Generic Virus Thread

villakram

More scaremongering, this time from an ex-Director of the WHO and current professor at UCL. He reckons London will be worse then Wuhan.  

We can’t be s*iting ourselves enough at this point, read the thread.

I know they’ve been trying their best with the economic side, but realistically if things unfold the way this guy is suggesting I don’t know how Johnson survives it.  

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

All with 'underlying health problems' 

I guess most of us have underlying health problems of some sort... I have asthma and high blood pressure. I guess i'd fall into that category if the worst happens

I have Asthma too, had it all my 48 years. I have to say that since they stopped the planes my breathing has increasingly got better, to the point where I feel like I could run a marathon. I just feel so much more full of life because of my breathing being much better. 

Are you breathing better too? 

Is your boss allowing you to work from home? Mine is determined to have me go to work every day. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I guess most of us have underlying health problems of some sort... I have asthma and high blood pressure. I guess i'd fall into that category if the worst happens

And of course like me, you shit a lot with your  UC, not sure whether my asacol treatment suppresses my immune system but coupled with my asthma, I ain’t going anywhere I don’t have to.

Edited by Sid4ever
Spelling

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I have high blood pressure (though well controlled) and type 2 diabetes.   Just turned 50 so I am quite worried. 

We were working out the other day that our office could well be wiped out. The youngest guy is about 25 and he's the youngest by a distance. Nearly everyone has some kind of health condition 😯

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh people are stupid stupid but I’d rather empty shelves and these people staying at home than them out and about spreading the virus. The stores refill every day. We’re not about to run out.

I've not seen any toilet roll in the shops for over a week now and been to every supermarket locally (which is all of them) every day this week. 

This morning my wife gave a lady in Sainsburys the kitchen roll she had just bought because this lady had broken down in tears at the tills because she couldn't get any toilet roll. 

Edited by sidcow

My missus found out today that her niece (she is in her mid 20s) has Coronavirus. She's been told to stay home and only call 999 if the symptoms get really bad. Thankfully for me, my missus has had no contact with her niece or anyone else close to her niece.

I'm Asthmatic and had my last Asthma attack around six and a half years ago. It was about a month before my girlfriend was due to give birth to our son. I think I got a bit anxious and panicky one evening and as the night wore on I struggled to breathe more and more until my girlfriend decided she wouldn't watch my struggle any longer and drove me to the local hospital. I was kept in for three days on oxygen and steroids.

I've also got a lung weakened as a result of suffering a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung) 16 years ago. I was close to death as the clot was apparently a severe one. One doctor told me I was lucky to be alive but now had a weakened lung as a result of what happened to me. 

Obviously, I'm hoping not to get the virus as, apparently, at its peak it can lower your lung capacity to 20% which makes it difficult for people with breathing difficulties to survive. However, I work several miles away and don't drive so have to take two buses to work and then two home. Its hard to keep distance from strangers when you are invariably sat either directly in front or behind one. I also work in a company of 250 people. I'm pretty exposed to contact so I'm quite worried. Que sera sera I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I have Asthma too, had it all my 48 years. I have to say that since they stopped the planes my breathing has increasingly got better, to the point where I feel like I could run a marathon. I just feel so much more full of life because of my breathing being much better. 

Are you breathing better too? 

Is your boss allowing you to work from home? Mine is determined to have me go to work every day. 

Funnily enough, I was saying to my Dad earlier on the phone that I have used my inhaler less in the last week or so than for the  previous 12 months! Madness isn't it?

Yes, been WFH for more or less 3 weeks already. All our offices have been shutdown for key workers and i'm effectively banned from all company premises, emergencies notwithstanding (like if I need to visit IT for any technical issues with my laptop and phone). 

Your boss is a lemon. Is there any need to go in? You have WFH capabilities? 

5 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

And of course like me, you shit a lot with your  UC, not sure whether my asacol treatment suppresses my immune system but coupled with my asthma, I ain’t going anywhere I don’t have to.

