Generic Virus Thread

villakram

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not 100% certain it’s safe no , but I don’t see any real evidence saying it’s unsafe. Because I’ve stopped watching news and stopped reading papers covid has disappeared from my thoughts. I don’t even think about it when in crowded areas. What I’ve seen around ne gives me little concern. Add to that it’s been a bad year in my personal life I just haven’t gave it any thought. It’s not about not being bothered to have it. 

I still don’t really get it but you do you 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Covid seems to be everywhere again. Luckily it’s mainly just a heavy cold for a few days.

Yep, a lot of people at my place have it. I think its a combination of the cooler autumn months and workplaces pushing for more people to come back into offices. Trains are rammed again now. Not quote pre-pandemic levels but maybe 90% at rush hour, or it seems to be. 

Chap I sat next to in the office last time I was in also has it. Luckily though, its just a cough and cold for a lot of people and perhaps feeling a bit run down. 

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not 100% certain it’s safe no , but I don’t see any real evidence saying it’s unsafe. Because I’ve stopped watching news and stopped reading papers covid has disappeared from my thoughts. I don’t even think about it when in crowded areas. What I’ve seen around ne gives me little concern. Add to that it’s been a bad year in my personal life I just haven’t gave it any thought. It’s not about not being bothered to have it. 

Thing is, the benefits of the vaccine you had last year is waning every day.  You may ignore the news but Covid is on the rise again. 

Next time you get it, the vaccine you had last year may not help you as much.  You may get really ill and need hospital taking up valuable resources. 

Yesterday we were at the eye hospital for my wife, we saw the top man who finally signed her off.  As we were leaving I stopped and told him we wanted to thank him and all the team there who had been brilliant. 

Throughout the consultation he'd been cool and professional. 

Honestly I thought he was going to start crying, had a virtual breakdown. He started a monologue about how Coronavirus had ripped the NHS apart. 4 other Hospitals in the area used to offer forms of eyecare services but with coronavirus they had all stopped doing so and so they now take 100% of eyecare meaning huge increases in patients with no extra funding so they're all at breaking point. He thought it a miracle we felt we'd been properly looked after as they're generally faced with angry frustrated patients. 

My view is if I can spend 5 minutes of my time to keep myself healthy, even if there is only a small chance of getting seriously ill, then I need to take it. Firstly to help out the poor buggers trying to work in Hospitals so they've got 1 less patient to deal with and secondly to help ensure there are resources for some other patient who maybe didn't have the chance to take a jab to keep them out of Hospital. 

Hospital is NOT a place anyone wants to be right now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thing is, the benefits of the vaccine you had last year is waning every day.  You may ignore the news but Covid is on the rise again. 

Next time you get it, the vaccine you had last year may not help you as much.  You may get really ill and need hospital taking up valuable resources. 

Yesterday we were at the eye hospital for my wife, we saw the top man who finally signed her off.  As we were leaving I stopped and told him we wanted to thank him and all the team there who had been brilliant. 

Throughout the consultation he'd been cool and professional. 

Honestly I thought he was going to start crying, had a virtual breakdown. He started a monologue about how Coronavirus had ripped the NHS apart. 4 other Hospitals in the area used to offer forms of eyecare services but with coronavirus they had all stopped doing so and so they now take 100% of eyecare meaning huge increases in patients with no extra funding so they're all at breaking point. He thought it a miracle we felt we'd been properly looked after as they're generally faced with angry frustrated patients. 

My view is if I can spend 5 minutes of my time to keep myself healthy, even if there is only a small chance of getting seriously ill, then I need to take it. Firstly to help out the poor buggers trying to work in Hospitals so they've got 1 less patient to deal with and secondly to help ensure there are resources for some other patient who maybe didn't have the chance to take a jab to keep them out of Hospital. 

Hospital is NOT a place anyone wants to be right now. 

