Generic Virus Thread

villakram

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The irony is traditionally 'big pharma' would have been more of a bogeyman for the left.  Rampant profiteering and all that jazz.  

I think it's that circle thing where extreme left and exteme right start to have overlap. 

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hasn’t had the vaccine = going online and encouraging people to commit suicide.

Well, at least we have reasoned discussions here, don’t know where I’d go for that if it weren’t for this thread.

Sorry where have I accused you of making up shit to put people off taking valuable medicines. Please highlight the part of my post where I said that? 

21 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Might be something to do with this:

I'll get cracking on this once I've finished the Flat Earth, Area 51/Roswell, Black Knight satellite, Annunaki, faked Moon landing, JFK, Chemtrails documentaries.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry where have I accused you of making up shit to put people off taking valuable medicines. Please highlight the part of my post where I said that? 

It appeared to be implied, given that it was gratuitously grouped into a post regarding ‘anti-vaxxers’ and their supposed predilections.

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It appeared to be implied, given that it was gratuitously grouped into a post regarding ‘anti-vaxxers’ and their supposed predilections.

The presence of the word "or" negates any implication you may be drawing from that post.

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It was in response to how the world will look in 10 to 20 years from now as people turn their back on science. 

My point was that I consider people who deliberately spread disinformation about incredibly important medicines that can save lives are cut from the same cloth as people who encourage people to harm themselves.  To deliberately just make stuff up to discredit life saving medicines, I just can't understand what motivates someone to do that. 

We're already seeing increases in Mumps and Measels in the UK following the shit that was published in mainstream media 20 years ago about the MMR vaccine.  The vaccine that has been proven to be safe after 20 years of analysis. 

I can see other diseases making a comeback too. 

Interestingly the guy who started the whole MMR thing was started by Andrew Wakeman who had made shit up and who is now a huge figure on the Anti Vax movement in the USA who I suspect are big online influencers in the Anti Covid Vaccine movement on social media.  I'm sure a lot can be traced back to him. 

He's probably responsible for more deaths than anyone on the planet right now. 

Edited by sidcow

58 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I feel like we can just blame Putin for all the problems of the modern world and call it a day. He's the catch all modern-day bogyman 😁

Russian Twitter trolls have attempted to fuel the anti-vaccination debate in the U.S., posting about the issue far more than the average Twitter user last year, a study out of George Washington University has found. The "sophisticated" bots shared opinions from both sides of the anti-vaxxer debate, which took the U.S. by storm and prompted tech companies to crack down on the spread of misinformation surrounding vaccinations.

CBS News from May 2019 (and that was about Measles)

You can genuinely put the blame at Putin's door on quite a few issues that have dominated Western Media in the last ten years. The Russian disinformation campaign has run rampant through Western society. His trolls have exploited any minor issue and amplified them way beyond their relevance until they've become the debate. They've meddled in elections, they've funded extremist parties and views... Brexit, Trump, Anti-vax, Tory Party, Farage, Galloway you name it they've been pushing views that attempt to destabilised Western society. They even push the other side of the debate to amplify it beyond what it naturally would be.

Putin really is the bogeyman

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

So the thing that might have saved you which wasn’t much inconvenience to have you won’t have any more of them.  

If you’ve had Covid in the last couple years, you don’t know whether without the jab that it could’ve hit you a lot harder, life threatening potentially.  

Plus you are partially protecting people you come into contact with who could be the older and vulnerable including I assume family members.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t get it.  I get my booster next week, 15 minutes out of my day, no big deal and based on medical experts thinking we should get boosters.  Given I’m not a medical expert and I like my health and family’s health I follow their advice especially as it’s not an inconvenience and doesn’t affect me massively.

edit: I’m not trying to get on a soapbox but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t do something that has little inconvenience and protects you from severe side effects and people you come into contact with.

Well I’m kind of in a different place with covid now. I’ve taken the decision that I don’t think I need to be vaccinated and that’s my choice and personal opinion. I’m not anti vaxx far from it. It’s just a decision I’ve came to. I’ve had covid before and it was mild . Maybe the vaccine helped make it mild or probably it was just a mild case like most peoples is. I could die from covid who knows but I could get ran over and die tomorrow. I don’t give it much a thought now. Don’t watch news, don’t read papers and it’s kind of taken a back seat in the news anyway . I know a lot of people who have had it. The world is getting on with things now and people shouldn’t be made to feel bad about not having a booster . Do I think it’s serious? It can be yes , but I’ll take my chances . As for protecting other people, well I’m not sure how much I’m protecting other people. 

