Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

How are the police posing a major problem?

Have I missed the public announcement that we are now gradually returning to normal?

We are in a three week lockdown and people are breaking the rules. I have absolutely no problem with the police writing these people up.

The problem is that a piece of legislation has been rushed through without much, if any scrutiny, the government are advising restrictions that are not enshrined in law, and the gestapo friendly neighbourhood bobbies are attempting to enforce things that they've decided are offences. They're positioning themselves as the people that get to decide what a reasonable excuse is to leave your home, above and beyond what the law says.

It's not even down to individual officers lacking discretion, it's higher ups in the forces saying things like "you can only exercise for an hour a day". The police should not be in a position where they get to define what an offence is, yet that's currently just being accepted. A pandemic is an authoritarian's wet dream.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Have I missed the public announcement that we are now gradually returning to normal?

We are in a three week lockdown and people are breaking the rules. I have absolutely no problem with the police writing these people up.

Agreed. There is an element of society who think they are incredibly smart and rebellious by breaking stay at home rules and not getting caught. Like they've beat the system or something. Missing the point entirely and it's pissing me off. 

I reckon the police need to be doing what they are doing until people get the message

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

No, we are not returning to normal now. However, we will be at some point. Policymakers have to look into the future, and cannot only focus on the immediate. Whether it is 3 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, or 6 months, we will sooner or later have to disengage from extreme social distancing. Most suggestions have been that this will be done gradually, in slow stages, as gradually more and more people return to work, shops reopen and so on. However, if the police are setting up checkpoints and exceeding their powers, it will be very difficult for life to return to normal. You say 'people are breaking the rules', but in the three examples given in the tweet, one is a borderline case ('out for a drive due to boredom' - is that their assessment or the driver's?) and one is not in any way forbidden by the rules ('multiple people from the same household going to the shops for non-essential items').

• Like 2

The boy Kinnock drove 150 miles to get unspecified essential items to the old man, by coincidence, on his birthday.

We all ok to all be doing that? 

I find it spooky that the police are looking at and responding to tweets and publicly shaming people, there’s a massive overstep there in my opinion. Asking him not to do that trip again, I’ve got no issue with that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

For such heinous things as going out for a drive (where, I would assume, the only people that person came into contact with will have been the police) and going to the shops?

Sorry but not for me, I don't see any situation in which either of those things can become a criminal act.

Leicestershire and Rutland NHS:

As of 5pm on 29 March 2020, 1,228 patients in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died.

141 cases of Covid 19 has tested positive in Leicestershire with the latest area being effected being Highfields. This is now a HIGH risk area. 

Local police authorities/army officials will be in situ to isolate this area. 

Any member of the public not following government guideline will be arrested.

Meanwhile here in Leicester, the army are being called in because some of those of a specific religious belief refuse to self isolate and still congregate in large numbers in religious buildings. 

I live near one and it's business as usual. 

Genuinely can see riots here in the near future. 

Edited by pas5898
I have not received these messages but have been sent to family who live in thst specific area.

Just sat here trying to guess what's on the Police-Approved Essential Items List for when I go shopping on Wednesday. So far my guesses are:

• sliced white bread
  • bacon and gammon
  • whole milk

Help me write my shopping list, guys.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just sat here trying to guess what's on the Police-Approved Essential Items List for when I go shopping on Wednesday. So far my guesses are:

• sliced white bread
  • bacon and gammon
  • whole milk

Help me write my shopping list, guys.

The Sun 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Dr John 'off the leash' a bit with George Galloway discussing some of what we have been discussing here...

Anyone appearing on RT, however well intentioned, is letting the side down. 

Â