Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

@awol I want to share this with a few people and I am not disputing the figure bit is there a source for this?

Sorry no, it’s a copy paste from twitter, but I was recording the Italian figures in early March to try and work out their CFR and they matched - so I figured the rest were correct too. Those graphs from the FT above show how closely we are mirroring Italy’s rise in deaths, albeit with a time lag. 

My comment was wrong though, UK was at 236 on the 21st, not 233. 

• Like 1

Just now, Awol said:

Sorry no, it’s a copy paste from twitter, but I was recording the Italian figures in early March to try and work out their CFR and they matched - so I figured the rest were correct too. Those graphs from the FT above show how closely we are mirroring Italy’s rise in deaths, albeit with a time lag. 

My comment was wrong though, UK was at 236 on the 21st, not 233. 

that's cool. I trust you so if you have confidence in it then I will. 

• Thanks 1

As much as I want to believe that our leaders are doing their best, I honestly think they're being deliberate with their strategy and still want the outcome of 'mitigation' rather than complete shut down. It may look like dithering but actions speak louder than words.

Here is a question about the social distancing stuff, does anyone here know of anyone who isn't following the guidelines and still going about their daily business as normal?

The only places that I'm going at the moment is work and I'll go to Tesco's if I need anything.

My boss went to the pub on Wednesday for "just one glass of wine" I let her know that she is an idiot, I think that she got the point and by Friday she was saying that she would be following it to the letter.

Everyone else that I know is taking it seriously, even my sister who I thought would have been off gallivanting around Birmingham seeing her mates.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

As much as I want to believe that our leaders are doing their best, I honestly think they're being deliberate with their strategy and still want the outcome of 'mitigation' rather than complete shut down. It may look like dithering but actions speak louder than words.

My missus reckons they are doing exactly this - If people follow advice and self-isolate then there’s a very good chance they’ll be fine. For those that don’t it’s on them, they were warned. No second peak and achieving the herd immunity goal. 

I thought the same and the evidence points that way, but I’m struggling to rationalize it now with what’s going to happen. It’s horrifying.

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Here is a question about the social distancing stuff, does anyone here know of anyone who isn't following the guidelines and still going about their daily business as normal?

I've not been going at all after work but my job makes distancing incredibly hard. I'm a mobile Electrician that works for a large FM company and our clients are mainly all within the retail sector. 

It's quite worrying, but until my company takes the decision to cease operations I guess I'll have to keep going. 

Honestly I can’t believe people are still this thick. The amount of people still out for non urgent things round here is ridiculous. I’m all in favour of fines and put that money into the nhs.

this is serious

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not suggesting that everyone at the seaside or the arboretum or the local this afternoon watched this interview; what I am suggesting is that if you were more aware of government communications at that point than you are now, for whatever reason, you may reasonably enough have come to the conclusion that this was all kind of no big deal really.

Yep. It seems as though, for some people at least, it's not anything more than a big old joke.

I've just seen two guys turn up to pick up the bod who lives over the road to go off-roading as seems to be their standard Sunday activity. The one guy has an obvious cough and was joking around in the midddle of the road coughing all over his mate (actually taking down the motocross bandana that he had covering his mouth so that he could cough over his mate) and they were both having a good laugh about it. Dicks.

But the problem here is that no one else may have seen that and amongst this guy's neighbours are someone who currently has prostate cancer, someone who only last year got over cancer, someone in their early seventies whose health isn't great and still smokes, another person in their late seventies with similar health issues, &c.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am in a state of bewilderment mixed with disappointment and anger with my local population.

At 830 this morning I went to my local Tesco just for fuel, knowing the store wasn’t due to open until 10am. I still have to go into work so need petrol.

i was a little surprised to see a queue of traffic trying to get into the car park but thought it could also be for fuel (which could be tomorrow’s toilet roll and horders choice!) but no...

petrol station empty and loads of morons, queuing with their trollies out of the car park and up the slip road... not only queuing but all clustered together like idiots

absolute morons the lot of them... it’ll be like a swarm of locust in there when the doors finally open

clearly the government’s message of stay away, socially distance and don’t horde shop is not getting through to the six fingered folk of south Devon.

😡😡😡

• Sad 1

Observing from afar I get the impression it's still not sunk in in the UK, which is no surprise given the absence of leadership from the PM. Reports of people using the shutdown to go to the lakes or spend the time on the beach appear to back this up. This is how the outbreak in Madrid spread to Murcia.

