Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Had a look at his FM20 stats just to get a better idea what his best attributes are and what he can provide to our team.

Apparently, his best attributes are

-Off the ball

-Passing

-Team Work

-Vision

-Determination

Whilst his weaknesses are

-Heading

-Dribbling

-Flair

-Leadership

-Strength

I'd like to say this overlaps most with Douglas.

Any stats must be seriously out of date or based on a very small sample. He’s barely played any top flight football for 3 years.

58 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Any stats must be seriously out of date or based on a very small sample. He’s barely played any top flight football for 3 years.

Well yeah, but at the same time I don't think his best attributes are likely to change much since when he did a play a lot. For example, If you were known for being a ball passer 3 years ago, even if you've barely played since, I would still expect passing to be one of your best attributes nowadays. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well yeah, but at the same time I don't think his best attributes are likely to change much since when he did a play a lot. For example, If you were known for being a ball passer 3 years ago, even if you've barely played since, I would still expect passing to be one of your best attributes nowadays. 

I think players do change. Early promise dissipates. Injuries slow them down. And so on. 

There is probably a reason why he hasn’t hardly been selected for 3 years. 

We will see...

Wouldn’t be surprised if the club arrange a behind closed doors friendly this week to give him another 60 minutes game time with the U23s.

Drinkwater could be very important to our stay in the premier league. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

The first goal on sunday, He was partially to blame, I think he did enough to put Mahrez off as the strike was not clean more Nyland ‘s fault imo beaten at his near post again, reminiscent of his performance v Nott Forrest last year only against this team we couldn't play the you score we score game  

On 13/01/2020 at 14:17, sne said:

In the second half we wasn't worse than anyone else for us, but in the first he gifted them 1 goal and was directly involved in another 3 by not tracking his runner and not making tackles.

Hard to look past that.

Hopefully a sobering experience.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

The first goal on sunday, He was partially to blame, I think he did enough to put Mahrez off as the strike was not clean more Nyland ‘s fault imo beaten at his near post again, reminiscent of his performance v Nott Forrest last year only against this team we couldn't play the you score we score game  

He did absolutely nothing to put Mahrez off and I think Nyland was probably a bit unsighted. Whether Nyland could have done better, if you let a player like Mahrez approach the goal virtually unchallenged, you must expect he is likely to score

Edited by briny_ear

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

He did absolutely nothing to put Mahrez off and I think Nyland was probably a bit unsighted. Whether Nyland could have done better, if you let a player like Mahrez approach the goal virtually unchallenged, you must expect he is likely to score

I was actually right behind the line of vision of Nyland and from where i was he actually had a very good line of sight of the shot he just failed to react to it. Had he actually dived he would have likely saved it. A good keeper would have stopped that. As for what Hause was doing in his pathetic defending is another matter entirely. It was like both of them were just ball watching tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I was actually right behind the line of vision of Nyland and from where i was he actually had a very good line of sight of the shot he just failed to react to it. Had he actually dived he would have likely saved it. A good keeper would have stopped that. As for what Hause was doing in his pathetic defending is another matter entirely. It was like both of them were just ball watching tbh.

Agree entirely about Hause. Seemed to me Nyland did dive, but too late, which is why I was wondering if he had a clear view.

But it wasn't my intention to open a debate about whether Nyland was at fault - rather to throw some nails in the track of the motor that seemed to be starting up of the "Drinkwater had a great game and he will save our season (3 year old stats prove this)" brand. He had a poor game and made a lot of key mistakes and a judgment about his usefulness to the team must be on hold at the moment.

Edited by briny_ear

50 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Agree entirely about Hause. Seemed to me Nyland did dive, but too late, which is why I was wondering if he had a clear view.

But it wasn't my intention to open a debate about whether Nyland was at fault - rather to throw some nails in the track of the motor that seemed to be starting up of the "Drinkwater had a great game and he will save our season (3 year old stats prove this)" brand. He had a poor game and made a lot of key mistakes and a judgment about his usefulness to the team must be on hold at the moment.

Yes i agree

Re Nyland yes he did actually dive but way to slow to react, it was as though he was watching the player not the ball which i always thought was the wrong thing to do... always keep your eyes on the ball was how i was coached many years ago as the player can deceive you but then i'm no pro 😂

On 14/01/2020 at 13:14, briny_ear said:

It’s not mutually exclusive to say he had a poor game but was our best midfielder... that’s the problem. Anyway, let’s forget about that game - City thrash a solid percentage of their opponents. Hopefully we look better tomorrow!

Despite the disaster against Man city, I think sentiment towards Drinkwater will improve. He is a very talented player on his day and can thrive again, especially if we can string a few results together. He will be desperate to get back on track after three terrible years. I sincerely hope he can turn it on for us. The past is past. Do your thing Danny.

Â