both

I lick windows and believe newspapers

I have ticked a box but have not read the question

don’t know

I hate the don't know option on a poll. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53656852

Coronavirus: Is the UK in a better position than we think?

The surveillance programme - run by the Office for National Statistics - did suggest they were rising.

But there have to be heavy caveats around these findings - they are based on just 24 positive cases among nearly 30,000 people over the course of two weeks. Drawing conclusions from such smaller numbers is fraught with difficulties.

The other key source of data - the cases found by testing - shows numbers have started going up. They are now more than 40% higher than they were in the second week of July on a rolling-seven day average.

Chart

But that masks the fact the number of tests being carried out is increasing and being targeted at areas where infection rates are highest.

If you test more, you are likely to find more.

So if you look at the percentage of tests that are positive, the rise is marginal once you iron out the daily fluctuations.

Chart

This is a point made by Prof Carl Heneghan, who heads the centre for evidence-based medicine at Oxford University.

He says it is essential to adjust for tests being done and is concerned about what he calls "poor interpretation" of data.

Covid cases, he says, simply aren't rising in any meaningful sense.

And even if you just look at the raw number of positive tests, it is worth remembering that the figures seen are way way below what was happening during the peak when an estimated 100,000 infections a day were being seen.

Finally the BBC picking up on this.

Yes there is loads of misinformation being pumped out by the "just the flu" brigade, but there has also been an apparent obsession among TV journalists to paint everything as a neverending Covid disaster train. Cases are now very low. Barely anyone is in hospital with Covid-19 in the UK (a few hundred people). Doom mongers have been saying "jUsT wAiT tWo wEeKs aNd yOu'Ll sEe!" for about 3 months now.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2020 at 13:56, wazzap24 said:

I’m deliberately going out for something to eat on the other days, I’d rather pay double the price to sit in relative comfort than have to deal with a load of divs desperate to save a tenner on a meal out. 

Maybe you're going to the wrong places. I've not encountered any of the problems you seem to have in the small independent places I've used. But then you will go to KFC 😂

On 04/07/2020 at 16:49, welnik said:

Get yourself back down to Asda Minworth (I know it's a long way). As you walk into the shop, they are right there in a big box! 

My Mum brought us an Atari 2600 form there when it was Carffour when she won £1000 on the Villa lotto in 1980.  A lot of money back then

• Like 2

On 05/08/2020 at 13:56, wazzap24 said:

I’m deliberately going out for something to eat on the other days, I’d rather pay double the price to sit in relative comfort than have to deal with a load of divs desperate to save a tenner on a meal out. 

d115cc4ac0d7d991-.gif

• Haha 1

The weekly totals of deaths here through July were around 2, 3 or 4 a week. Most days were zeros.

First week of August: 18 deaths

We had had a plan to start easing people back towards the office on a voluntary basis, in that some people clearly aren’t enjoying work from home. I think that’s just got kicked in to September. Except of course, in September, their kids will be mixing with other kids, and then they’ll be coming in to the office...

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Today’s the first time I went to major stores so wore a Face mask. F**k me I must be out of shape as really struggled to breath. Couldn’t get back outside quick enough. 

Have you got Pre existing health issues? Or were you wearing some sort of very thick face covering?

i have to wear a mask, as does everyone else there, all day if I’m in the office. Can’t say I notice much difference, if any, in breathing. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you got Pre existing health issues? Or were you wearing some sort of very thick face covering?

i have to wear a mask, as does everyone else there, all day if I’m in the office. Can’t say I notice much difference, if any, in breathing. 

I haven’t got any pre existing health issues that I’m aware of. The mask was a standard face mask from Tesco, come to think of it, maybe it was a little too thick and I need to try something lighter. 

Suprised people are back in the office.

I’ve got a feeling my place is wfh for the foreseeable now. Productivity not impacted and sickness at an all time low. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I haven’t got any pre existing health issues that I’m aware of. The mask was a standard face mask from Tesco, come to think of it, maybe it was a little too thick and I need to try something lighter. 

Suprised people are back in the office.

I’ve got a feeling my place is wfh for the foreseeable now. Productivity not impacted and sickness at an all time low. 

Wasn’t a dig by the way. Genuinely interested. 

To be fair it is VERY hot today which probably doesn’t help. 

Ive got two types of face masks. Disposable single use ones. The standard surgical type. 
And a reusable cloth one with filters. 

The cloth one I do notice it being a bit restrictive in terms of breathing, especially when it’s hot. But nothing ridiculous. I still wear it for 8 hours at the office. 

Surgical one can’t say I notice a difference with breathing at all. 

maybe try a lighter surgical one if yours is too uncomfortable 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn’t a dig by the way. Genuinely interested. 

To be fair it is VERY hot today which probably doesn’t help. 

Ive got two types of face masks. Disposable single use ones. The standard surgical type. 
And a reusable cloth one with filters. 

The cloth one I do notice it being a bit restrictive in terms of breathing, especially when it’s hot. But nothing ridiculous. I still wear it for 8 hours at the office. 

Surgical one can’t say I notice a difference with breathing at all. 

maybe try a lighter surgical one if yours is too uncomfortable 

Yeah will have to get some surgical ones I think. 

Sounds like wearing a face mask will be the new norm so time to get used to it.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Today’s the first time I went to major stores so wore a Face mask. F**k me I must be out of shape as really struggled to breath. Couldn’t get back outside quick enough. 

Exactly the same as me. Wore a disposable one in the supermarket and couldn't wait to rip it off as soon as I got outside. I was pouring with sweat wearing it. Not helped by being a scorching hot day either no doubt.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Something covering your airways doesn’t affect your breathing in any way shape or form?

Come off it man.

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Something covering your airways doesn’t affect your breathing in any way shape or form?

Come off it man.

I didn’t say that. I said I can’t notice it. 

The disposable surgical masks,  You forget you’re wearing them. 

Like I said the thicker reusable ones can feel a bit restrictive when it’s hot but nothing major. I still wear one for 8 hours at least in the office with no issue. 

Ive never felt like I am, or seen anyone else, “really struggling to breathe” wearing a mask. Hence my surprise at Vive’s post

Â