Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Thatcher is trying to get out from under the dancefloor to lynch Johnson. Boris just said that there was such a thing as society. He'll have gone full on Corbyn by the end of his solitary confinement

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thatcher is trying to get out from under the dancefloor to lynch Johnson. Boris just said that there was such a thing as society. He'll have gone full on Corbyn by the end of his solitary confinement

Just wait until he offers free broadband for all 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

this seems to be doing the rounds. Think the no big jump in death rates thing is pretty obvious given that there have only been 1200 or so deaths  associated with this in a month or more, a good chunk of which may well have died anyway given the ages/existing health conditions.

In other news Kate Mcann is trending on twitter after telling people to stay indoors to protect our weaker ones. As you can imagine the reactions to that are rather amusing if a little on the dark side.

v1m3Yzr.jpg

I checked the sources directly at Gov.uk. They're correct.

So can someone please explain this please?! This is before the lockdown too. I don't mind the lockdown at all, it's not that much different from my normal life! What is bugging me is I don't understand what I'm missing, can someone please explain it to me. Surely these figures should have been particularly bad as there's no impact from the lockdown in this data.

I'm not being obnoxious, I just don't understand and I want to. Everywhere, and everyone, seems to be super panicking and I can't really see the reason if I'm honest. If you question the data you get attacked as being unfeeling or uneducated (which I'm half expecting to be on here!) but I'm genuinely asking out of confusion. I'm not going around flouting lockdown or licking door handles or anything but I'm struggling to understand.

There are always odd stories of sudden deaths from seemingly innocuous illnesses. People die every year from flu, leg breaks or even playing football that seemed to have no underlying issues. These are being highlighted as another sign of the incoming apocalypse.

Yes, I recognise every number is a person. No, I'm not putting economy ahead of lives (I marginally prefer lockdown life personally!) I just genuinely don't understand. What am I missing?

14 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

So can someone please explain this please?! This is before the lockdown too. I don't mind the lockdown at all, it's not that much different from my normal life! What is bugging me is I don't understand what I'm missing, can someone please explain it to me. Surely these figures should have been particularly bad as there's no impact from the lockdown in this data.

I'm not being obnoxious, I just don't understand and I want to. Everywhere, and everyone, seems to be super panicking and I can't really see the reason if I'm honest. If you question the data you get attacked as being unfeeling or uneducated (which I'm half expecting to be on here!) but I'm genuinely asking out of confusion. I'm not going around flouting lockdown or licking door handles or anything but I'm struggling to understand.

There are always odd stories of sudden deaths from seemingly innocuous illnesses. People die every year from flu, leg breaks or even playing football that seemed to have no underlying issues. These are being highlighted as another sign of the incoming apocalypse.

Yes, I recognise every number is a person. No, I'm not putting economy ahead of lives (I marginally prefer lockdown life personally!) I just genuinely don't understand. What am I missing?

WEll you're missing the fact that this is all pre-lockdown as the last week displayed is 13th March, which is well before the death count was a significant amount each day. We were only on 798 cases by 13th March and the death count was just above single figures (11)

When you look at all the graphs of deaths and such, March 12th is day 0 as thats the first day where deaths reached double figures (10) Those figures are total deaths not daily, 2 people died on March 12th and only 1 on March 13, compare that to 200+ a day which is where we currently are

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

The spike in deaths is just about to occur, it won't be long before we are recording figures of 500+ dead a day from this. The lockdown is to prevent the number getting too high. Without the lockdown we would be looking at, if experts are to be believed, 10x the number of deaths. Look at Italy's figures, with lockdown in place, and now imagine how many would be dying if people were free to roam and spread it.

It isn't end of the world stuff but it would certainly have a massive impact on society if we did just put our hands up and say 'balls to the old and the vulnerable' 

• Like 2

Think this is an interesting discussion in the NYT and one that probably differ depending on which country you live in.

SAN JOSE, Calif. — When the first case of the coronavirus in Silicon Valley was discovered in late January, health officials were faced with a barrage of questions: What city did the patient live in? Who had he come in contact with? Which health clinic had he visited before he knew he was infected?

Dr. Sara Cody, the chief health officer for Santa Clara County, which has a population of two million across 15 cities, declined to give details.

“I can’t give the city,” she said, adding “we are not going to be giving out information about where he sought health care.”

