Generic Virus Thread

villakram

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn’t say that. I said I can’t notice it. 

The disposable surgical masks,  You forget you’re wearing them. 

Like I said the thicker reusable ones can feel a bit restrictive when it’s hot but nothing major. I still wear one for 8 hours at least in the office with no issue. 

Ive never felt like I am, or seen anyone else, “really struggling to breathe” wearing a mask. Hence my surprise at Vive’s post

You must be really good then as i think its impossible not to notice. You cant take a deep breath like you  normally would and it makes y ou feel hot. 

I wouldnt say its struggling to breath but its very noticeable having it on.

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It steams my glasses up, but thats it really. 

Do you do the soap trick? That buys you a few hours.

Just before you’re going out, a blob of soap or washing up liquid on the lenses then wash it off and give it a gentle dry so there is still a film of fairy liquid or whatever. For me, that buys me 2 or 3 hours before steaming is an issue.

• Like 1

I have no problem with breathing while wearing a mask, doesn't bother me at all. 

In other news, I was talking to the neighbour, who's an A&E doctor, and she said it was lovely and quiet during lockdown. Now that the pubs have reopened, Friday and Saturday nights are carnage again. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I have no problem with breathing while wearing a mask, doesn't bother me at all. 

In other news, I was talking to the neighbour, who's an A&E doctor, and she said it was lovely and quiet during lockdown. Now that the pubs have reopened, Friday and Saturday nights are carnage again. 

The irony. Alcohol will overwhelm the NHS more than coronavirus ever will. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn’t say that. I said I can’t notice it. 

The disposable surgical masks,  You forget you’re wearing them. 

Like I said the thicker reusable ones can feel a bit restrictive when it’s hot but nothing major. I still wear one for 8 hours at least in the office with no issue. 

Ive never felt like I am, or seen anyone else, “really struggling to breathe” wearing a mask. Hence my surprise at Vive’s post

I think it’s more an indication of how out of shape I am more than anything else. I need to do something about it.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Exactly the same as me. Wore a disposable one in the supermarket and couldn't wait to rip it off as soon as I got outside. I was pouring with sweat wearing it. Not helped by being a scorching hot day either no doubt.

You don’t have to wear them in supermarkets

You can go in without a mask to Co-op, Sainsbury’s and Tesco 

I assume the policy is the same at other supermarkets too

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

You don’t have to wear them in supermarkets

You can go in without a mask to Co-op, Sainsbury’s and Tesco 

I assume the policy is the same at other supermarkets too

It is a legal requirement to wear them in supermarkets (exemptions applying, obvs).

It may not be the policy of the supermarket to require someone to wear them. This doesn't have any impact on what the law says, however.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re away at a holiday park in Somerset. The park itself is great, well below capacity, people being sensible and it’s enjoyable. We’ve eaten a couple of times in the restaurant which was only about 25% occupied. Can grab a table outside, then order and pay for drinks on the app and get them delivered, lovely.

We stopped off at Weston on the way through 😳 The place was absolutely RAMMED with inconsiderate arseholes. We couldn’t get out again fast enough.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you got Pre existing health issues? Or were you wearing some sort of very thick face covering?

i have to wear a mask, as does everyone else there, all day if I’m in the office. Can’t say I notice much difference, if any, in breathing. 

Yeah i don't get it either. Wore one for 4 months and never had an issue and have seen people in US and UK complaining about breathing. Not aimed at VLV but it does seem a bit drama queen'y to me...

• Like 2

Are many other people wearing masks in offices? I've been in work for the entirety of lockdown and haven't worn a mask at all. We have been able to space out desks with the amount of people who aren't in, though.

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Are many other people wearing masks in offices? I've been in work for the entirety of lockdown and haven't worn a mask at all. We have been able to space out desks with the amount of people who aren't in, though.

My place insists everyone on site wears masks at all time unless you’re in a break area in which case you have to be strictly socially distant

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You must be really good then as i think its impossible not to notice. You cant take a deep breath like you  normally would and it makes y ou feel hot. 

I wouldnt say its struggling to breath but its very noticeable having it on.

Plenty of people here are agreeing me and like I said I work with dozens of people who have to wear masks for 8 hours a day and nobody I’ve spoken to complains about it being noticeably hard to breath. 

Again I don’t know if you’re wearing a particularly thick mask. There’s absolutely no issue taking a deep breath with a normal surgical facemask on

2 hours ago, Genie said:

We’re away at a holiday park in Somerset. The park itself is great, well below capacity, people being sensible and it’s enjoyable. We’ve eaten a couple of times in the restaurant which was only about 25% occupied. Can grab a table outside, then order and pay for drinks on the app and get them delivered, lovely.

We stopped off at Weston on the way through 😳 The place was absolutely RAMMED with inconsiderate arseholes. We couldn’t get out again fast enough.

I drove through Skegness today. I emphasise I drove through it! Not to it. 

It was absolutely heaving. Masks everywhere but not much social distancing

• Like 1

Went to Somerset in a very small place called Nether Stowy, we were miles away in a lodge thing owned by farmers and went to Helwell Bay, blue anchor and Kilve beaches (fossil hunting), all pretty quiet and people behaving themselves.  Supermarkets around me are doing ok, saw pictures a family friend who lives in st Ives uploaded, you could barely squeeze a pin between the people around there, not many masks... Asking for trouble.

Went to Newquay in Wales too, most people behaving themselves.  Aberystwyth was pretty good too.

Not a bad couple of weeks holidaying to be honest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Plenty of people here are agreeing me and like I said I work with dozens of people who have to wear masks for 8 hours a day and nobody I’ve spoken to complains about it being noticeably hard to breath. 

Again I don’t know if you’re wearing a particularly thick mask. There’s absolutely no issue taking a deep breath with a normal surgical facemask on

And plenty are disagreeing with you as well. Dont think either party is wrong it all comes down to the individual.

Its not really a health issue i dont think unless your breathless. The heat certainly isnt helping either.

I dont have any breathing problems that i am aware of but if i have the mask on for too long and take deep breaths it makes me start coughing and im a non smoker.

I dont actually think their is enough evidence to suggest wearing masks helps the individuals. It isnt hygienic wearing this for many hours each day.

I hope everyone is reguarly washing their masks because if your not then it might be counter productive. 

10 hours ago, hogso said:

This is how our place is too.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My place insists everyone on site wears masks at all time unless you’re in a break area in which case you have to be strictly socially distant

Wow, I'm kinda surprised by that. Can you not all sit 2 metres apart, with no one opposite then? 

At our office, if they said you must wear a mask on the way in, out, and any time you leave your desk I could understand - but at the desk all day, man, I wouldn't enjoy that. 

My main issue with masks, I have to wear them for a 12 hour shift at work. We are given the disposable ones. But they bloody hurt my ears. We've requested the clips at the back of the head but nothing yet. Obviously, steaming up glasses is a big issue too! But, needs must and that's definitely the case here.

Â