The decisions to go ahead with Cheltenham, Liverpool vs Atleti and concerts will be looked back on with incredulity in the coming weeks as the virus really takes hold.

They're already referring to the Atalanta vs Valencia match as a biological bomb given the amount of cases that have sprouted in Bergamo in the aftermath. 

Do we think we will follow Spain and Italy just because the numbers say so? 

Or do we think their way of life is different to ours more family oriented kissing on both cheeks when they meet thus easier to pass on?

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Can I just point out we haven't actually closed our schools. We've reduced their capacity.

I, and everyone of my colleagues, will be going in this week to a group of 30+ children, approximately 45 parents, working with a daily skeleton staff of approximately ten to care for these children with no chance of social distancing or protection from any kind from infection. We will be increasing our hours to offer wraparound care and staying open through the holidays. If one person gets infected then all the staff do as they will come in to contact with each other within that rota.

It's an improvement from Friday, but largely the risk to me and my colleagues remains unchanged - we will deal with 30 kids as usual and all get infected if one person in the school does. My wife will, as management, be going in to her school every day with similar numbers. Combined we're going to be coming in to contact with 200 people a day in a confined space with what would be considered super spreaders - children. And we'll do it with a smile, endless energy and a mask of positivity to keep the children unaware of our own personal fears.

But we're closed and safe apparently. Might be wrong to state this aloud, but we're feeling a little under appreciated. Have seen loads of, rightful, support for NHS workers, delivery drivers, shop workers and all those other 'key workers'. We're the only group that will get zero protection from this, no masks, no scrubs, no avoiding the public, no changes whatsoever to our normal routines - in fact an extension of them. 

Sorry, feeling a little fed up tonight.

Exactly the same situation and feelings here mate. Hope it goes well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Way back in the thread I referred back to the incredibly heavy government information TV warning films back in the 1980s about AIDS. I was expecting something similar this time, and was surprised it hasn't happened. 

There have been loads of these on the TV I have watched.  Plenty of graphic style warnings between TV shows and adverts and mini broadcasts by that chief medical bloke who unfortunately has compete charisma bypass. Strangely there seems to be more on Sky than other channels. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

mini broadcasts by that chief medical bloke who unfortunately has compete charisma bypass. . 

Not directed at you, just picking up a theme.

We’ve been drilled none stop for years that charisma and style and celebrity and panache and being photogenic trump all other attributes.

We’ve had enough of experts. Gove needs absolute hanging out to dry for that one, where is the greasy smarmy little word removed now, eh?

I’ll go for the scientist that’s not interested in pitching for a place on the next series of Strictly, thanks.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Can I just point out we haven't actually closed our schools. We've reduced their capacity.

I, and everyone of my colleagues, will be going in this week to a group of 30+ children, approximately 45 parents, working with a daily skeleton staff of approximately ten to care for these children with no chance of social distancing or protection from any kind from infection. We will be increasing our hours to offer wraparound care and staying open through the holidays. If one person gets infected then all the staff do as they will come in to contact with each other within that rota.

It's an improvement from Friday, but largely the risk to me and my colleagues remains unchanged - we will deal with 30 kids as usual and all get infected if one person in the school does. My wife will, as management, be going in to her school every day with similar numbers. Combined we're going to be coming in to contact with 200 people a day in a confined space with what would be considered super spreaders - children. And we'll do it with a smile, endless energy and a mask of positivity to keep the children unaware of our own personal fears.

But we're closed and safe apparently. Might be wrong to state this aloud, but we're feeling a little under appreciated. Have seen loads of, rightful, support for NHS workers, delivery drivers, shop workers and all those other 'key workers'. We're the only group that will get zero protection from this, no masks, no scrubs, no avoiding the public, no changes whatsoever to our normal routines - in fact an extension of them. 

Sorry, feeling a little fed up tonight.

Your key workers mate. Theres plenty out there far from key workers but still having to work. All staff with health issues will not be working, we all have to pull together an believe me being a parent myself with my partner being a nurse you are totally valued and appreciated. But one thing that is not going to happen which without disrespect, is us feeling sorry for the teachers when the nurses and others are subject to much more serious conditions every day. An to be fair you are child minding, you are not being asked to full on work over this stressful and unprecedented period.

Again no disrespect but if you want appreciation its here.

How many families today, on having their planned sunday lunch/mothers' day booking cancelled, will instead be having a large family dinner with visitors from several households? I know there's at least two large groups of the **** in my extended family that won't listen to reason.

The general public are morons.

Â