January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 hour ago, useless said:

QPR didn't sign any 'footballing superstars' when they were spending relatively big money they were buying the likes of Chris Samba, and Loic Remy, and Junior Hoillet. The point is if you spend on proven quality you're more likely to succeed than if you spend on hopefuls. My proposal isn't that we try and emulate The Hoops as managed by Sparky, but look to what teams like Wolves have done, no reason why we can't find similar signings to the likes Jimenesz and Moutinho, one wasn't getting a game for Benfica and the other was becoming surplas to requirements at Monaco, but still were both proven quality.

Don't take Wolves signings too seriously. They aren't really a proper club who has to look and find players. Jorge Mendes decides who goes where and they're just a part of his network.

We could have bid £20m for Moutinho and he'd have still gone to Wolves for £5m. What a bloody player btw! Only Grealish has composure that gets near his, he forces everyone to play because he shows them how "easy" it is.

• Like 1

I'm not saying we copy them completely and try and sign a bunch of Mendes clients, just that loans with an option to buy, is a good strategy for us to bring in some quality, especially with the Euros coming up, decent players who aren't getting a game at the top clubs will be more open to coming to the Premier league as a means of playing their way into international squads.

• Like 2

Imo we need players in this order of importance.

1) 2 x wingers (or inside forwards - whatever variance)

2) 1 x DM

3) striker (but less important that 1 or 2 by a long way for me)

2 x new wingers/inside forwards is the difference between staying up and relegation for me, if we can get those positions ticking we would look like an entirely different team.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Imo we need players in this order of importance.

1) 2 x wingers (or inside forwards - whatever variance)

2) 1 x DM

3) striker (but less important that 1 or 2 by a long way for me)

2 x new wingers/inside forwards is the difference between staying up and relegation for me, if we can get those positions ticking we would look like an entirely different team.

A direct replacement for McGinn is probably more important than a DM right now imo. Not a chance we will be buying 2 wingers unfortunately but can certainly see one coming in as it is desperately needed. For me we need.

1. Winger 

2. Striker

3. CM 

14 hours ago, PrimevalVillan said:

Sounds like the doctor's orders. Wingers have to be the top priority. 

If nothing else it will create competition for places and show our current wingers to be more pragmatic in their approach. Jed Wallace seems to have a quality in a player which I love - intelligence. 

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I wish the Danny Drunkwater rumours would go away!

I don’t think people realise how much damage binge drinking does to an elite athletes body. It’s a no to Danny Drinkwater for me.

I hope he sorts his life out ASAP though. I don’t like seeing guys literally peeing their lives down the drain. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

We can only make 2 Premier League loans and only 1 per club

Drat. 

Then Batshuayi on loan and buy Pedro for pennies, he’s out of contract in the summer I think. We can find other Drinkwaters elsewhere.

Drinkwater wouldnt get in our midfield, Bannan be a better option if we looking to sign cheap.

Also people at Chelsea will have told Terry what Drinkwater gets up too plus we just paid off a pisshead in the summer

Edited by Zatman

11 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Most bona fide footballing superstars are not looking for a relegation battle.  It makes the January window even more difficult when prospective players know they could be relegated. I see two or three loan moves till the end of the season as the answer. I realize it is not building for the future but its all about survival now. 

I think (hope) we can possibly pick up an ageing superstar looking for an interesting challenge at the end of a successful career - as Cambiasso was for you. It's what this team needs tbh - last year Whelan performed that role well, and we definitely need a similar influence on the squad, because (Heaton excepted) it feels very much like a group of kids who are struggling to come to terms with the responsibility they've been given.

I'm on board with Purslow's strategy of buying lots of young talent, but I think it was a huge mistake to not offset that with a couple of wise heads. Heaton isn't enough, really - he can't influence the game most of the time. And the existing older players like Taylor, Elmo, Chester, etc. just aren't good enough to start regularly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Wingers have a worry for me all year.Trez,Jota,Anwar or Jack (out wide!) are not cutting it.

Two new wingers will change us dramatically.

As long as they are good of course .

I really don't think we will sign two new wingers, DS may continue to play Jack wide left for the rest of the season with a new winger on the right at an uneducated guess either Benrahma or Bowen (i'd take either both would be a ideal), or he might put his faith in AEG on one wing and a new winger on the other so Jack can stay as CAM I do think that is the most likely.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Drinkwater wouldnt get in our midfield, Bannan be a better option if we looking to sign cheap.

Also people at Chelsea will have told Terry what Drinkwater gets up too plus we just paid off a pisshead in the summer

This is nonsense, I know for a fact he only drinks water.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think (hope) we can possibly pick up an ageing superstar looking for an interesting challenge at the end of a successful career - as Cambiasso was for you. It's what this team needs tbh - last year Whelan performed that role well, and we definitely need a similar influence on the squad, because (Heaton excepted) it feels very much like a group of kids who are struggling to come to terms with the responsibility they've been given.

I'm on board with Purslow's strategy of buying lots of young talent, but I think it was a huge mistake to not offset that with a couple of wise heads. Heaton isn't enough, really - he can't influence the game most of the time. And the existing older players like Taylor, Elmo, Chester, etc. just aren't good enough to start regularly.

I'm also completely on board with the clubs vision for the future too, but right now I'd happily take Giroud for the rest of the season. We've done incredibly well considering the lack of PL experience in this team but a couple more wise heads would go million miles to keeping us up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Can’t believe there have been no new signings yet.

Same. I want them to rush to get players in that their current clubs aren't bothered about having replacements for so we can start writing them off next week.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Can’t believe there have been no new signings yet.

Me neither. I’ve had my mid morning cuppa and a biscuit, but absolutely nothing!  We’re sleep walking into relegation. A striker by lunchtime and a couple of wingers before afternoon tea or I’m going to start questioning the ambitions of our board. 

• Haha 1

Just now, zab6359 said:

I'm also completely on board with the clubs vision for the future too, but right now I'd happily take Giroud for the rest of the season. We've done incredibly well considering the lack of PL experience in this team but a couple more wise heads would go million miles to keeping us up.

I think what you’re saying is true but I don’t think Giroud is the answer, he’s a spent force for me