Generic Virus Thread

villakram

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Got it? 'No ifs, no buts'. If it proves to be really dangerous? Too bad. If kids are teachers are falling sick and dying? Suck it up. If there's an outbreak in your school? Keep it open mister, don't even think about closing.

What I find strange is a labour lwader writing a column  in one of the countries most right wing papers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Got it? 'No ifs, no buts'. If it proves to be really dangerous? Too bad. If kids are teachers are falling sick and dying? Suck it up. If there's an outbreak in your school? Keep it open mister, don't even think about closing.

Clearly trying to make up for looking like he was indecisive on the subject a couple of months ago, so he's going for the overly-simplistic soundbite hoping it does better in the polls. I thought he was better than that.

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Clearly trying to make up for looking like he was indecisive on the subject a couple of months ago, so he's going for the overly-simplistic soundbite hoping it does better in the polls. I thought he was better than that.

I think he is. Sometimes though you have to play to your audience to get your message across.

I think Starmer's "no ifs, no buts" is actually bang on.

If there is an uptick in cases, then there are countless other measures we could use to bring transmission down: closing pubs, bars, cafes, restaurants, keeping over 50s / 60s / 70s at home, travel restrictions, etc.

So when he says "no ifs, no buts", the way I interpret it is he's saying school closures should be right at the bottom of that list of interventions, because of the obvious harm caused to young people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

keeping over 50s / 60s / 70s at home

I'm getting really annoyed with just how easily this kind of idea is touted.

It is not the same as closing down some groups of shops or public places or imposing local restrictions or even nationwide restrictions on everyone.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

I'm getting really annoyed with just how easily this kind of idea is touted.

It is not the same as closing down some groups of shops or public places or imposing local restrictions or even nationwide restrictions on everyone.

Not advocating it btw - just an example of something that should be ahead of school closures in the pecking order.

Tick tock... 

Urgent warning as Birmingham 'on road to lockdown' if Covid cases keep rising

City 'likely to be on national watch list within days', warns public health chief 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/urgent-warning-birmingham-on-road-18780609?fbclid=IwAR1UcEUWscXkEoMwRrF3pVioeyyhjQhfjJCadQpPvJqsw3UOPj4wuSB77FE 

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Not advocating it btw - just an example of something that should be ahead of school closures in the pecking order.

Gotcha. :thumb:

As it is, I don't think that any specific group of people should be singled out to be 'kept at home', ahead of school closures or anything else.

If it's advice, like the shielding, then that's a slightly different matter.

• Like 1

meanwhile in Wuhan

_113981003_gettyimages-1228074922.jpg

_113981005_gettyimages-1228075071.jpg

Thousands of people packed shoulder-to-shoulder with no face masks in sight, frolicking on rubber floats and cheering along to a music festival.

It's not a very 2020 image, but it was the scene this weekend in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where Covid-19 first emerged late last year.

Pictures of partygoers at the Wuhan Maya Beach Water Park - looking very much removed from the outbreak that the rest of the world continues to battle - have now gone, well, viral.

It's worlds apart from the images that came out of Wuhan when it had the world's first Covid-19 lockdown in January - a ghost town devoid of residents and vehicles.

The lockdown was lifted in April and there have been no domestically transmitted cases in Wuhan or Hubei province since mid-May.

bbc

• Like 1

Quick question.  My son flew back from Portugal today.  Handed in all the relevant documents on arrival.  Wasn't advised if he had to self isolate.  I told him to go to an info desk and ask.  They said he didn't have to isolate.   Government website says he does - which advice is correct?

• Confused 1

Not aimed at you @dubbs but I don’t understand the mentality of interpreting the letter of the law in this situation. If you’ve just returned from an overseas location that has the virus, why wouldn’t you just self-isolate to be on the safe side? 
Seeing people on the news scramble to get home before a deadline so they don’t have to self-isolate seems perverse to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, choffer said:

Not aimed at you @dubbs but I don’t understand the mentality of interpreting the letter of the law in this situation. If you’ve just returned from an overseas location that has the virus, why wouldn’t you just self-isolate to be on the safe side? 
Seeing people on the news scramble to get home before a deadline so they don’t have to self-isolate seems perverse to me. 

I whole heartedly agree.  If the country isn't on the exempt list then you should self isolate - end of!

With regards to people scrambling to get home it confuses me how someone arriving from a country which is being taken off the list at 4am is fine, but if you arrive at 4.01am you have to isolate.  I know there has to be rules but sometimes you have to wonder if the people making them actually read and agree with whats being said...

• Like 1

Â