Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Supermarkets locally here were in meltdown yesterday. Crowds at the door waiting for them to open, people getting angry in their cars trying to get in and out of the car parks.

Today, all calm, plenty of stock in all of them. I’m hoping that eventually when people have nowhere left to stack rice and they see it keeps getting restocked, they will get the message.

Literally choices of brands and pack sizes in everything on the usual panic list. Hadn’t realised how wound up I was until that news came through and I felt myself physically relax.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Anyone who knows Tesco at New Oscott these were the scenes this morning. Not taken by me by the way.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, sky and outdoor

Let's say just 1% of the people there were infected this morning, then how many of them are now?

• Sad 2

On 21/03/2020 at 08:39, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

@markavfc40 It’s in a hotel. I was expecting the same thing to happen and that the venue would cancel, but apparently not. It’s probably greed i.e. that the wedding represents a healthy profit for one day to the venue so they’re just unwilling to cancel. 

Did you go mate?

Chinese state propaganda machine switched from story 1 (US special forces covertly spread the virus in Wuhan), to a new line pinning the blame on Chinese migrant workers becoming infected in N Italy and bringing it home.

While we rightly focus on managing our public health emergency, it’s worth remembering all the normal chicanery and inter-state competition continues as normal. China is positioning hard for the post-COVID blame game. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Supermarkets locally here were in meltdown yesterday. Crowds at the door waiting for them to open, people getting angry in their cars trying to get in and out of the car parks.

Today, all calm, plenty of stock in all of them. I’m hoping that eventually when people have nowhere left to stack rice and they see it keeps getting restocked, they will get the message.

Literally choices of brands and pack sizes in everything on the usual panic list. Hadn’t realised how wound up I was until that news came through and I felt myself physically relax.

Well, even though Ocado are getting plaudits for their continuance of delivery, I and many others who've used them for up to 10 years are now faced with a THREE week wait to get a delivery slot, and ALL the special offers have been removed (that I took advantage of in recent months) AND dozens of ordinary items I order weekly are all out of stock.

All because a load of greedy words removed have gone **** mad.

Sorry Ocado but that's not good enough, looks like your loss is adsa's gain.

Just now, rjw63 said:

Well, even though Ocado are getting plaudits for their continuance of delivery, I and many others who've used them for up to 10 years are now faced with a THREE week wait to get a delivery slot, and ALL the special offers have been removed (that I took advantage of in recent months) AND dozens of ordinary items I order weekly are all out of stock.

All because a load of greedy words removed have gone **** mad.

Sorry Ocado but that's not good enough, looks like your loss is adsa's gain.

Wot, no Razzle? 

52 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Anyone who knows Tesco at New Oscott these were the scenes this morning. Not taken by me by the way.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, sky and outdoor

Jeez!

How can anyone standing there think that is a smart thing to do. I bet the Lidl and Aldi nearby were similar as well. 

My dishwasher broke down last week, had a new one delivered yesterday. Thought I'd take the old one to the local tip to dispose of.

A thirty minute **** queue to get in! Why the **** is everyone dumping rubbish at the same time?

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Well, even though Ocado are getting plaudits for their continuance of delivery, I and many others who've used them for up to 10 years are now faced with a THREE week wait to get a delivery slot

Think they've just switched off all slots until they re-write some code to change the website - they need to stop overbuying and over booking...

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Chinese state propaganda machine switched from story 1 (US special forces covertly spread the virus in Wuhan), to a new line pinning the blame on Chinese migrant workers becoming infected in N Italy and bringing it home.

While we rightly focus on managing our public health emergency, it’s worth remembering all the normal chicanery and inter-state competition continues as normal. China is positioning hard for the post-COVID blame game. 

Yeah I still think they've might been withholding the real numbers for a while now and will soon present a huge increase that they will blame on other countries not handling it correctly.

Leaves the party more or less blameless and looking like the only ones who handled it correctly.

Very well aware that this is a tin foil hat theory. But it's China so honestly would not surprise me.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

We could very quickly get to a stage where nurses won't want to go into work for fear of getting ill themselves. It is an absolute disgrace that many of our NHS staff on the front line of this don't even have the basic PPE. I mean we have known about this for weeks and the government are still spouting crap about it being on the way. It makes me so angry. My wife and daughter are both community mental health nurses both for the NHS expected to visit patients with mental health issues who are saying they may have coronavirus. They work for different trusts and no one has any PPE. 

My partner works in a hospital, she says in her hospital they have got the correct PPE etc as far as she knows. She also told me that idiots are not just going into the hospital with symptoms they are also arguing about having to put it on... wtf are these people on?

I have also been told that the masks are useful for around half an hour before being overloaded with germs etc. This is a big concern if true!!!!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Scared, reckless, uneducated and plenty of others. 

I'm avoiding the super/hyper markets now. Will stick to the convenience stores. As a single bloke living on his own, I don't need huge amounts to get by anyway. 

I agree and have been trying my local co op... they have been ransacked. No bread for days, no toilet roll for 2 weeks, no eggs... barely anything. Getting bad now 

• Like 1

Â