Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would ask for a copy of the risk assessment they have carried out bearing in mind your medical conditions. If it get's to the health and safety officer you will be working from home in the blink of an eye. Your lung condition is top of the list of the government self isolate conditions. 

Cheers for the advice mate, I'll do that on Monday. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

And now folks who were there are being diagnosed with the virus. It was stupid! 

I know three people who were at Cheltenham last week and are now self isolating with symptoms. Ridiculous decision for it to go ahead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That's just crazy! 

Apparently Westonburt Arboretum was so busy today that they were having to turn people away. 

An astonishing number of people seem to be treating this as some sort of early summer holiday. 

Why are the public such arseholes?

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

90619544_3053800904631659_4779533580873236480_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=5nNE-QpL0H0AX_wOZqb&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=8c5a536f9cf2e68c1f6c0e3080c5c9dd&oe=5E9BA995

Some people are too stupid which is why we should be on total lockdown and not allowed to leave the house except for essential reasons - work, food shopping, health reasons (visit GP, hospital, pharmacy etc). It will come this week but the delay will have cost a lot of lives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The UK is tracking above Italy in the deaths column, it’s just a bit behind in the timeline.

image.png.34a20095430d0c51bb0c022ca6160172.png

Apparently there are a number of factories in North Italy with strong links to Wuhan so they were the first place in Europe to get contamination. Then it spread to the rest of Europe, largely via tourists returning home from the ski fields and Milan fashion week.

Birmingham's car factories also have strong links to Wuhan automotive sector, they have  been installing new auto lines up until February this year.

14 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I know three people who were at Cheltenham last week and are now self isolating with symptoms. Ridiculous decision for it to go ahead.

Cheltenham has been linked with a large number of infections. Batshit crazy that was........ Literally. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Cheers for the advice mate, I'll do that on Monday. 

If they STILL don't budge, go off on stress stating the worry of being out and about contrary to government advice worrying you. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Some people are too stupid which is why we should be on total lockdown and not allowed to leave the house except for essential reasons - work, food shopping, health reasons (visit GP, hospital, pharmacy etc). It will come this week but the delay will have cost a lot of lives.

Boris is hoping people are smart enough to do the right thing. They aren't. He needs to less pally and more decisive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Not sure if the 80% is only for those who have the virus though or whether it applies to people encouraged to stay home when at risk?

It's for people who are declared as furloughed workers but your company would need to apply for it.

47 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Why are the public such arseholes?

Several generations of young people were raised not knowing what an existential threat really means. Living in a superficial bubble of consumerist, reality TV based bullshit is presented as the apex of western civilization, while the media spent three years telling them older people were their enemy. 

Now we expect them to behave like unselfish, community minded adults?  

• Like 3

And now folks who were there are being diagnosed with the virus. It was stupid! 

There is the suggestion that the Atalanta vs Valencia champions league match was one  of the main causes for the explosion of cases in Bergamo, if so the effects of Cheltenham and the Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid  won't bear thinking about. Both could have created clusters everywhere by now.

This guy at work really acts like he cares but when I asked to change my hours his true colours shone through. I'll push for wfh on Monday as I have a 6 year old and want to be around to see him grow to be a Father himself one day. 

I truly don't think you should go to work, even on Monday. If you have the names of the people involved, I would contact your line manager, HR, and occupational health or equivalent tomorrow, via email, and state that following government advice, you are self-isolating, but that you're prepared to work from home.

I mean, I don't know your company, and maybe they're big enough arseholes to discipline you for that, but I doubt it. Frankly, with your medical history, there's absolutely no way you should be going to work, and really you should barely be leaving the house. Taking public transport to work is playing Russian roulette with your life at this point.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Several generations of young people were raised not knowing what an existential threat really means. Living in a superficial bubble of consumerist, reality TV based bullshit is presented as the apex of western civilization, while the media spent three years telling them older people were their enemy. 

Now we expect them to behave like unselfish, community minded adults?  

Sorry but I don't recognize this description of 'young people'. The ones I know and meet are generally very sensible and level headed and are perfectly capable of behaving as unselfish, community minded adults. Unlike many actual adults I might add.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

Boris is hoping people are smart enough to do the right thing. They aren't. He needs to less pally and more decisive. 

It's no win though.  People point to China and similar countries who have "beaten" the disease and criticise the Government for not being strong enough.  They come down heavy handed and they will be accused of being fascist dictators and heavy handed.  No matter what they do a strong section of society will criticise them. 

We are doing pretty much the same as most Western countries.  We can't threaten death to those who break curfew so we are strongly telling people what they should do but not enforcing it.

A mayor in Northern Italy made the point the other day that they had asked people to isolate but not all were complying and gave veiled threats about needing to get more strict, which they probably will. 

So basically due to our free society we can only recommend and encourage behaviours.  Only when the true horror of it hits home is there enough public support for more draconian measures, but it would be political suicide otherwise. 

In addition to the freedom issue of the Western World, it's like it or not a way for the disease to percolate through the nation on slow burn.  Let it get so far then isolate (which coincides with public opinion) then allow people out again until the next cycle kicks in then reign it back in again. 

I've seen suggestions that the future will be like this, periods of relaxation of restrictions then reinstating them again.  Makes sense to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. Like sluice gates to control a flood. 

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

There is the suggestion that the Atalanta vs Valencia champions league match was one  of the main causes for the explosion of cases in Bergamo, if so the effects of Cheltenham and the Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid  won't bear thinking about. Both could have created clusters everywhere by now.

that game was played in Milan so not sure if it was so high in Milan compared the smaller towns. Valencia though have 5 or 6 players effected at the moment. Allowing Liverpool game with fans was crazy as Madrid is an absolute hot spot at the moment

Â