Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

From Tim Shipman in the Sunday Times:

ETsqTFOUcAARfjU?format=jpg&name=large

Just as a counter to "well, they're doing their best and following the science"

Well that has to be horseshit because by next winter there WILL be a vaccine.  They are already on human trials having short cut some of the normal development stages. 

Why would he be more concerned about what happens next winter?

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Not directed at you, just picking up a theme.

We’ve been drilled none stop for years that charisma and style and celebrity and panache and being photogenic trump all other attributes.

We’ve had enough of experts. Gove needs absolute hanging out to dry for that one, where is the greasy smarmy little word removed now, eh?

I’ll go for the scientist that’s not interested in pitching for a place on the next series of Strictly, thanks.

I said "unfortunately has charisma bypass" , not that he shouldn't be the speaker.

Ideally he would be a highly qualified scientific expert who ALSO has charisma. 

You may not like it but messages always get across better and hit their mark if delivered in an engaging way.  Surely getting the message across is the most important thing. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I said "unfortunately has charisma bypass" , not that he shouldn't be the speaker.

You may not like it but messages always get across better and hit their mark if delivered in an engaging way.  Surely getting the message across is the most important thing. 

The message isn't getting across and I don't think anyone can achieve what we all want because... social media and dickheads spouting shite

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I've not been going at all after work but my job makes distancing incredibly hard. I'm a mobile Electrician that works for a large FM company and our clients are mainly all within the retail sector. 

It's quite worrying, but until my company takes the decision to cease operations I guess I'll have to keep going. 

Same in car dealerships chap. People walking in all the time, drivers collecting peoples cars. A letter has gone out saying they will do as much as they can to carry on as normal while we are going through this, an it's just greed they are not thinking about the customer. I'm at WFH now but all the directors are flapping about money asking about figures every day instead of every month, its madness.

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How many families today, on having their planned sunday lunch/mothers' day booking cancelled, will instead be having a large family dinner with visitors from several households? I know there's at least two large groups of the **** in my extended family that won't listen to reason.

The general public are morons.

We normally have my nan round for dinner, we have had to explain to her several times that it wont be happening this year. She cant understand why... we have told her we will cook her dinner and bring it round to her, place it in the porch and go home. She then phoned one of my aunties to say I'm coming to yours then thinking we were being funny with her... it's literally a battle every day with her at the moment. It's getting beyond irritating.

Her excuse about not stopping in is I've lived my life, let the young'uns live theres... when will she understand...

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well perhaps we need someone recognisable and Churchillian to deliver the important messages?

I genuinely have zero interest in the charisma of medical professionals unless they are presenting something mildly interesting on a BBC 4 documentary. For actual life and death facts, I find it less important.

Perhaps, on a much longer term scale, we need to get that drummed in to people, what matters and what is froth. What is a good source of information, what is not. When it’s right to be entertaining and photogenic, when its less important.

That people will take a celebrity doctor that came third on Bake Off more seriously than the best qualified person in the land is a bit damning of our whole education sector.

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well that has to be horseshit because by next winter there WILL be a vaccine.  They are already on human trials having short cut some of the normal development stages. 

Why would he be more concerned about what happens next winter?

Human trials have started, but they don’t expect a vaccine to be ready for at *least* 12 months. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/coronavirus-vaccine-scientist-what-needs-to-be-done-now-hanneke-schuitemaker

At present, we have taken a single viral genome and have used it to create a vaccine of which tests are now starting. In the end, that single piece of virus will be the basis of a vaccine that will have to be given to billions of people. That will require extraordinary efforts in mass vaccine production – and that is bound to take time.

We need to ramp up manufacturing processes in readiness for the vaccine so that we have a head start when one is ready, and has demonstrated protective effectiveness in people – probably in about 12 to 18 months. On top of that, it may be that we will have to be ready to prepare vaccines for seasonal outbreaks of Covid-19 in coming years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497

But even if scientists can celebrate having developed a vaccine this year, there is still the massive job of being able to mass-produce it.

It means, realistically, one would not be ready until at least the middle of next year.

All of this is happening on an unprecedented timescale and using new approaches to vaccines, so there are no guarantees everything will go smoothly.

‘Next winter’ starts in 7/8 months. 

The obvious concern is this does a ‘Spanish Flu’ and comes back harder in a second wave and that’s why a lot of the ‘experts’ are now saying social distancing measures will need to remain in place for 12 months or more. 

