Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Wow, I'm kinda surprised by that. Can you not all sit 2 metres apart, with no one opposite then? 

At our office, if they said you must wear a mask on the way in, out, and any time you leave your desk I could understand - but at the desk all day, man, I wouldn't enjoy that. 

Yeah you can. There’s plenty of room and hardly anyone in the office. 

But there’s also a factory onsite where it may be harder so I think it’s a case of one rule for everyone

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

My main issue with masks, I have to wear them for a 12 hour shift at work. We are given the disposable ones. But they bloody hurt my ears. We've requested the clips at the back of the head but nothing yet. Obviously, steaming up glasses is a big issue too! But, needs must and that's definitely the case here.

I had the same problem - get a thin bit of fabric about five or six inches long, and sow two buttons at either end so you can get the loop round each one. 

Edited by Milfner
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah i don't get it either. Wore one for 4 months and never had an issue and have seen people in US and UK complaining about breathing. Not aimed at VLV but it does seem a bit drama queen'y to me...

I wasn’t complaining about having to wear a mask. I fully understand and respect the reason for it. I was just speaking about my own experience. Wasn’t even moaning about it.

Personally still think it’s a fitness issue. Plus mask thickness.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

My issue with masks is they are a distraction from the more effective methods like social distancing. Masks don’t suddenly allow you to carry on as normal - they offer a (very thin) extra layer of protection that depends greatly on what else you’re doing to look after yourself.

The real focus surely needs to be on inherently safe behaviours - home working, outdoor exercise, etc - rather than trying to make riskier activities appear safe with the addition of a piece of cloth.

Norway, for example, has never bothered with face masks. They have quite a rural, outdoorsy culture, good medical facilities, strong society. They’ve had no problem with coronavirus. According to a friend who lives there (so must be true!) they view face masks as a bit of a joke.

Spain has gone big on face masks (seen it first hand), but their culture facilitates disease transmission - people move from bar to bar on a night out with groups mingling, sharing food, eating with their hands... and it’s normal to stand very close to people when you talk. Yes the weather means you can do all of this outdoors, but there are still indoor bars, clubs, restaurants... people using toilets. The face masks seem to be just there to give an illusion of safety, but are often worn under the chin so you can drink or smoke or whatever. Compliance is good in shops during the day, though - near enough 100% following the rules.

Based on the available evidence and from talking to people in different countries - and especially the Spain experience - I just don’t understand why people are so obsessed with masks as a key part of the solution. They might work in a hospital setting or in a contrived lab experiment, but in wider society they become a public health pantomime.

The people who’ve really been actively promoting masks on social media - Nassim Taleb, Tomás Pueyo, etc - are self-promoting hucksters who have strayed miles out of their lane. For them it’s just about the clout. Say something counterintuitive, justify it with some slightly irrelevant graphs that demolish a straw man, prove to your acolytes that you know more than the public health establishment.

Somehow this then entered the mainstream in public health, despite the WHO and many other public health authorities saying for ages that they didn’t see masks as a key factor.

I know there has been some emerging evidence on masks suggesting they may help more than previously realised. But it’s not a massive effect, and I guarantee if you look at any of this research, they aren’t replicating the way masks are actually being worn by most people.

So I don’t get why it’s become such a totemic issue, while stuff like hand washing and social distancing are discussed much more calmly on both sides? Is it because masks have a signalling effect? Your choice of mask (or no mask at all) says something about who you are, very visibly, to other people.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

My issue with masks is they are a distraction from the more effective methods like social distancing. Masks don’t suddenly allow you to carry on as normal - they offer a (very thin) extra layer of protection that depends greatly on what else you’re doing to look after yourself.

The real focus surely needs to be on inherently safe behaviours - home working, outdoor exercise, etc - rather than trying to make riskier activities appear safe with the addition of a piece of cloth.

Norway, for example, has never bothered with face masks. They have quite a rural, outdoorsy culture, good medical facilities, strong society. They’ve had no problem with coronavirus. According to a friend who lives there (so must be true!) they view face masks as a bit of a joke.

Spain has gone big on face masks (seen it first hand), but their culture facilitates disease transmission - people move from bar to bar on a night out with groups mingling, sharing food, eating with their hands... and it’s normal to stand very close to people when you talk. Yes the weather means you can do all of this outdoors, but there are still indoor bars, clubs, restaurants... people using toilets. The face masks seem to be just there to give an illusion of safety, but are often worn under the chin so you can drink or smoke or whatever. Compliance is good in shops during the day, though - near enough 100% following the rules.

