Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Booster jab get.

Literally 5 minutes between getting out of the car and back in. Seems like the process now is just get jabbed and **** off - I joined a short queue, got asked to confirm name and reason for getting the booster, sat down for a minute, called through, which arm do you want it in, banged in, something about the NHS app, sod off. No waiting at all, in and out.

• Like 2

Got my 4th today. Updated vaccine which I heard before that they wouldn't give out in Sweden until the older versions were used. But according to the nurse they only kept the older versions for people who want to get their 1st and 2nd. They didn't seem very busy.

It seems that we're at the early stages of another wave again.  Those poor NHS staff who have to deal with this mess.  My concern is of vaccines waning and the impact on my susceptible folks.  With one confirmed as now having kidney cancer (although at the early stages of prognosis) and the other one recovering from lung cancer, I guess I've got no choice but to batten down the hatches again during the week when I know I'm going to see them.  Damn this bloody virus.

Edited by trekka
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

What’s happening with boosters then? Are we going to be sent a message for when to get one? Assuming it’s being rolled out by age again? 

BBC

Who can have an autumn booster?

This autumn, the Covid vaccine dose will be offered to:

• adults aged 50 and over
  • people aged five to 49 with health conditions which put them at higher risk - including pregnant women
  • care home staff
  • frontline health and social care workers
  • carers aged 16 to 49
  • household contacts of people with weakened immune system

These types of headlines don't bring confidence (hence why I'm being so cautious with my folks):

Covid: Protect elderly from rising virus levels in UK - BBC

Covid is on the rise again in the UK and people who feel unwell should avoid vulnerable friends, colleagues and relatives as a precaution, say experts.

Data suggests 1.3 million or one in 50 has Covid, with a "marked increase" in infections among over-70s in England.

There are no new restrictions, but people are being reminded to take extra care and protect the elderly.

There are fears of a flu and Covid "twindemic" this winter, and those who qualify for free jabs should get them.

Well after 2 years of avoiding it. Covid has finally got me.

We had a guy from another dept work in our office last week and he had it… now I’m positive.

Symptoms are flu like, mainly aches and blocked nose.

gutted 

• Sad 3

Got it for the 2nd time today.  Started off as feeling like it was a bad cold. Asked work whether I should be in the office, they were all fine with it.  Left about lunchtime feeling rubbish, temperature up to nearly 39 but seems to be under control at the moment.  Whole household seem to have had it although my gf recently had the booster and although testing negative, she's had pretty much the same symptoms. This virus sucks!

Edited by dubbs

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Lots of anti vax types on social media are acting like they’ve been vindicated over the last couple of days but I can’t figure out why.  Has something happened?

I expect someone got it and didn't die. Proof it was a sham. 

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Am I missing something with this video? The purpose of the vaccine was to lessen the impact of Covid and stop more people from dying or needing critical care, it was never claimed that it would stop transmission. Or am I wrong? 

I was under the assumption it made it least likely for you to transmit the virus. Not sure what’s what but if it does turned out they lied about that then that’s pretty crap. 

I’ve had 3 jabs one being a booster. Don’t really regret having them, but I won’t be having anymore. If I was older or vulnerable then probably yes. 

On 10/10/2022 at 17:41, dubbs said:

Got it for the 2nd time today.  Started off as feeling like it was a bad cold. Asked work whether I should be in the office, they were all fine with it.  

Not totally surprised some companies have this attitude but it seems a stupid decision for your work to say come in and spread one of the most transmissible viruses around. 

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Am I missing something with this video? The purpose of the vaccine was to lessen the impact of Covid and stop more people from dying or needing critical care, it was never claimed that it would stop transmission. Or am I wrong? 

There’s a small gap in some logic. We had this way back in the thread when the vaccines came out. It’s this: suppose someone, unvaccinated (which was most people at the start) has covid. Imagine that a vaccinated person then spends an hour in the same room as the covid person. That vaccinated person (or 100 vaccinated people) were found to be less likely to die, suffer severe effects, suffer minor effects or suffer no effects as a consequence of being vaccinated, compared to 100 unvaccinated people. If the virus entered their nostrils it was attacked via antibodies and T cell reaction. In some people that gave no symptoms in some, mild…etc. What it didn’t do was prevent transmission, other than if you count those people with no symptoms despite exposure as not having “caught” the virus. In which case it was found to reduce transmission when compared in statistical analysis, to unvaccinated people. There was loads of stuff at the time in science papers and wotnot. Another thing is obviously the different variants and how effective the vaccines are against them.

I’ve not watched the clip, but I’d wager it’s, or whoever the tweeter is, doesn’t understand science, statistics etc. or is a complete weapon or a throbber of one sort or another.

edit. Just watched the start. Timing. Passports came out after the vaccine, not at the start. And also being vaccinated did and does reduce the R number and reduce the number of people infected, Ill and dead overall. The vaccine reduced the size of the “pool” of potential dead victims or severely ill victims. The passports, where they were used, were also a tool to persuade people to get vaxxed, and that was something that on the continent was deemed by governments and scientists as necessary to overcome greater reluctance to get vaccinated, due to general population scepticism.

• Like 3

My Twitter time line is full of the vaccine stuff today frustratingly as none of the tweets I am seeing are from people I follow.

It doesn't seem like news at all and is what we all knew that you could still transmit the virus having had the vaccine. The only thing it did highlight is the ridiculous process later on that you could go to a venue with a negative test or be vaccinated. Which again we all knew was ridiculous we knew it was still transmissible. 

The vaccine still would have reduced greater transmission doing what it was designed to do.

13 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I believe there were claims it would reduce the transmission. I remember reading this around the time I had the vaccine. 

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I believe there were claims it would reduce the transmission. I remember reading this around the time I had the vaccine. 

well there's nothing contradictory between these posts. Reduction does not equal stop. It does not stop transmission, but it could mitigate and reduce it. But I do remember that distinction often being too complex for the hard of thinking. How far the mitigation extended was the question, as far as I remember anyway. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Lots of anti vax types on social media are acting like they’ve been vindicated over the last couple of days but I can’t figure out why.  Has something happened?

"I haven't had the vaccine and I didn't die from covid therefore the vaccine was a sham"

That's usually the logic

It's like one person out of 300 passengers surviving a plane crash and then claiming plane crashes don't kill people

• Like 4

Â