we'll just win 5 in a row instead of 10. 😎

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We might need 40m of that to balance the books? (Who knows), then we have 60m odd plus whatever else we can afford to reinvest to get back up immediately.

We'll absolutely walk it if we are allowed to spend 60 mill

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We'll absolutely walk it if we are allowed to spend 60 mill

Urm.....you remember what happened in our first relegation season last time right??

We spent just short of 80m last time we go relegated (first season), and didn't get back up for 3 years.....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Depends on what we purchase.

I'd go for Dwight Gayle, Joe Lolley, Ben Gibson and Eze. Should get those for 40m or less.

Would need to fill the massive creative void left by Grealish so better to me to overload in attacking areas. Eze will have premier league interest but you never know. Add in El Ghazi/Gulibert punt from abroad.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we went down and weren't in contention for top 2 tbh. If Newcastle can comfortably win the league when they go down I don't see why that couldn't be a target for us.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd go for Dwight Gayle, Joe Lolley, Ben Gibson and Eze. Should get those for 40m or less.

Would need to fill the massive creative void left by Grealish so better to me to overload in attacking areas. Eze will have premier league interest but you never know. Add in El Ghazi/Gulibert punt from abroad.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we went down and weren't in contention for top 2 tbh. If Newcastle can comfortably win the league when they go down I don't see why that couldn't be a target for us.

We dont need Gayle, we will have wesley and samatta (and davis possibly).

Probably not lolley either, need a high class signing if we lose grealish.

Eze I would prob agree with, but not sure if we would get him.