Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

University of Oxford trial likely to begin in May. 

This one is a biggie. They are planning to give Chloroquine to 10k NHS staff and other high risk individuals over a 3 month period 

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT04303507

If they think there are going to be 10,000 nhs staff that have not previously had or been diagnosed with covid-19 by the time it gets around to May i think they may well be disappointed

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

If they think there are going to be 10,000 nhs staff that have not previously had or been diagnosed with covid-19 by the time it gets around to May i think they may well be disappointed

That may be the case. May is the current ‘estimated’ start date, so maybe they will try and move quicker, who knows.

There will be ‘results’ from the Norwegian trial within 3-4 weeks from the first batches of patients and if positive, I suspect the handbrake will be off across the world and it will start being dished out. 

Edit: To clarify, by ‘results’ I mean doctors will have a decent handle on whether it is actually effective or not, not results in the sense of actual final trial outcomes. 

Edited by wazzap24

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

There will be ‘results’ from the Norwegian trial within 3-4 weeks from the first batches of patients and if positive, I suspect the handbrake will be off across the world and it will start being dished out.

It would sound worryingly precipitous given the kinds of timescales people like Fauci/Whitty/others have spoken of.

One hopes that things are not going to be rushed simply for a demand from the public and politicians to have something done.

Typically Kiwi response to the virus. Obviously not all the famous faces are instantly recognisable to us over here but it’s a whole lot more useful than a bunch of self-important actors heaving out a Beatles song. 

Pretty drastic measures about to be taken in Germany according to paper BILD.

Contact ban, where gatherings of more than 2 people will be banned (not in families obviously) bars, restaurants, hotels, hairdressers cosmetic studios, tattoo studios and massage salons should close immediately.

Up to €25000 fine for those who break it.

I’d highly recommend a read of the clinical trials site. 

Not only is it a bit better for your mental health than just looking at the news, it’s also amazing to the work being undertaken by medical/research/science communities across the world. 

Over 100 trials currently in various stages, looking at everything from vaccines/potential treatments to social media behaviour connected to the current outbreak.

It’s quite heartening to see tbh. 

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Edit: To clarify, by ‘results’ I mean doctors will have a decent handle on whether it is actually effective or not, not results in the sense of actual final trial outcomes.

Indeed, from your link:

Estimated Primary Completion Date :

April 1, 2021

And

One of the Secondary Outcome Measures:

Mortality at 30 and 90 days [ Time Frame: At follow-up 30 and 90 days ]

All-cause mortality assessed at 30 and 90 days

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It would sound worryingly precipitous given the kinds of timescales people like Fauci/Whitty/others have spoken of.

One hopes that things are not going to be rushed simply for a demand from the public and politicians to have something done.

I’m a lot more positive than others on here seem to be about it tbh. 

I wish I hadn’t posted the Trump tweet at the end of my post with all the links the other day, because he’s an idiot and it took away from a lot of solid info coming through. 

The drug combo he was tweeting about has been given to a grand total of 6 people and is a bit of a red herring 

I’ve read quite a bit from loads of places about Hydroxychloroquine and not only does it look like it has genuine promise, it also has a good safety profile. The concerns I’ve read from the toxicity reports are around long term, high dose usage (long term being use over a 5 year period) 

I’m not just posting random shite here, go read all the links I’ve provided (not meant as a dig, but I don’t want people thinking I’m posting stuff from obscure tin foil hat sources) 

I’m not just posting random shite here, go read all the links I’ve provided (not meant as a dig, but I don’t want people thinking I’m posting stuff from obscure tin foil hat sources) 

Are you VillaReport in disguise?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Indeed, from your link:

And

One of the Secondary Outcome Measures:

The full results won’t be available until 2025, but again given that this is a drug that has been in use since the 50’s, with a raft of data behind it already, I wouldn’t be surprised to see timescales massively accelerated if early results are good. 

Just now, wazzap24 said:

I’m a lot more positive than others on here seem to be about it tbh. 