I'm not on any UC medication as i'm not too bad at the minute. Not perfect by any means, but not as bad as it has been.  Stay safe mate. 

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

My missus found out today that her niece (she is in her mid 20s) has Coronavirus. She's been told to stay home and only call 999 if the symptoms get really bad. Thankfully for me, my missus has had no contact with her niece or anyone else close to her niece.

I'm Asthmatic and had my last Asthma attack around six and a half years ago. It was about a month before my girlfriend was due to give birth to our son. I think I got a bit anxious and panicky one evening and as the night wore on I struggled to breathe more and more until my girlfriend decided she wouldn't watch my struggle any longer and drove me to the local hospital. I was kept in for three days on oxygen and steroids.

I've also got a lung weakened as a result of suffering a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung) 16 years ago. I was close to death as the clot was apparently a severe one. One doctor told me I was lucky to be alive but now had a weakened lung as a result of what happened to me. 

Obviously, I'm hoping not to get the virus as, apparently, at its peak it can lower your lung capacity to 20% which makes it difficult for people with breathing difficulties to survive. However, I work several miles away and don't drive so have to take two buses to work and then two home. Its hard to keep distance from strangers when you are invariably sat either directly in front or behind one. I also work in a company of 250 people. I'm pretty exposed to contact so I'm quite worried. Que sera sera I guess. 

Keep the faith @Villarocker  keep your distance as best you can and wash wash wash.  Have a word with your boss to see if you can work different hours to avoid rush hour.  If there is any way whatsoever you can work from home they should allow that with your medical conditions. It would be criminal negligence otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Funnily enough, I was saying to my Dad earlier on the phone that I have used my inhaler less in the last week or so than for the  previous 12 months! Madness isn't it?

Yes, been WFH for more or less 3 weeks already. All our offices have been shutdown for key workers and i'm effectively banned from all company premises, emergencies notwithstanding (like if I need to visit IT for any technical issues with my laptop and phone). 

Your boss is a lemon. Is there any need to go in? You have WFH capabilities? 

I'm not on any UC medication as i'm not too bad at the minute. Not perfect by any means, but not as bad as it has been.  Stay safe mate. 

I was given a company laptop a couple of weeks ago in case anything happens and I need to stay at home. However, my Director told me on Friday that the company needs me on site. I'm going to see my HR Manager on Monday to see where I stand because the Government advice to my kind is to work from home if possible and to avoid public transport. I cannot afford to pay £20 per day - £400 per month - in taxi fares to and from work. It would be better for me to live off 80% of my salary and stay home if they will allow me to. Not sure if the 80% is only for those who have the virus though or whether it applies to people encouraged to stay home when at risk? 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Keep the faith @Villarocker  keep your distance as best you can and wash wash wash.  Have a word with your boss to see if you can work different hours to avoid rush hour.  If there is any way whatsoever you can work from home they should allow that with your medical conditions. It would be criminal negligence otherwise. 

I work 8:30am - 5pm with one hour lunch and my journey each way takes at least one hour so get caught on busy buses to and from work. I asked my Director last Friday if I can change my hours and he said he will discuss it this week with other management as he doesn't want to set a precedent where others want to change their hours too. I would prefer to start at 7:30am and work until 3:30pm and take only half hour lunch so I'm not on the rush hour buses. They might as well do it because if, as he and others tell me, I'm important to the operation why risk my wellbeing? Better to let me work hours suitable for me than lose me completely! 

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I work 8:30am - 5pm with one hour lunch and my journey each way takes at least one hour so get caught on busy buses to and from work. I asked my Director last Friday if I can change my hours and he said he will discuss it this week with other management as he doesn't want to set a precedent where others want to change their hours too. I would prefer to start at 7:30am and work until 3:30pm and take only half hour lunch so I'm not on the rush hour buses. They might as well do it because if, as he and others tell me, I'm important to the operation why risk my wellbeing? Better to let me work hours suitable for me than lose me completely! 

