Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Just now, Rob182 said:

As well as being an amazing player, Grealish also meets all the criteria for inflating a player's price.

- Plays in an attacking position

- English

I keep reading there is a £40m transfer clause? Any one know the truth around this?

Just now, thunderball said:

I keep reading there is a £40m transfer clause? Any one know the truth around this?

fake news. has been said by smith himself that no player has a buyout clause, whether we stay up or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Smith said in January none of the first team squad have a release clause in their contract. He could be lying of course, but if you take that on face value the talk of Jack having a clause is just typical paper rumour mill clickbaiting.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I imagine only a handful of people know the truth around this.

But, I think two things point to it being complete BS.

1) The rumours of this clause first came out in December. If it was true, then a club would almost certainly have come in for him at that price in January. 

2) Either Smith or Purslow, I can't remember which one, came out and said that none of our players have release clauses.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

1) The rumours of this clause first came out in December. If it was true, then a club would almost certainly have come in for him at that price in January. 

2) Either Smith or Purslow, I can't remember which one, came out and said that none of our players have release clauses.

this 100% for me...there could always be smoke and mirrors, but if jack's was only 40m then i firmly believe he wouldn't be a villa player right now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Smith said in January none of the first team squad have a release clause in their contract. He could be lying of course, but if you take that on face value the talk of Jack having a clause is just typical paper rumour mill clickbaiting.

This.

In my opinion, Man Utd have been pushing stories into the press since the start of the season, in an attempt to unsettle Grealish and McGinn and either get them for a cut-price, or to put themselves at the front of the queue by showing how long Grealish has been a top target for them.

Every week there's an article in the news or on the radio about how Grealish/ McGinn/ Mings would be ideal for Man Utd.

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Would be surprised given it's confirmed they'll all have a drop in wages if we go down. Would've thought a few of last summer's intake would've put in buy out clauses as insurance for that.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you say so

Villatalk has been selling him the whole year. I mean, have some ambitions. Villa will stay up, and next year Villa will be challenging for top 4. Why would he leave?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, momo said:

Villatalk has been selling him the whole year. I mean, have some ambitions. Villa will stay up, and next year Villa will be challenging for top 4. Why would he leave?

I'm sure if Villa stay up and Jack can be convinced we'll be challenging the top 4 then we have a good chance of keeping him.

Unfortunately on planet earth, I imagine we'll either be relegated, or looking at a midtable finish next season. Either scenario likely sees Jack leave, unfortunately.

It's nothing to do with ambition or a lack of it. Accepting that Grealish leaving is a possibility has no effect on what he actually does. I hope the club fights tooth and nail to keep him, but I have literally no bearing on this. I think he'll probably leave. That doesn't mean I lack ambition.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, momo said:

Would love that to happen but given by Purslow saying we still wouldn't be able to compete with wages offered by Watford and Brighton in the summer we wouldn't be doing it on a diet of more Hauses and Jotas.

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yep Saint Maximin has actually offered less than Trezeguet in an attacking sense. He was **** dreadful vs us this season

He was the only player in that whole Newcastle side who looked anything like decent - certainly not dreadful.

Has been a real bright spark for them this season.  Not entirely sure where the "headless chicken" descriptions elsewhere have come from.  Seems to be a really lazy comparison to Adama Traore because they're both fast.

r.e: relegation, we need 6 points (at least) out of our next 5 games to stand a chance IMO.  It's a really tough run-in right throughout and we're probably strong favourites (well, after Norwich) to go down.

A result away at Leicester tonight would do wonders.

For those interested there is interesting analysis of where we are going wrong, maybe not where you might imagine:

(You will need to click into twitter to read the thread....)

Edited by thunderball

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

He was the only player in that whole Newcastle side who looked anything like decent - certainly not dreadful.

Has been a real bright spark for them this season.  Not entirely sure where the "headless chicken" descriptions elsewhere have come from.  Seems to be a really lazy comparison to Adama Traore because they're both fast.

Agreed with the first paragraph. He was the only dangerous outlet vs us at VP.

But, I can understand the comparisons. I remember saying to my old man during the game that if he had a brain he would be really dangerous. Wouldn't take much coaching to make him a very good player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Would be surprised given it's confirmed they'll all have a drop in wages if we go down. Would've thought a few of last summer's intake would've put in buy out clauses as insurance for that.

If you're right, then Smith will look like a right plonker Rodney if there are release clauses and he's point-blank announced to the fans that there aren't.

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Every time I've seen him (admittedly, only a handful of full 90 minutes, and then highlights), he's looked very 'headless' at times.

I've seen him fluff simple passes and then opt for the speed-demon route instead.

Grab the ball on the byline, do a few tricks or stepovers (to varying degrees of success), kick the ball into space, sprint onto it and then attempt a cross or shot, again, with varying degrees of success. Rinse & repeat.

That's not to say he's not a talent with potential, but more to say that bringing someone like him wouldn't have been an automatic fix to our winger dilemma, especially when you consider how we play and the fact that we'd have fewer options if we'd spent more money on someone like him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Seems to be a really lazy comparison to Adama Traore because they're both fast.

Excuse you? 

There's tons of fast players I could compare Saint-Maximin to. I compare him to Adama because he reminds me of the way he plays and the unrealised potential he has. Adama is a player I've obviously seen play a lot.

Edit: I can compare him to Daniel James as well if you like? Their style of play isn't that similar but he's fast so I guess that's all I go by.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1