Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

I didn't think he looked that bad - he seems to have an idea of what he wants to do and a sensible football head - he's not the most expansive or the most ambitious and he's not going to open teams up or score a lot of goals - but Luiz and Drinkwater behind Grealish could be a decent central three while we wait for the return of McGinn. 

Our problems are elsewhere.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I certainly don’t think he was that good but neither was he as bad as some seem to suggest 

It’s just his fitness. He was always going blow out of his arse after ten fifteen minutes. 

If he looked sharp in training I fear for how our other midfielders have looked in training.

I still think he can come good though, the first 10-15 mins I thought he looked composed, pointing and taking up some good positions, he looked quick in his little bursts when he pressed at times, but on longer distances he seemed terribly slow. Really hope his legs haven't gone. 

Everyone knew he was lacking match fitness and that it will take some time for him, I guess the thinking was doing it the hard way, that it's nothing to wait for just thrust him in and let him get his match sharpness up as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I guess theres some method in the madness of him playing today. He needs time on the pitch, and this game is basically a write off. Playing him now has less risk than playing a game we would bank on having a chance in.

Did people want him to come in against Brighton? At least we know where he's at in a write off match. So many people using him starting as another stick to beat Smith with in hindsight when I'll bet they wanted him starting before KO

41 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think you can judge on on today's performance. Throwing in from the start versus City was a baffling call by Smith. Should have been no more than 15-20 minutes today.

I disagree mate. He needs match fitness and whatever anyone says about selection or tactics we were always going to lose today, so I actually think it was quite shrewd to put him straight in today rather than trying to get him "match fit" during a game we need to win, is the next 2. 

I don't think starting Drinkwater was a bad shout. He needs game time, and better to do it in a game like this, where we were on a hiding to nothing to begin with.

Starting Hourihane was a bigger mistake. He again proved why he belongs in easy games, and not this type of match.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Why the heck did Smith start with him against Man City of all teams when he has only played one game all season. Not match fit. 

Because we need him to be match fit quickly. And the only way you get match fit, is by playing matches. 

• Thanks 1

Just like our other 10 players he got to watch a stupendously talented team from an extremely close distance while also getting some exerciser.

Hopefully they all learned something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

That was the worst debut I've seen in years.  To be directly involved in giving away four goals takes some doing.

Up there with Hause's debut from last season.

• Like 1

Â