Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

My criticism of the Government is more about what was done over the last 10 years, rather than what they are doing now. They are desperately shoring up a sinking ship that they punched holes in.

Yeah, and the Tories cannot argue about not being warned that the NHS was under-funded and broke, they have heard it every day since they took power! 

I have a friend who is an anaesthetist in her native Germany. She has had two tests so far - both negative thankfully. She cannot believe that I haven't been tested yet. She said that over there she got tested, together with her whole family at home in the household, because her hubby attended a fire (part time fireman in the village where they live) and the guy he fought the fire with was since diagnosed with the virus. She said you get given a code number if the doctor thinks you may have it and you claim for your testing kit for you and everyone in the household. 

We are supposed to be a world-leading country yet we seem so primitive sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The picture on the news yesterday of the police triumphantly posing with the (beautiful looking) lagoon in Derbyshire, I think - having just dyed it black to deter visitors, scared me, a lot.

It is one of those sensationalist stories. The authorities regularly dye it black to deter swimmers, as the water is toxic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whoever had the idea of getting Kate McCann to beg people to stay at home has a either a sick sense of humour or a lobotomy

That woman makes my blood boil. Her hubby makes me want to be violent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No. The government’s response is a key issue in the entire thing. 

Spot on! If death toll gets too uncomfortable, people would only be asking one thing and that is why the government didn't do things sooner. 

31 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

like the above and people doing non essential work on construction sites, in warehouses, call centres, is allowed to happen

Agreed, we've shut our call centre down and installed Voice Recognition IVR to replace the staff. The call takers are all furloughed as is much of the company, we're running with 15 staff, mostly working from home. (Three Tech guys have to go in - on a rota, to look after the equipment)

People are complaining that they can't order cabs, what they actually mean is they can't speak properly and can't pronounce the name of their road correctly.

Absolutely no-one is getting a cab for Parthenon (Partheeeneon) Drive, not one of them can say it properly :mrgreen:

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mate, half the time you seem to be doing the above, (rightly) worried about your other half and how mental the hospitals are and the awful PPE situation.

And the other half of the time you seem to be moaning about people being negative in this thread as if it's an overreaction.

If people took thing more seriously, and obeyed what they're being told to do and didn't think it was all a big overreaction, then the situations in the hospital with your other half would be far far more manageable.

Things are going to get worse in the hospitals before they get better. And the more people don't take this as seriously as they should, the worst still it will be.

As someone who has a partner working in the NHS, I feel like you should be begging people to take this as seriously as possible.

Not sure why you felt the need to post that? 

In reality most on here know the score, know one think's people are overreacting, it's just people handle things in different ways, as in some try and stay positive.

this seems to be doing the rounds. Think the no big jump in death rates thing is pretty obvious given that there have only been 1200 or so deaths  associated with this in a month or more, a good chunk of which may well have died anyway given the ages/existing health conditions.

In other news Kate Mcann is trending on twitter after telling people to stay indoors to protect our weaker ones. As you can imagine the reactions to that are rather amusing if a little on the dark side.

v1m3Yzr.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

People are complaining that they can't order cabs, what they actually mean is they can't speak properly and can't pronounce the name of their road correctly.

Well, they are from Liverpool, what do you expect ;) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whoever had the idea of getting Kate McCann to beg people to stay at home has a either a sick sense of humour or a lobotomy

Well, another £11m is expected to be given to the operation to find her daughter this week, so we may as well get her doing anything we can. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well, they are from Liverpool, what do you expect ;) 

Oh you don't have to tell me, We have at least two Malvern Roads, Not a prayer, they pronounce it as two blokes shortened first names... then there's Towc(h)ester St and Farn(s)worth. The lettters in brackens get added, English has silent letters, Scouse has invisible ones

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Well if it’s any comfort we aren’t 🙂..... we are almost unique in the World for never having had a citizens revolt. ( unlike China for example !).....even when we had a Civil War it was those in Power fighting each other rather than the oppressed rising up.

Harsh erasure of Wat Tyler from history there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

this seems to be doing the rounds. Think the no big jump in death rates thing is pretty obvious given that there have only been 1200 or so deaths  associated with this in a month or more, a good chunk of which may well have died anyway given the ages/existing health conditions.

v1m3Yzr.jpg

I don"t know how much you can read into that.

I'd imagine over the last 3 weeks or so things you phone 111 for, assuming you can get through, that they may have advised you to go to hospital with they won't now. Also people may natrually now want to avoid going to hospital with a condition they may well have gone with before.

As for deaths there has got to have been a reduction in deaths from vehicular accidents due to the amount of people who have been working from home. This will also have impacted on hospital attendances of those injured in vehicular accidents.

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is nipping out for Tapas on the essential travel list? 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Harsh erasure of Wat Tyler from history there!

Any number of them!

Local hero Dic Penderyn says hi! What with the Merthyr Rising being the first use of the red flag.

I’m presuming he meant successful revolution...

• Like 3

Sky News have just annoyed me. They were showing a breakdown of who thinks the government has handled this well and who thinks they haven’t. 

As you’d expect, approval for the Tories was higher with the elderly than with younger demographics. 

But what annoyed me was the reporter explicitly said that this was because the younger generations feel that the government’s response has been too strict and it takes away their freedom and favours protecting the elderly!

surely that’s totally backwards? Most people I’ve seen disapproving of the government’s response has disapproved because they don’t think it’s strict enough!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Any number of them!

Local hero Dic Penderyn says hi! What with the Merthyr Rising being the first use of the red flag.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Merthyr Rising; an interesting read awaits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Any number of them!

Hirwaun common actually :mrgreen:

• Like 1

By the way, Peter Hitchens isn't the only person unable to work out that the planetary movements guy and the epidemiologists are two different groups at Imperial College. Here's Dan Hannan claiming in the Telegraph that 'the authors of the Imperial College report that suggested 250,000 deaths now say the fatalities will be around 5,700', so he's either lying or incredibly stupid or both.

EUR-ep3WkAEYAyv?format=png&name=small

Â