Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I didn't think he was that bad. Watching the highlights back he was directly involved in the first 3 goals, however he had two players either side who shirked all defensive responsibility all game.

We effectively hung him out to dry yesterday.

The only bonus is that he now has minutes under his belt and he will improve over the next few games. Technically he is very good, head and shoulders above Hourihane and Lansbury.

He will come good, unfortunately time isn't on our side.

Yes I agree with this, he really was hung out to dry by his team mates. He was massively off the pace (made to look worse by Man City) and lacked sharpness but at least he made the effort. As you say hes now got minutes under  him so hopefully its all improvement from here.

• Like 1

I’m in agreement, out of the three midfielders I thought he was ok.  Yes he cocked up a bit re the goals but general play was much better than CH and DL, and considering he’s had no game time and thrown into the fire of Man City, it’s a free pass from me to get game time and up to fitness.  He did ok.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DeepDish said:

Hope he don't start the next time we play City, because the development of those stats indicate murder one!

He will be cup tied for the Carabao Cup final 😂😉

Edited by Zatman

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I didn't think he was that bad. Watching the highlights back he was directly involved in the first 3 goals, however he had two players either side who shirked all defensive responsibility all game.

We effectively hung him out to dry yesterday.

The only bonus is that he now has minutes under his belt and he will improve over the next few games. Technically he is very good, head and shoulders above Hourihane and Lansbury.

He will come good, unfortunately time isn't on our side.

I think him being directly involved in us conceding three goals is pretty bad to be fair mate.

I also think you're being a tad harsh on Hourihane and Lansbury, from a technical aspect I think both are a pretty capable, it's the other deficiencies in their game which is a problem. I would say he's technically head and shoulders over Nakamba and Luiz though.  

Anyway, the first 15 minutes showed to me he can be an asset to us and an upgrade to what we have, just needs to get to full speed and like you say time unfortunately isn't on our side with massive games coming up. 

Baptism by fire yesterday. Not going to judge him on one appearance + it being his first game of football in a while and against Man-bloody-Citeh. Good to see him get some minutes and hopefully we see a completely revitalized performance against Brighton assuming DS sees him fit for the task.

That was one of the worst debut's in the history of football. Fat and slow. We would be better off with Jedi or Whelan.

IT was up there with Ugo's debut which wasn't actually his debut. and bryan small's who trod on the ball with his first ever touch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

That was one of the worst debut's in the history of football. Fat and slow. We would be better off with Jedi or Whelan.

IT was up there with Ugo's debut which wasn't actually his debut. and bryan small's who trod on the ball with his first ever touch.

It wasn't.

The whole team had a poor game.

• Like 1

In the second half we wasn't worse than anyone else for us, but in the first he gifted them 1 goal and was directly involved in another 3 by not tracking his runner and not making tackles.

Hard to look past that.

Hopefully a sobering experience.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I only saw the early part of the game & he didn't look that bad then but i guess if he tired it was always gonna happen with his lack of playing time.

I actually thought the opposite.

I thought he was dreadful early on, looked rust as hell, but settled in (as well as can be expected when getting battered by City) as the game went on.

I think he would have been hooked at half time if we were still in the game but was left on for fitness/sharpness.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Some perspective on Drinkwater:

After yesterdays game he has now played more minutes in 2020 than he did in the whole of 2019.

His last 3 games have all been against Manchester City, for Chelsea, Burnley and Villa.

Shows just how far he will be from match fitness and sharpness.

Hope we are not picking too much of his wages.

Had a look at his FM20 stats just to get a better idea what his best attributes are and what he can provide to our team.

Apparently, his best attributes are

-Off the ball

-Passing

-Team Work

-Vision

-Determination

Whilst his weaknesses are

-Heading

-Dribbling

-Flair

-Leadership

-Strength

I'd like to say this overlaps most with Douglas.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Hause had one of the worst debuts for us since Curtis Davies, but Drinkwater's performance yesterday was pathetic...  Both Hause & Davies got a lot better for us, so I'm hoping Danny will turn out good, too.

• Like 2

Â