But it doesn't really matter whether you or I are positive about it, does it?

What matters is the science and how the actual tests go.

I mean it does matter about the 'positivity' of the general public or politicians if that 'positivity' is converted in to a demand to bypass some crucial procedures for the sake of a movie-style fix.

I wish I hadn’t posted the Trump tweet at the end of my post with all the links the other day, because he’s an idiot and it took away from a lot of solid info coming through.

The Trump tweet has no bearing on what I'm posting. I'm posting the same things that I have thought when I''ve listened to Trump answer questions, Fauci answer questions, Whitty answer questions, &c.

4 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

No, you're not (and, obviously, I have read one of the links as I have just posted something from that link in my previous tweet). You're posting from the website regarding clinical trials and it's most certainly not obscure, tin foil hat stuff.

You are then adding your take on it, though. That take is your personal positive outlook which is fine to have but it should be viewed in that context, surely?

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

The full results won’t be available until 2025

I didn't say anything about the full results.

I quoted the time given for the estimated Primary Completion Date which is obviously well after the time that initial results may be showing and able to be interpreted but the reason I quoted the second bit about one of the secondary outcome measures, the 30-90 day mortality measure, is that it might suggest that there's going to be a minimum time to have relatively confident initial conclusions (this might fit in with the Oxford study you linked lasting for 3 months, perhaps?).

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see timescales massively accelerated if early results are good.

Are you basing that on any experience in a clinical/drug related field?

Please don't take my responses to your posts in the wrong way - they (your posts) are informative and I'm very much thankful for you posting the information and the links to the sources.

Edited by snowychap

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

But it doesn't really matter whether you or I are positive about it, does it?

What matters is the science and how the actual tests go.

I mean it does matter about the 'positivity' of the general public or politicians if that 'positivity' is converted in to a demand to bypass some crucial procedures for the sake of a movie-style fix.

The Trump tweet has no bearing on what I'm posting. I'm posting the same things that I have thought when I''ve listened to Trump answer questions, Fauci answer questions, Whitty answer questions, &c.

No, you're not (and, obviously, I have read one of the links as I have just posted something from that link in my previous tweet). You're posting from the website regarding clinical trials and it's most certainly not obscure, tin foil hat stuff.

You are then adding your take on it, though. That take is your personal positive outlook which is fine to have but it should be viewed in that context, surely?

Fair do’s, my only argument being I’m not adding any positivity to the actual links, All I have said is that I am quite positive about it. I mean the bits in bold from the Norwegian study I’ve quoted, sound quite positive don’t they? 

Worth reading the Wikipedia article on Hydroxychloroquine. My wife has taken it in the past for her rheumatoid arthritis, but didn't find it particularly effective. However, it may still be a game-changer with COVID-19, at least for reducing the symptoms. 

• Like 1

Not to weigh in on any disagreements but I think it a good idea to see some positivity right now. I for one am glad most round my area are taking it seriously and that now all pubs have been shut. Definitely noticed the penny has not dropped for a lot of people though, kids friends parents, other people etc. Horrible times but I am fairly sure there will be a medical breakthrough, it's not end of days, but very frightening all the same. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently it’s been like this at stores all over the Midlands. I just can’t get my head around it. 

People are really, really, really **** stupid, and panic at the slightest chance.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I mean the bits in bold from the Norwegian study I’ve quoted, sound quite positive don’t they?

Yes and no.

The potential results are very positive, obviously, but we need not to ignore the 'if successful' bit.

If it all goes as hypothesised, i.e. it's successful, then the outcome will be great but we shouldn't read that as though it's just a case of turning up and going through the motions.

• Like 1

FWIW - this I found a good, balanced take and we should sign him to play alongside Marvellous. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/the-doctor-who-helped-defeat-smallpox-explains-whats-coming/?comments=1

"Larry Brilliant says he doesn’t have a crystal ball. But 14 years ago, Brilliant, the epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox, spoke to a TED audience and described what the next pandemic would look like"

• Haha 2

Â