Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am almost certain the US is still closed to the UK. 

Yes, looks like you’re right

Travel to USA is subject to entry restrictions

British nationals cannot enter the USA if they have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil or China within the previous 14 days

If you are eligible to enter the USA you must be prepared to self-isolate for up to 14 days after arrival

See Entry requirements for more information before you plan to travel.

Return travel to the UK is subject to self-isolation requirements

If you’re returning to the UK, you will need to:

provide your journey and contact details

self-isolate for 14 days

Check the guidance on entering or returning to the UK.

Gov website

• Thanks 1

Coronavirus 90-minute tests to be provided in care homes and hospitals

Experts however have doubts about unproven swab tests for the diagnosis of flu and Covid-19

Two new tests for Covid-19 that are said to deliver results within 90 minutes are to be introduced across NHS hospitals and care homes, to speed up diagnosis ahead of winter and differentiate coronavirus infection from flu, the government says.

But some experts were surprised by the government’s decision, saying the particular tests were not well-known. No data had been published concerning their evaluation. The government had made mistakes in buying tests that turned out to be sub-standard in the past, they said.

“Repeatedly through the pandemic the government has raced ahead purchasing tests on the basis of manufacturer’s claims, and have found later when independent studies are done that the tests do not have adequate performance for use in the NHS,” said Professor Jon Deeks from Birmingham University, part of a team who have been evaluating tests of this sort.

“We would hope that the government would wait for proper evaluations, and consider the scientific evidence for all available tests before signing further contracts. The mistakes made in test purchasing have wasted millions of pounds as well as put lives at risk.”

Prof Deeks said he and colleagues had not come across either of the new tests. “We cannot emphasise how important it is to see independent evaluations of all tests before they are implemented. Both of these technologies are new, and it is unclear what evaluations have been done. We cannot find any independent studies or even claims about their performance on the company websites. They are not listed on the main international lists of available and approved tests.”

Deenan Pillay, professor of virology at UCL, also said he worried that the government was purchasing tests that were yet to be fully evaluated, particularly outside of the usual healthcare settings.

“They may be very good, and if so that’s great (although the data must be made available for scrutiny, and to avoid any suspicion of conflicts of interests),” he said.

...more

Let's hope they do work and work well.

It's a concern, though, as it's not like the government doesn't have a record of spaffing money up the wall on some dodgy rubbish over the past few months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Coronavirus 90-minute tests to be provided in care homes and hospitals

Experts however have doubts about unproven swab tests for the diagnosis of flu and Covid-19

Let's hope they do work and work well.

It's a concern, though, as it's not like the government doesn't have a record of spaffing money up the wall on some dodgy rubbish over the past few months.

Agreed. Lets hope they have invested the money in some reliable tests this bloody time. If this works this is a game changer

There are outbreaks on cruise ships in the news today. I have to admit my first thought was who the hell is going on a cruise ship these days? They became plague ships, unable to find a port that would accept them just a couple of months ago. Confined indoor spaces, loads of shared facilities, they are the perfect place for Covid19 to spread.

I just don't understand the thinking, but i suppose tomorrow will bring a new fashion of licking hand rails on the tube and loads of people will be cool with it. Common sense is over rated.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Straggler said:

There are outbreaks on cruise ships in the news today. I have to admit my first thought was who the hell is going on a cruise ship these days? They became plague ships, unable to find a port that would accept them just a couple of months ago. Confined indoor spaces, loads of shared facilities, they are the perfect place for Covid19 to spread.

I just don't understand the thinking, but i suppose tomorrow will bring a new fashion of licking hand rails on the tube and loads of people will be cool with it. Common sense is over rated.

We have to lick the hand rails in retaliation to them telling us not to do it. We are free and should be treated as such. It’s about time these people learned we won’t be bullied into conforming just so the likes of Zuckerberg, Gates and Trump get richer. 

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

I have a family member that works in sales for a cruise company and she said there are a lot of bookings for next year. People are optimistic.

I think for a lot of people the effect of stories about sickness on cruise ships just reminds them that at some point they had talked about or considered going on a cruise. People are often quick to say and think 'well it'll never happen to me' and it seems to me that lots want to try things that seem fun but also contain a frisson of danger (to be fair, I have been hoping to walk the Broomway for a few years, so I can talk). Maybe there's a very long German word for this dynamic.

Cruises started up again in Norway. One cruise in and there was a massive outbreak of Corona. By the time the first person was tested positive, the remaining passengers had travelled home. Last I read about 8% of the cruise had tested positive. A stupid amount of the crew are sick. I don't actually know the percentage, but I suspect it's very very high. 

Now they're struggling to track the people, cause the cruise took place mid to late July and just a few days ago people got the notice. Still people that they haven't gotten in contact with. Mean while people have been partying, going to gyms, shops, airports. Top notch. 

Seems it's actually on the ships wiki page already. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Roald_Amundsen

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think for a lot of people the effect of stories about sickness on cruise ships just reminds them that at some point they had talked about or considered going on a cruise. People are often quick to say and think 'well it'll never happen to me' and it seems to me that lots want to try things that seem fun but also contain a frisson of danger (to be fair, I have been hoping to walk the Broomway for a few years, so I can talk). Maybe there's a very long German word for this dynamic.

Scheißefürdenverstand

29 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was not in the least bit surprised to see the KFC down the road have a queue out of the door, people at every table, and an empty drive through due to the new eating out promotion. Great stuff, discourage people from the relative safety of take-out food, and in to small crowded indoor restaurants instead. Never mind it being days after launching an anti-obesity initiative.

This government are **** morons. 

Exactly!

The idea of the promotion was to get money into the businesses, if places like KFC and McDonalds etc have a drive through then they should be able to offer the discount there as it’s win-win. Money for the business, deal for the customer which they eat in the relative safety of their home or car.

Forcing people into a restaurant when they could eat outside of it is idiotic.

• Like 1

Â