Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All hail big pharma, saviours of humanity.

They actually are. That doesn't mean they're not moneygrabbing sharks. 

The two things are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

"I haven't had the vaccine and I didn't die from covid therefore the vaccine was a sham"

That's usually the logic

It's like one person out of 300 passengers surviving a plane crash and then claiming plane crashes don't kill people

'I am alive today yet billions have died before me. Therefore I am immortal.' 

• Like 1

We seem to have peaked where advancements in technology made the population more intelligent and are quickly moving in the other direction. 

It's quite scary to think what the world will be like in another 10/20 years. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We seem to have peaked where advancements in technology made the population more intelligent and are quickly moving in the other direction. 

Yep. I worry about my kids who like most others, watch a lot of youtube.

My lad sometimes mentions stupid conspiracy stuff that I have to nip in the bud. I’m hoping that it actually opens his eyes to not believe the junk that gets posted by unfounded theories but I worry some will still get through and land with him.

I think over the next 10-50 years we’ll see a lot of monumental moments like Brexit, anti-vax, end of the world shit based on internet experts.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So the thing that might have saved you which wasn’t much inconvenience to have you won’t have any more of them.  

If you’ve had Covid in the last couple years, you don’t know whether without the jab that it could’ve hit you a lot harder, life threatening potentially.  

Plus you are partially protecting people you come into contact with who could be the older and vulnerable including I assume family members.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t get it.  I get my booster next week, 15 minutes out of my day, no big deal and based on medical experts thinking we should get boosters.  Given I’m not a medical expert and I like my health and family’s health I follow their advice especially as it’s not an inconvenience and doesn’t affect me massively.

edit: I’m not trying to get on a soapbox but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t do something that has little inconvenience and protects you from severe side effects and people you come into contact with.

Playing devil's advocate but I think the current 'argument' is that this part is perhaps not the case.

52 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Playing devil's advocate but I think the current 'argument' is that this part is perhaps not the case.

1) even if it’s a debate which currently seems nothing more than a conspiracy theory from non-experts it’s not worsening the problems at this point. They are basing it on a Pfizer Exec saying they never initially tested for it.  That doesn’t mean it doesn’t and was an assumption from experts based on other vaccines, and expert knowledge and it doesn’t mean other pharma didn’t test for it.

but more importantly…..

2) it’s still stopping the person whose getting the booster from getting severe symptoms from Covid.

Edited by nick76

If the only benefit of having the vaccine was to protect others, and it became proven not to be the case then I could agree with a level of annoyance from people feeling they were duped into having it.

As it was though there were other far more valuable personal heath reasons for being vaccinated so it’s a pretty pointless point to make.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We seem to be also be at the stage where some people that have studied a topic all their life are less believed than some keyboard warrior that has no expertise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I guarantee many illnesses that were practically extinct will be more prevelant because of people falling for the anti vax idiocy. 

What makes people go online and do things like convince people to self harm or commit suicide or make shit up to put people off valuable medicines? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Big Pharma.  Another great catchphrase to demonise a whole industry. You never hear about cancer patients or haemophiliacs banging on about "Big Pharma" do you. They're just grateful for the amazing medicines keeping them alive or living more ordinary lives. 

Such a good point. 

I worry how easily some peoples frustrations and anger are manipulated by what tends to be far right news outlets. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Such a good point. 

I worry how easily some peoples frustrations and anger are manipulated by what tends to be far right news outlets. 

The irony is traditionally 'big pharma' would have been more of a bogeyman for the left.  Rampant profiteering and all that jazz.  

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I guarantee many illnesses that were practically extinct will be more prevelant because of people falling for the anti vax idiocy. 

What makes people go online and do things like convince people to self harm or commit suicide or make shit up to put people off valuable medicines? 

Hasn’t had the vaccine = going online and encouraging people to commit suicide.

Well, at least we have reasoned discussions here, don’t know where I’d go for that if it weren’t for this thread.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hasn’t had the vaccine = going online and encouraging people to commit suicide.

Well, at least we have reasoned discussions here, don’t know where I’d go for that if it weren’t for this thread.

This is part of the problem of reading things and allowing themselves to see the answer they want. Sidcow is pointing out things that idiots do online, it's a list of things. 

• Like 1

Â