As I said I’m not anti vaxx . If someone told me yeah I’ve got a booster tomorrow I’d be fine with that and wouldn’t start talking shite to them about having it done. I had my vaccines to help the country and public to try and push forward. I’ve got a more open opinion about it now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well I’m kind of in a different place with covid now. I’ve taken the decision that I don’t think I need to be vaccinated and that’s my choice and personal opinion. I’m not anti vaxx far from it. It’s just a decision I’ve came to. I’ve had covid before and it was mild . Maybe the vaccine helped make it mild or probably it was just a mild case like most peoples is. I could die from covid who knows but I could get ran over and die tomorrow. I don’t give it much a thought now. Don’t watch news, don’t read papers and it’s kind of taken a back seat in the news anyway . I know a lot of people who have had it. The world is getting on with things now and people shouldn’t be made to feel bad about not having a booster . Do I think it’s serious? It can be yes , but I’ll take my chances . As for protecting other people, well I’m not sure how much I’m protecting other people. 

As I said I’m not anti vaxx . If someone told me yeah I’ve got a booster tomorrow I’d be fine with that and wouldn’t start talking shite to them about having it done. I had my vaccines to help the country and public to try and push forward. I’ve got a more open opinion about it now. 

Ok! I don’t get it but your choice of course.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok! I don’t get it but your choice of course.

Don’t get me wrong If I feel I need to get vaccinated again then I would. At the moment I just don’t feel that’s the case. The vaccines have been great. Not perfect , but they did/do a job . No agenda here from me regarding vaccines .

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

The one thing I'd say is that I assume you make preventative measures to reduce your chances of getting run over, by using pedestrian crossings, or walking through the subway rather than crossing busy roads, looking both ways before you cross the road etc.  Having a booster jab if and when they decide the public needs to if the hospitals look like getting overwhelmed isn't that much different imo.

I see your point. I suppose I’m just getting on with life without worrying about it or thinking I need to have that vaccine . I know it’s still there but it’s the new norm. I said way back in the thread I didn’t want to keep having boosters and I’ve arrived at the point where I don’t want them at the moment . It may well change, it’s been a funny old year with my mind on other things. My wife had her booster a few weeks back so she could go on holiday to Lanzarote. It was either that or risk doing test on day or something . 

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I see your point. I suppose I’m just getting on with life without worrying about it or thinking I need to have that vaccine . I know it’s still there but it’s the new norm. I said way back in the thread I didn’t want to keep having boosters and I’ve arrived at the point where I don’t want them at the moment . It may well change, it’s been a funny old year with my mind on other things. My wife had her booster a few weeks back so she could go on holiday to Lanzarote. It was either that or risk doing test on day or something . 

This is not me having a dig but it’s ironic (probably in the Alanis Morrisette way) that the time you spent in this thread today including writing the comments is longer than it would take to get the jab.  

Also if you aren’t bothered about the vaccine why bother with this thread.  

I hope you change your mind by yourself at some point, this virus has killed too many and I’d rather people be safe than sorry.  Anyway I’ll leave you alone now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If we put aside the fact that the vaccine isn’t just about you… then this is all fair enough. But my question is why?

It takes, genuinely, about 5 minutes to get the vaccine or a booster. What about it makes you NOT want to have it? Are you scared of needles? Do you think the vaccine is unsafe? Can you just not be bothered?

Genuine question 

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, bickster said:

CBS News from May 2019 (and that was about Measles)

You can genuinely put the blame at Putin's door on quite a few issues that have dominated Western Media in the last ten years. The Russian disinformation campaign has run rampant through Western society. His trolls have exploited any minor issue and amplified them way beyond their relevance until they've become the debate. They've meddled in elections, they've funded extremist parties and views... Brexit, Trump, Anti-vax, Tory Party, Farage, Galloway you name it they've been pushing views that attempt to destabilised Western society. They even push the other side of the debate to amplify it beyond what it naturally would be.

Putin really is the bogeyman

His influence over Brexit needs to be looked at in depth. It seriously benefits Russia that we are divided from Europe. 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we put aside the fact that the vaccine isn’t just about you… then this is all fair enough. But my question is why?

It takes, genuinely, about 5 minutes to get the vaccine or a booster. What about it makes you NOT want to have it? Are you scared of needles? Do you think the vaccine is unsafe? Can you just not be bothered?

Genuine question 

I’m not 100% certain it’s safe no , but I don’t see any real evidence saying it’s unsafe. Because I’ve stopped watching news and stopped reading papers covid has disappeared from my thoughts. I don’t even think about it when in crowded areas. What I’ve seen around ne gives me little concern. Add to that it’s been a bad year in my personal life I just haven’t gave it any thought. It’s not about not being bothered to have it. 

12 people on my course yesterday. Down to 9 people today. 3 of them have covid. Small room, air con, been having lunch together, some even had dinner together in the evenings etc. …. Yea, it’s going to spread through all of us. Yay. 

Â