The only hope is they find an existing medicine capable of treating the worst cases or stopping case becoming worse to ease pressure on hospitals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

From Tim Shipman in the Sunday Times:

ETsqTFOUcAARfjU?format=jpg&name=large

Just as a counter to "well, they're doing their best and following the science"

This herd immunity plan, pretty much unheard of without a vaccine, pretty much became the governments plan when Johnson gave his first press conference on March 12th. The days lost pissing around sending out mixed messages and not being decisive and forceful with action will cost thousands of lives and they will have blood on their hands after this.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Not linking, as I hate the VT Twitter linking system, and I tend to see tweets as somebody ele's FB screenshots anyway, but... Robert Peston's missus (Charlotte Edwardes) has it, and he's posted her account on his Twitter feed, if you want another first-hand description of what it's like. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Can I just point out we haven't actually closed our schools. We've reduced their capacity.

I, and everyone of my colleagues, will be going in this week to a group of 30+ children, approximately 45 parents, working with a daily skeleton staff of approximately ten to care for these children with no chance of social distancing or protection from any kind from infection. We will be increasing our hours to offer wraparound care and staying open through the holidays. If one person gets infected then all the staff do as they will come in to contact with each other within that rota.

It's an improvement from Friday, but largely the risk to me and my colleagues remains unchanged - we will deal with 30 kids as usual and all get infected if one person in the school does. My wife will, as management, be going in to her school every day with similar numbers. Combined we're going to be coming in to contact with 200 people a day in a confined space with what would be considered super spreaders - children. And we'll do it with a smile, endless energy and a mask of positivity to keep the children unaware of our own personal fears.

But we're closed and safe apparently. Might be wrong to state this aloud, but we're feeling a little under appreciated. Have seen loads of, rightful, support for NHS workers, delivery drivers, shop workers and all those other 'key workers'. We're the only group that will get zero protection from this, no masks, no scrubs, no avoiding the public, no changes whatsoever to our normal routines - in fact an extension of them. 

Sorry, feeling a little fed up tonight.

Excellent post and summing up my feelings. I'm a teacher and my wife runs several psychiatric wards in Birmingham. 

We can't just sit at home. We also have 4 year old twins who we will need to send to pre school. 

My whole family will have to continue leaving the house every day and interacting with strangers and it **** pisses me off. 

And when all this is done do we think anything will change? Or will nurses, drs, teachers and carers continue to get shitted on by the government and those words removed will continue to be voted into power. 

But don't worry some have arranged a **** clap on Thursday so that's alright then. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

One Danish store has come up with a way of stopping people hoarding hand sanitizer.

First bottle 4 euros second bottle 95 euros

Some stores in Sweden who does the same with bog rolls. First pack is regular price, next pack is 100 Kr (about £9)

Skylten på Ica Nära Rosendal i Uppsala.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not linking, as I hate the VT Twitter linking system, and I tend to see tweets as somebody ele's FB screenshots anyway, but... Robert Peston's missus (Charlotte Edwardes) has it, and he's posted her account on his Twitter feed, if you want another first-hand description of what it's like. 

Thank you for this. A lot of these I read of people who are at home trying to get through it I think shouldn't you be in hospital. Temperature of 39+, tightness in chest, breathing problems. I know @LakotaDakota had similar problems and had a paramedic come out who didn't feel he needed to be in hospital. In a lot of cases that may turn out to be true but surely some with these symptoms are going to stay home and be in real danger of it becoming life threatening.  It is scary as if I had those symptoms or saw my wife or kids with them I'd be wanting to get them to the hospital.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Wonder how many lives that decision to go ahead and play that Atalanta - Valencia game in Milan will end up costing.

Bergamo is if not hell on earth then at least hell in Europe now and by all accounts it is the 40.000 or so people who went to that game that brought the virus back with them to Bergamo.

They had and interview on Swedish telly this morning with an ex player (Glenn Strömberg) who played for Atalanta and lives with his family in Bergamo since many years and it is grim.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It seems to massively vary from person to person. The symptoms literally vary from didn’t even know I had it to, very quick death with everything in between.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It seems to massively vary from person to person. The symptoms literally vary from didn’t even know I had it to, very quick death with everything in between.

Apparently loss of smell and scent happens to those who otherwise don't show symptons - useful finding today from an ENT doctor...

Â