I think I’m a little bit wound up more at the moment so apologies to anybody.  My sister in law collapsed on Monday after dropping my nephews at school.  She was walking back home and blacked out about 9.15am, as she came around she called the ambulance and knew I was in the area so called me.

I got there in quickly, ambulance got there quickly as well.  My brother (her husband) who has to travel during the day was fortunately in the midlands area and was able to get there within half hour.  The ambulance assessed her breathing issues and extensive medical history and took her to hospital.  We followed and got to Good Hope before 10.30am.  

My sister in law had to then sit in the back of the ambulance until she could be seen by a consultant.  Amazingly she got given a Covid test around 7pm in the Ambulance and got taken in at 8pm for assessment, bloods and all that.  I picked them up well after 10pm and she was sent home to rest and is still doing so now and she’s on the mend thank god.

Hospitals are slammed at the moments talking to the ambulance crew and given my sister in law sat in the back of the ambulance for 9 or more hours for something while not critical or life threatening but still serious says it all.

We have to do everything ourselves to help with that and doing things like keeping myself healthy especially with things as simple as a vaccine seems a no brainer.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed your sister-in-law is OK quickly mate.

Hospitals/ambulances are at genuinely chronically bad levels right now.  This winter is going to be an absolute shit show.  There will be SO MANY (otherwise preventable) deaths.

Edited by bobzy
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hospitals/ambulances are at genuinely chronically bad levels right now.  This winter is going to be an absolute shit show.  There will be SO MANY (otherwise preventable) deaths.

Thanks mate.  

Yeah I agree about preventable deaths this winter, it’s not good.

17 hours ago, Tayls said:

12 people on my course yesterday. Down to 9 people today. 3 of them have covid. Small room, air con, been having lunch together, some even had dinner together in the evenings etc. …. Yea, it’s going to spread through all of us. Yay. 

We were down to 8 today. Let’s see how it goes over the weekend! I bet there will be a few more come Monday. I’m already starting to feel a little rough but not sure if psychological….

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's just that sadly the UK has more people who are likely to die from a lack of hospital staff than other countries, and there's nothing we can do about it.

The latest update from the ONS (as of yesterday) :angry::

The following points are for the week ending 3 October 2022 for England, and the week ending 29 September 2022 for Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.

• The percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) continued to increase in England and Northern Ireland, increased in Wales, and the trend was uncertain in Scotland.
  • In England, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 1,513,700 (95% credible interval: 1,428,900 to 1,604,500), equating to 2.78% of the population, or around 1 in 35 people.
  • In Wales, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 74,900 (95% credible interval: 60,700 to 90,900), equating to 2.47% of the population, or around 1 in 40 people.
  • In Northern Ireland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 45,100 (95% credible interval: 35,300 to 56,100), equating to 2.46% of the population, or around 1 in 40 people.
  • In Scotland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 109,700 (95% credible interval: 90,400 to 131,200), equating to 2.08% of the population, or around 1 in 50 people.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Never heard of it before but something called Disclose TV doesn't sound particularly reputable to me.

The Daily Mail, on the other hand... 

• Like 1

Had my latest booster yesterday, no side effects apart from the standard sore arm

I was going to ask about getting the flu jab at the same time, I didn't have to bother asking, it was straight up asked at the outset if I wanted it at the same time.

Also I was literally in and out in 5 or 6 minutes, totally efficient system at the chemist I went to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Had my latest booster yesterday, no side effects apart from the standard sore arm

I was going to ask about getting the flu jab at the same time, I didn't have to bother asking, it was straight up asked at the outset if I wanted it at the same time.

Also I was literally in and out in 5 or 6 minutes, totally efficient system at the chemist I went to.

I am booked in for the 27th for the flu jab and will ask for the booster while I am in. Took a minute to book the appointment. 

• Like 1

I felt pretty rough after I posted in here last night but today I feel fine but with a much stronger line on my test.  Almost exactly how I felt after my second jab.

I get a bit confused by the rules still, I can nip to the shop if I wear a mask can't I?  

Â