Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Straying well off piste so I’ll make this the last one - Peterloo Riots

Yes.

This is in danger of becoming “ what have the Romans ever done for us, apart from ......” 😂

I was just trying to reassure the guy we weren’t a particularly rebellious Nation....... I guess that’s backfired and he can go back to worrying 😂😂😂

Just now, terrytini said:

Weren’t the guys in that all wealthy though ? It wasn’t a commoners uprising ? ( OT I know but had to defend myself 🙂)

Nope it was Crawhaw's workforce protesting about lower wages and not being able to afford to eat. Their symbols was a loaf of bread covered in Blood. Essentially the workers from the coal mines and Iron Works.

Meanwhile Crawshaw lived in relative oppulence in Cyfarthfa Park overlooking all he owned

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I did indeed. No great uprising. Our default setting is a “ can’t be arsed” nation.

I think you’d have to say, the last successful bit of a to do would have been the Black and Tan War and 1921 and all that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well which is is it? Her clarity or your opinion? As I don't think she was abundantly clear, deliberately so, nobody can be

She said the words “I did not say we would be on lockdown for 6 months”

It’s my opinion that she was clear. And it’s my opinion that measures will be in place for 6 months, not a lockdown. 

I agree that nobody can be sure how long any of this would last. She said that too. 

The 6 months thing was because one of the reporters asked her something like “are you saying we’ll be in lockdown for 6 months?”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nope it was Crawhaw's workforce protesting about lower wages and not being able to afford to eat. Their symbols was a loaf of bread covered in Blood. Essentially the workers from the coal mines and Iron Works.

Meanwhile Crawshaw lived in relative oppulence in Cyfarthfa Park overlooking all he owned

Indeed it was. I thought you meant the one the Normans were involved in in Merthyr. I’m ashamed to say I overlooked this completely.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not saying it’s right. But there clearly is a point at which things are economically and financially decided. We have people on here for whole one extra death would be too many, and we have people on here that think perhaps we should just crack on. 

I was wondering where the average was going to sit. No more morbid or beyond the pale than any other conversation. I don’t have a right answer in mind that I’m going to spring on people.

An hour-long listen that you might be interested in is the most recent episode of the Ezra Klein podcast called 'Is the cure worse than the disease?', and in which he talks to an economist and a bioethicist to get their perspectives on the question: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/the-ezra-klein-show

He (openly) comes at the issue from the perspective that the cure isn't, in fact, worse than the disease, but gives a fair look at both sides of the argument and I found the discussion quite enlightening. (It's also obviously from an American perspective, but I don't think that matters on this topic).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s fair. I do get that this is exceptional and the not knowing what happens next is a major part of the issue. I’ve sort of mentioned that up page that a mutation can take it away from those ‘less productive’ to those considered ‘more productive’ in purely monetary terms. 

I’m not saying it’s right. But there clearly is a point at which things are economically and financially decided. We have people on here for whole one extra death would be too many, and we have people on here that think perhaps we should just crack on. 

I was wondering where the average was going to sit. No more morbid or beyond the pale than any other conversation. I don’t have a right answer in mind that I’m going to spring on people.

I'm not saying that it's a conversation that is any more morbid or beyond the pale than anything else but that approaching the issue in terms of number of deaths that make some imaginary and arbitrary line is beyond the pale.

A reason for that is that it sets up rather silly lines of argument that may say 10,000 is okay and 10,0001 and above isn't, or it allows for (in my view) rather daft and crass comparisons with numbers of deaths caused by other diseases (and then wrose other non-disease causes).

It also takes the conversation back a number of steps (comparison to 'flu, stuff about 'unnecessary deaths', &c.) and doesn't really address what is happening or what may happen.

We have many different questions to answer if we want to discuss it properly from general and specific ethical ones to what we do and when (for example, we'd expect to come up with different strategies if it were a single event versus a repeat event versus a seasonal event) to many others.

Simply asking people to pluck a number out of the air for their personal tipping point isn't at all a good way of approaching it because anyone who gives a number is, frankly, not understanding the problem at hand now and the potential problem in the future.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m getting married on July 25th. What are people’s thoughts.. is this thing going ahead?! 

Going ahead at all, or going ahead with flash mob dance tribute and 2,000 evening guests?

Getting married, I think you’ll be fine.

If it was a massive party you were thinking of, it’s a bit tricky to guess. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

It is one of those sensationalist stories. The authorities regularly dye it black to deter swimmers, as the water is toxic. 

Yep, a quick Google will reveal a news story from 2013 about it being dyed black to deter swimmers because of the toxiticy.   Press on the make again. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Going ahead at all, or going ahead with flash mob dance tribute and 2,000 evening guests?

Getting married, I think you’ll be fine.

If it was a massive party you were thinking of, it’s a bit tricky to guess. 

Cracking excuse to be a skinflint tbf. Going to be quids in.

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Wait, there’s a black lagoon in the Dales? I’m totally going to see that tomorrow. 

:ph34r:

Do you mind picking me up on the way through, I'd love to see that too. Let's have a VT road trip!

Apologies if this has been posted already - trying to have a mostly news-free weekend. 

An interesting thread on the reinfection stories and how reinfection is somewhat unlikely. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, sne said:

As if people were not suffering enough

You think that’s bad, Jamiroquai has just posted a covid song. 
I won’t link it as we’re already having a hard enough time. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Window cleaner text us to say he’s coming tomorrow. Surprised that’s on the exclusions list...

you're inside, he's outside

it shouldn't be a problem 

just don't make him a cup of tea !!!!

Â