Generic Virus Thread

villakram

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just sat here trying to guess what's on the Police-Approved Essential Items List for when I go shopping on Wednesday. So far my guesses are:

• sliced white bread
  • bacon and gammon
  • whole milk

Help me write my shopping list, guys.

3 litres of vegetable oil for your deep fat fryer, as greasy chips are essential. 

Salt to add to everything you eat

Sugar for the 5 sugars you have in your tea

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The boy Kinnock drove 150 miles to get unspecified essential items to the old man, by coincidence, on his birthday.

We all ok to all be doing that? 

I find it spooky that the police are looking at and responding to tweets and publicly shaming people, there’s a massive overstep there in my opinion. Asking him not to do that trip again, I’ve got no issue with that.

The boy Kinnock in his tweet only specified he'd driven out to wish the old man happy birthday  .. he added the "Supplies"  line subsequently when the rozzers  challenged him

based on the available information  . i.e the tweet , i think the police reply was fair  comment 

Edited by tonyh29
spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Word is, @tonyh29 is crapping himself in case they reactivate the sleeper cells.

ha , I just binged watched Killing Eve last night , if i get reactivated to work with Villanelle ,I'll do it for free

Re the law itself , tbh Orban has been pushing for these powers for years , I'll see what MrsH makes of them as she will be better tuned to it than me 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

I imagine a few of the more reluctant democracies out there like Turkey for example will follow suit before long.

Though as a comment made by a Prof on twitter says about Hungary:

It's not really been a democracy for a while (also see Turkey).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just have a problem with the police publicly calling people out on social media in general.

If it's enough for police involvement, go to talk to him, get his side of the story, and either warn him, charge him or admit there's nothing wrong. If it's not sufficient for formal police involvement, shut up. The idea of the police posting vague unofficial warnings publicly on Twitter makes me quite uncomfortable in general.

Whilst I might have disagreed with you on some aspects of this particular discussion, I absolutely agree with this.

• Like 1

You're rolling the dice with any encounter with the police.

There's reasonable coppers and bellends.

We'll only be hearing about the particularly nice, nasty or silly incidents.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Though as a comment made by a Prof on twitter says about Hungary:

It's not really been a democracy for a while (also see Turkey).

Surely the EU will have to kick Hungary out if he pulls this off?  It's totally against their rules from what I recall.

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What if I go to my local shop buy bread, milk and 12 cans of San Miguel?

Genuine. Haven't had a good beer in weeks now.

Fine. Although I'm not sure that buying San Miguel will really help with your last line. 

There is nothing in the legislation which specifies what you should or should not buy if you visit a supermarket. If they deem if appropriate for sale, it's available for you to buy.

• Like 2

I think the death figures for the UK are going to jump tomorrow.

Not sure how the figures in England have been counted so far, but the death figures for Wales have so far only been for deaths in hospital. Anybody dying at home wasn’t counted.

They’ll be counted from tomorrow. That’ll throw the graphs out for a little while.

Just now, ml1dch said:

Fine. Although I'm not sure that buying San Miguel will really help with your last line. 

There is nothing in the legislation which specifies what you should or should not buy if you visit a supermarket. If they deem if appropriate for sale, it's available for you to buy.

That is as good as beer gets in my local unfortunately. Do I risk going to Tesco? I don't want to get lynched for my ale.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Surely the EU will have to kick Hungary out if he pulls this off?  It's totally against their rules from what I recall.

I don't think there is a mechanism for doing that.

I think they can only follow Article 7 procedures to suspend rights of a particular state (which the EPP voted to do over a year ago).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think the death figures for the UK are going to jump tomorrow.

Not sure how the figures in England have been counted so far, but the death figures for Wales have so far only been for deaths in hospital. Anybody dying at home wasn’t counted.

They’ll be counted from tomorrow. That’ll throw the graphs out for a little while.

It has been the same across the UK and only deaths in hospital have been included. As you say from tomorrow deaths in the community will be included but deaths in community will only be updated once a week.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Hadn't realised but UK death figures only include deaths in hospital. From tomorrow they will start including deaths in the community on a weekly basis.

Same in Italy. Their figures only include hospital deaths, which is scarily high anyway

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The end is nigh - Raab is due to be taking the Downing St press conference.

"I hadn't quite understood the full extent of how important microphones are at press conferences", Dominic Raab screamed into the wind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just sat here trying to guess what's on the Police-Approved Essential Items List for when I go shopping on Wednesday. So far my guesses are:

• sliced white bread
  • bacon and gammon
  • whole milk

Help me write my shopping list, guys.

Doughnuts?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â