Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

This guy is arguing that we're in a worse situation than Italy:

Is it surprising? 

Italy did things before us along the curve and they're still in a mess.

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

While we’re at it, a thread on why blaming the public for shopping more than normal in supermarkets is virtue signaling BS: 

don't think that guys maths is right, can't just average out the whole  year and split it evenly every month, There will be large variancies month to month & no time to plan for additional seasonal  stock which would usually happen at xmas/easter/summer etc, Also there are vast quantities of very specific items being purchased in numbers that are completely unprecedented.

Sure, people need to buy more of everything if they are not leaving the house and eating all meals at home etc but that should not strip shelves completely of multiple products for weeks. People are panic buying & hoarding there is no doubt about that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Sure, people need to buy more of everything if they are not leaving the house and eating all meals at home etc but that should not strip shelves completely of multiple products for weeks. People are panic buying & hoarding there is no doubt about that.

I think there's different things happening. The first thing that is happening, and is very rare, is profiteering, which I think we can all agree is extremely anti-social. The second thing that is happening is hoarding, but 'hoarding' is complicated IMO, for the reasons you state. If an average person is told that they need to have enough food in their house to self-isolate for 14 days without going to the supermarket, then they are going to leave the supermarket with a lot more food than they normally would do. Whether this is anti-social or pro-social depends on how you look at it; it's anti-social to leave the people arriving at the supermarket after you with less stuff, but pro-social not to go to the supermarket when you're sick. The final thing that is happening is panic buying, which may be considered anti-social but is simply inevitable. There can't be many people reading this who *wouldn't* buy loo roll if it was in stock the next time they went shopping, out of a (legitimate) fear that it won't be around the next time.

Basically, too much blame is being put on individuals (this isn't a specific comment aimed at you LD, more a general observation) for not being able to reconcile 'leaving lots of things on the shelves' with 'being able to feed and look after a family for fourteen days in self-isolation', when nearly anybody would struggle with meeting those largely conflicting goals.

EDIT: By the way, I hope you're feeling better!

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't know how the penny hasn't dropped for some just how serious this is. We can all see what is happening here and we can all see what is happening in Spain, a week or so in front of us, and Italy a couple of weeks ahead. The Spanish PM said tonight "We have yet to receive the impact of the strongest, most damaging wave, which will test our material and moral capacities to the limit, as well as our spirit as a society"  I'm in no doubt he, and those leading Italy, would do things much differently if they had their time again and have taken stronger action sooner. We have been fortunate, if you can call it that, to have seen what is happening in Italy and Spain but our leaders and many of our fellow citizens haven't acted on that knowledge and we are going to pay as heavy a price if not worse.

For the first time in history we can save the world by literally doing nothing. just sitting on the sofa watching tv. 

Let's not **** this one up! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I was having a pop at everyone bone stupid enough not to be taking this seriously. Where I live that is overwhelmingly younger people. What I’ve seen on tv is overwhelmingly younger people.

I’m 42 not 72, that's not ‘old’, I’m angry at people my age and older who’ve been so dismissive of this too, but the people congregating indoors where the chances of catching this are exponentially higher, are mainly younger people.  

whilst there does seem to be a lack of consistently about views on the the use of Age generalisation in  this thread and say the Brexit thread ,I think in the ignoring advice stakes it seems to be across all ages from what I’ve seen and heard . It still all seems too remote for many people like until someone close to them catches it , it’s something that isn’t going to happen to them. 

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Not really an argument is it. 

It's a Fact!

I think I'd be a bit more cautious than that. It's possible that in two weeks we won't actually have more cases or deaths than Italy; I think that's unlikely, based on what we've seen so far, but we should acknowledge it's at least possible.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I'd be a bit more cautious than that. It's possible that in two weeks we won't actually have more cases or deaths than Italy; I think that's unlikely, based on what we've seen so far, but we should acknowledge it's at least possible.

Mate, Its not even started here yet and a number of hospitals have already been over run. 

May god help us this time next week. 

• Like 1

COVID-19 can live on some surfaces up to 72 hours, study says 

LOS ANGELES - COVID-19 can live on some surfaces for up to 72 hours, especially hard, nonporous ones like metal and hard plastic, according to a recent study

The study showed that the virus survived the longest on surfaces like plastic and stainless steel, but it can also live on cardboard for up to 24 hours.  

https://www.fox4news.com/news/covid-19-can-live-on-some-surfaces-up-to-72-hours-study-says?fbclid=IwAR0u5_QtDCIFg_LDhP9IuZdAi7RDzSAO4XyR6Xo2vw4Dz7JspPDQ7t18zEA 

Went to get tested today here in New Zealand. Me and partner have been symptom free since we got here but picked up a mate today and he had a cough so thought we'd all get checked out. 3 hour queue for the drive through but we overheard a worker say there was no queue for the walk in so we ditched the car and were seen to in 20 minutes. Filled out a form and had a chat with the nurses and they said we weren't going to get the test because supplies and time are low and they're reserving it for the people who are showing multiple symptoms which is fair enough, they assured us that we were all most likely fine. Some people were getting pretty irate at queuing for 3 hours to not get tested.

The nurse in charge mentioned that we should come back next week if we developed symptoms but added that would only be if the testing station was actually still there next week as the virus could be spread all over by then and they'd have closed it down. There's only around 60 confirmed cases over here but I saw at least 100 people at this one testing station the 20 mins I was there so I'd imagine the actual number is much, much higher than 60.

Edited by Pembers

10 hours ago, Awol said:

This is already out of date but similarity of the growth pattern is striking. 

UK hit 233 today - 21st Mar. 

045A0A81-7D36-4691-93EC-210FB6F56B0E.jpeg

@awol I want to share this with a few people and I am not disputing the figure bit is there a source for this?

I think it's very unlikely you will see the death numbers observed from Italy. They got the highest percentage of elderly population on earth, behind Japan. 

And I very much doubt the British do, no offence ment. 

Pulled from Google:

*58% of Covid-19 patients who died so far were over 80 years old, and a further 31% were in their 70s. 

Italy also has 2/3 male casualty rate iirc, and it's very very normal to smoke there. Much more so than the UK. 

And guess I've got to read this thread for examples, cause while young people can get complications, my impression from reading stats from Italy, Germany, Poland, Norway is that young people that it hits hard almost always, to the percentage of 99%, got an underluying condition, i.e. Astmathic, Lung diseases, Diabetes, sepsis, recently operated and low immune system, cancer etc. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Â