Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Getting a lot of Drs and nurses phoning into LBC this morning regarding PPE and the lack of it. One nurse said that her and her partner who both work on front line within NHS will not be working until they get the PPE now as firstly it is obviously risking their own health and secondly if they get ill they are zero use to the NHS. There are some failing that you could perhaps make excuses for but not this one. Not having known what is coming for over 2 months.  Ministers are on TV/radio everyday spouting crap that it is on its way but clearly many in the NHS are not seeing it.

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How is this possible? He jogged away from Boris as soon as he tested positive, surely avoiding infection.

Didn't run fast enough. 

Karma's a bitch. 

• Like 2

Grauniad live business page:

Brent crude falls below $23

The selloff in the oil price is now accelerating, driving Brent crude below $23 per barrel for the first time since November 2002.

Edit:

Goldman suggest that on-shore production sites may well have to be turned off as there's limited storage available and the transportation networks needed to access that storage are not able to cope. And whilst this may lead to a further collapse in the price, eventually (when things return to some normality) it may lead to a spike in the price of oil because production won't be able to ramp back up quickly enough or, perhaps, at all (as some of that supply will be permanently lost).

Edited by snowychap

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Grauniad live business page:

Edit:

Goldman suggest that on-shore production sites may well have to be turned off as there's limited storage available and the transportation networks needed to access that storage are not able to cope. And whilst this may lead to a further collapse in the price, eventually (when things return to some normality) it may lead to a spike in the price of oil because production won't be able to ramp back up quickly enough or, perhaps, at all (as some of that supply will be permanently lost).

If you thought the Middle East was grim before.. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sne said:

Stores in L.A are starting to prep for looting and riots. Emptying their shelves of high end stuff and boarding up their windows

22b4d9b902f74f51a707ae02158bc203_md.jpga574b2706eac4867b0a1fe21c0390aeb_md.jpg

LA has seen it's fair share of riots (I strongly recommend LA92 on Netflix) so I guess this is justified. 

Another classic police tweet FAO @Davkaus:

I absolutely cannot fathom how they have concluded that 'multiple people going to the shops' is a crime, let alone how they consider themselves able to judge what 'non-essential items' are.

We're now at a point where the police are posing a major problem. How can we ever *gradually* return to normal, when it is clear that police will simply ignore any exceptions, and write up whoever they want for whatever they feel like?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another classic police tweet FAO @Davkaus:

I absolutely cannot fathom how they have concluded that 'multiple people going to the shops' is a crime, let alone how they consider themselves able to judge what 'non-essential items' are.

We're now at a point where the police are posing a major problem. How can we ever *gradually* return to normal, when it is clear that police will simply ignore any exceptions, and write up whoever they want for whatever they feel like?

My guess is the gatherings of more than 2 people. That's my guess, if it's non essential items them I think we need a list of what is essential. 

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another classic police tweet

It's interesting that the tweet says summonsed rather than issued with a fixed penalty notice.

Whilst I have had some sympathy with the message underlying some of the tweets (though not voiced clearly enough), e.g. perhaps Kinnock could have made clearer that he didn't just pop round to Neil to wish him a happy birthday and perhaps the police talking about people driving from Sheffield to the Peak District could have explained that if it's okay for a few to do it then it becomes okay for loads to do it and we end up with the scenes from the other weekend, the above just risks the whole thing collapsing.

If it becomes people being summonsed on the whims of individual officers who can't be held to account or who themselves are using the flexibility of the regulations (in their view) in order to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice then we risk being in a situation where no one takes notice of the reasonable and sensible overall advice and it becomes a free-for-all again.

Also, longer lasting effects upon trust in the police applly, too.

More sense is needed by the general public in understanding and adhering to both guidelines and regulations/legislation, and by the police in administering the guidelines, regulations and legislation.

Edit: It also risks overwhelming already-stretched court resources either in the immediate future or at some point when the restgrictions are eased/lifted.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Meanwhile:

I'd like to think there's a few people in Hungary thinking 'Guys... I dunno... I feel like this has happened before, and it don't work out well?'.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My guess is the gatherings of more than 2 people. That's my guess, if it's non essential items them I think we need a list of what is essential. 

Maybe you're right? But their tweet specifically says 'from the same household', so it's not really a 'gathering' in any normal sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I'd like to think there's a few people in Hungary thinking 'Guys... I dunno... I feel like this has happened before, and it don't work out well?'.

Even if there were, I'm not sure there are many avenues left to them to voice those thoughts.

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How are the police posing a major problem?

Have I missed the public announcement that we are now gradually returning to normal?

We are in a three week lockdown and people are breaking the rules. I have absolutely no problem with the police writing these people up.

• Like 2

Meanwhile in F1

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko wanted to organise a 'Corona Camp' for his team's drivers so they would deliberately get infected with COVID-19.

The Austrian, who is known to have been outspoken in his views during his long tenure as advisor to Dietrich Mateschitz, believed that exposing his drivers to coronavirus now would help make them immune in the future when the racing season got going again.

Speaking in a video interview with Austrian television station ORF, Marko said: "We have four Formula 1 drivers, and eight or 10 juniors.

"The idea was to organise a camp where we could bridge this mentally and physically somewhat dead time. And that would be the ideal time for the infection to come.

"These are all strong young men in really good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts. And you can be ready for what will probably be a very tough championship once it starts."

While Marko was convinced of the idea, he said his proposal did not go down well with other factions at Red Bull – so has been abandoned.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/marko-red-bull-coronavirus-camp/4774807/

• Haha 1

Â