Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from eastern Europe

UK urgently needs to fill 90,000 positions to pick crops that will otherwise die in the fields, warns charity

Grauniad

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Merthyr Rising; an interesting read awaits.

Hilarity last year when the annual concert to commemorate it was headlined one evening by Alabama 3.

They gave a rousing mid song speech about not needing countries and not needing flags, then remembered the whole point of the booking was to commemorate a flag!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hilarity last year when the annual concert to commemorate it was headlined one evening by Alabama 3.

They gave a rousing mid song speech about not needing countries and not needing flags, then remembered the whole point of the booking was to commemorate a flag!

In the heartlands of Nigel Farage's Wales as well

I already know the answer but in their defence, the Swansea Rd Estate is so full of Welsh Charm, they just had to! They were promoting Welsh Tourism

There was a time in the 80's where the EU had a list of the most deprived areas of Britain and it was quite specific. Swansea Rd was first, which pissed off the Gurnos because they'd been pipped into second place.

Merthyr was so bad, people were getting put in Ambulances and begging not to be taken to Prince Charles Hospital (its death rate was rather spectacular)

• Like 1

Dr Harries, deputy CMO is certainly dropping "up to 6 months" in there a lot.

When asked whether the country would be on lockdown for the next six months, Harries said:

We actually anticipate our numbers will get worse over the next week, possibly two, and then we are looking to see whether we have managed to push that curve down and we start to see a decline.

This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months, but as a nation we have to be really, really responsible and keep doing what we’re all doing until we’re sure we can gradually start lifting various interventions which are likely to be spaced - based on the science and our data - until we gradually come back to a normal way of living.

She said the Government would review lockdown measures in three weeks time.

The issue of the three weeks is for us to review where we are and see if we’ve had an impact jointly on the slope of that curve. But I think to make it clear to the public if we are successful we will have squashed the top of that curve, which is brilliant, but we must not then suddenly revert to our normal way of living that would be quite dangerous.

If we stop then all of our efforts will be wasted and we could potentially see a second peak. So over time, probably over the next six months, we will have a three-week review.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/29/uk-coronavirus-live-mass-testing-lockdown-boris-johnson-covid-19-latest

1 hour ago, Xela said:

It is one of those sensationalist stories. The authorities regularly dye it black to deter swimmers, as the water is toxic. 

I don’t think they regularly do it, they have done it before granted but the story I read didn’t suggest it was frequent.

And it was done specifically on this occasion in light of the circumstances.

But I’m far from an expert, didn’t even know it existed before reading the news article

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was clear from the update, IMO, that she meant measures could be in place for 6 months. She made it very clear she didn’t mean lockdown. 

again in my opinion only

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was clear from the update, IMO, that she meant measures could be in place for 6 months.

This will be all over by Christmas (...one for those of you who like the war analogies.)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was clear from the update, IMO, that she meant measures could be in place for 6 months. She made it very clear she didn’t mean lockdown. 

again in my opinion only

Well which is is it? Her clarity or your opinion? As I don't think she was abundantly clear, deliberately so, nobody can be

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Any number of them!

Local hero Dic Penderyn says hi! What with the Merthyr Rising being the first use of the red flag.

I’m presuming he meant successful revolution...

I did indeed. No great uprising. Our default setting is a “ can’t be arsed” nation.

Â