Disgraceful behaviour from your company. I'd ring up on Monday and tell them you are working from home as you need to self isolate as you have underlying health problems. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I would ask for a copy of the risk assessment they have carried out bearing in mind your medical conditions. If it get's to the health and safety officer you will be working from home in the blink of an eye. Your lung condition is top of the list of the government self isolate conditions. 

1 hour ago, Awol said:

More scaremongering, this time from an ex-Director of the WHO and current professor at UCL. He reckons London will be worse then Wuhan.  

We can’t be s*iting ourselves enough at this point, read the thread.

I know they’ve been trying their best with the economic side, but realistically if things unfold the way this guy is suggesting I don’t know how Johnson survives it.  

I have read it and share his fears. I don't get the pissing about either as we had an advantage due to what had happened elsewhere so knew what was coming and knew that we had to put in measures asap. I don't know who we blame for the herd immunity bollocks but I guess the government will hide behind/point the finger at Vallance. Having decided that was not the way to go though and realised we had to slow down the spread why have we taken a week and still not got to total shut down and we have millions of people still blase about how serious all this is. 

The government and Johnson in particular have got this wrong by not reacting quick enough, despite having a heads up,  and by not being forceful enough and also graphic enough in the consequences of what will happen if we don't all do our bit and get this right.

The economic response still needs improvement to ensure we catch and help everyone affected but I hope they will get there this week. Whatever they do in terms of halting the spread though I am scared it is already too late and that failure will cost thousands of lives

Edited by markavfc40

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But that's what I'm concerned about. Obviously, we look for glimmers of good news, but I keep hearing this stuff about Venice and blue skies in China, as if - COV-19 aside - everything is now fine, and climate change has been halted. It hasn't, it'll take a lot more than this to stop it. I keep thinking about all those homes that were flooded only a couple of months ago, and trying to imagine what that would be like if you're in the middle of a pandemic. 

There's definitely not as much pollution around as my breathing is proving this to me. My lungs feel clear for the first time in my life and things are tasting different to me for some weird reason. 

If the conspiracy theory about Chemtrails is correct, that they are put into the sky to prevent the full heat of the sun getting through to us, surely this summer will be one of the hottest ever recorded? That could lead to a lot more damage to the planet. However, they say that the heat will kill this virus so we will see how that pans out in a couple of months time. 

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Disgraceful behaviour from your company. I'd ring up on Monday and tell them you are working from home as you need to self isolate as you have underlying health problems. 

This guy at work really acts like he cares but when I asked to change my hours his true colours shone through. I'll push for wfh on Monday as I have a 6 year old and want to be around to see him grow to be a Father himself one day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I have read it and share his fears. I don't get the pissing about either as we had an advantage due to what had happened elsewhere so knew what was coming and knew that we had to put in measures asap. I don't know who we blame for the herd immunity bollocks but I guess the government will hide behind/point the finger at Vallance. Having decided that was not the way to go though and realised we had to slow down the spread why have we taken a week and still not got to total shut down and why do we have millions of people still blase about how serious all this is. 

The government and Johnson in particular have got this wrong by not reacting quick enough, despite having a heads up,  and by not being forceful enough and also graphic enough in the consequences of what will happen if we don't all do our bit and get this right.

The economic response still needs improvement to ensure we catch and help everyone affected but I think they will get there this week. Whatever they do in terms of halting the spread though it is already too late and that failure will cost thousands of lives

They should have shut all borders immediately and learnt a lesson from what's happened in Italy. Who knows how many infected people we have allowed into the country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Should i be worried.

Woke up this morning with pain in my chest in my breast bone and right pec.

Done nothing physically demanding just woke up and it was there.

Only hurts when i press it or move my arms or stand up and sit down.

No other symptoms i don't think.

Sounds like you've pulled a chest muscle mate.

I've done it many times, mostly in the gym but now and again I've woken up with it.

Get yourself into a comfortable position with arms down where it's not hurting, then move your arms up and it will most likely ache. This will just confirm it's muscular. Normally goes within a few days.

Â