Based on the available evidence and from talking to people in different countries - and especially the Spain experience - I just don’t understand why people are so obsessed with masks as a key part of the solution. They might work in a hospital setting or in a contrived lab experiment, but in wider society they become a public health pantomime.

The people who’ve really been actively promoting masks on social media - Nassim Taleb, Tomás Pueyo, etc - are self-promoting hucksters who have strayed miles out of their lane. For them it’s just about the clout. Say something counterintuitive, justify it with some slightly irrelevant graphs that demolish a straw man, prove to your acolytes that you know more than the public health establishment.

Somehow this then entered the mainstream in public health, despite the WHO and many other public health authorities saying for ages that they didn’t see masks as a key factor.

I know there has been some emerging evidence on masks suggesting they may help more than previously realised. But it’s not a massive effect, and I guarantee if you look at any of this research, they aren’t replicating the way masks are actually being worn by most people.

So I don’t get why it’s become such a totemic issue, while stuff like hand washing and social distancing are discussed much more calmly on both sides? Is it because masks have a signalling effect? Your choice of mask (or no mask at all) says something about who you are, very visibly, to other people.

One of a number of measures. Adopt them all and it reduces the chances of spread. Washing hands, don’t touch your face, mask, 1-2 metres apart. All help reduce the risk and harming others and yourself. Its pretty clear. 

• Like 3

My own experience, anecdotal as it is, seems to very much be that the general public think that masks are a substitute for absolutely everything else. Supermarkets are pretty much back to normal around here. There are some signs up, but they're not limiting occupancy as far as I can tell, and people have gone right back to squeezing past each other and taking their whole family. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The family shopping trip is very much back with a vengeance.

Noticed that myself, too.

i suppose if you can’t go to The Admiral Nelson in Benidorm, eating the pastries as 8 of you waddle around Lidl will just have to do.

59 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My own experience, anecdotal as it is, seems to very much be that the general public think that masks are a substitute for absolutely everything else. Supermarkets are pretty much back to normal around here. There are some signs up, but they're not limiting occupancy as far as I can tell, and people have gone right back to squeezing past each other and taking their whole family. 

That is essentially the Swedish justification for not recommending them. The fear that people will then drop their guard with the more effective measures.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to go all spelling nazi, but I keep seeing this, and it's starting to bug me: 

'Breath' is a noun. The verb is BREATHE. 

The breadthe of your grammer  knowlidge is oarsome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But there’s also a factory onsite where it may be harder so I think it’s a case of one rule for everyone

Ours is different rules for the factory part - masks & virus PPE if less than 2 metres, no masks if 2 metres is possible. It seems mad to impose the stringent measures on everyone.

In the office early tomorrow to rearrange the desks.

I put a desk directly in front of mine, to stop the people that forget protocol and walk right up to the desk. But the boss has taken to sitting at the desk I was using as a spacer.

It’s always the unforeseen consequences that get you. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The family shopping trip is very much back with a vengeance.

Noticed that myself, too.

i suppose if you can’t go to The Admiral Nelson in Benidorm, eating the pastries as 8 of you waddle around Lidl will just have to do.

No Sticky Vicky in the supermarkets though :( 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Went to Somerset in a very small place called Nether Stowy, we were miles away in a lodge thing owned by farmers and went to Helwell Bay, blue anchor and Kilve beaches (fossil hunting), all pretty quiet and people behaving themselves.  Supermarkets around me are doing ok, saw pictures a family friend who lives in st Ives uploaded, you could barely squeeze a pin between the people around there, not many masks... Asking for trouble.

How the hell does someone end up in Nether Stowey on a break?! That's about 10 minutes from where I grew up and I've avoided returning as much as possible over the last 10 years.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

How the hell does someone end up in Nether Stowey on a break?! That's about 10 minutes from where I grew up and I've avoided returning as much as possible over the last 10 years.

It was a farm just outside called Plainsfield.  Nice part of the world.  It's a large Scandinavian style pine lodge, beautiful.  Nice grounds around it so I didn't have to worry about the kids killing themselves too easily, plus.. Dino fossil hunting!! 

• Like 1

Â