But medical experts say that how much the public should know has become a critical question that will help determine how the United States confronts this outbreak and future ones

The bare-minimum approach to public disclosures in places like the San Francisco Bay Area are common across the United States. Armed with emergency powers in many areas, public health officers have vast discretion over what information they want, and do not want, to release to the public. Coronavirus cases in California are often listed by county, generally with very little additional information — such as gender, city of residence or age — provided.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/us/coronavirus-data-privacy.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Their source is a Chines site called Caixin that I know nothing about so take it for what it is.

WUHAN COVID-19 DEATH TOLL MAY BE IN TENS OF THOUSANDS, DATA ON CREMATIONS AND SHIPMENTS OF URNS SUGGEST

A stack of urns at a funeral home in Wuhan, the city's official cremation rates, and reports of an overwhelmed health care system have prompted speculation that Wuhan's real COVID-19 death toll could be in the tens of thousands—despite the Chinese government reporting 2,535 deaths from just over 50,000 coronavirus infections.

Photos began circulating across Chinese social media this week of urns arriving in the epicenter of the outbreak, after families who had lost loved ones to the novel coronavirus were instructed to pick up cremated ashes from one of the local funeral homes in the city. These images raised a fresh round of questions about the real coronavirus death toll in China, with domestic citizens and international critics using the number of urns to accuse the Chinese government of lying about their figures.

Trucks dropped off roughly 2,500 urns on Wednesday and again on Thursday local time to one of the eight local funeral homes, a driver told Chinese media outlet Caixin. The news site also published another photo showing 3,500 urns stacked inside the facility. The number of urns that arrived in that one funeral home was far greater than the city's official overall death COVID-19 toll.

Some Wuhan residents estimate that the coronavirus death toll could be 26,000, based on the amount of urns being delivered and distributed across the city. Citizens on Chinese social media have said that seven Wuhan funeral homes will likely distribute 3,500 urns per day on average from March 23 to April 4, which marks Qing Ming, the traditional tomb-sweeping festival. By that estimate, 42,000 urns would be given out in the 12-day period.

By subtracting the expected deaths of roughly 16,000 in Wuhan, based on China's annual death rate over two and a half months, they estimate that the urns show that the coronavirus outbreak could have resulted in approximately 26,000 deaths. It is currently unclear, however, how many of the urns have been used.

Math based on urns, assumptions and social media isn't anything to go by. But it offers one estimation of the city's real death figure and further lends credence to the skepticism held by many of the accuracy of the Chinese government's officially reported Wuhan COVID-19 death tally.

https://www.newsweek.com/wuhan-covid-19-death-toll-may-tens-thousands-data-cremations-shipments-urns-suggest-1494914

Pretty sure my daughter in law has it, which means that my son and the kids probably also has it. I've asked them to isolate however his job is being really idiotic about it. They're asking him to take sick days even though his job is easily done from the home office. Does anyone know what the legislation is for forcing people to take holiday/sick days during this?

I'll be adding them onto the delivery rounds, that's now 4 families I'm shopping for weekly. I think I'm lucky that I had it early.

Edited by magnkarl

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Their source is a Chines site called Caixin that I know nothing about so take it for what it is.

https://www.newsweek.com/wuhan-covid-19-death-toll-may-tens-thousands-data-cremations-shipments-urns-suggest-1494914

Everything coming out of China points in the direction of a massive cover up that screwed the world over. 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Cummings has it.

How embarrassing for the government on the eve of the letter they’re sending us all instructing everyone to avoid contact.

Do as we say, not as we do.

Given it's only a few weeks back that he was aiming for "herd immunity", I can only imagine he is delighted that he is helping the national effort.  

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I just saw a bloke in Tesco’s buying chorizo, morcilla, paella rice and a sombrero. I thought to myself... Hispanic buying.

Think that's bad? I saw a fella in Asda buying dozens of packets of Oxo cubes and boullion and just throwing them into a heap.

I asked him what he was doing and guess what he said?

He said "I'm buying dozens of packets of Oxo cubes and boullion and just throwing them into a heap"

So I left him to it

Bit of info on the friend of a friend of mine that died last week.

She was in fact 26 and not 30 and while she had no underlying sickness she was a bit overweight and suffered from a rheumatic disorder which apparently could have played a part.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Dang it! We were going to fly to Berlin via Oslo in a few days, hope it's all fixed by then...🤔

Just book via New York. Make sure it's after Easter though.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Cummings has it.

How embarrassing for the government on the eve of the letter they’re sending us all instructing everyone to avoid contact.

Do as we say, not as we do.

How is this possible? He jogged away from Boris as soon as he tested positive, surely avoiding infection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â